General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

InControl Connectivity Expires...then what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 10:48 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default InControl Connectivity Expires...then what?

Hopefully this is the right place for this question.

My free Incontrol subscription doesn't expire for another year or so, but I'm wondering what happens after it does. I can't find any details with regard to subscriptions or pricing. Has anyone reached the end of their InControl subscription and renewed? How much does it cost?

Unlike some I've had great luck with the Remote App and I'd like to maintain that functionality as long as I have the car.

Thanks in advance!

-Joe

Old 10-11-2019, 09:26 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would also like this answered if anyone knows. Just got my 2016 XF this week and those features expire in about a year as well.

Also I would like to add that they missed an opportunity to increase the usefulness of this app. I live in a cold climate area for 7 months out of the year, using the remote start is pretty much required to allow the engine to warm up before putting it on the road. They have Homelink that allows the vehicle to open and close your garage door. So why couldn't they allow that option in the app as well? My car is going to be running in a closed garage for about 10 minutes before I get to go out and jump in it and that's 10 min of exhaust fumes filling up my garage. They could easily have the app check the vehicles location via last GPS coordinates, compare it with the use of the homelink button and predict if the vehicle is parked in the garage or not. Then ask you during startup if you would like to operate one of your garage doors. I would assume this is not possible because the homelink function is not tied into the vehicle outside of the mirror itself and that is a shame because you can remote start your car, which creates a toxic environment in enclosed areas.

Last edited by Dregun; 10-11-2019 at 10:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
XFJoe (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 02:11 PM

The only price info I've found for this was from a UK based Land Rover forum. Apparently you'll receive an email with current prices when you're close to your renewal date.

InControl remote + Secure is £240 (12 months)
InControl remote only £30 (12 months)
https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/v...php?f=8&t=7668

Old 10-11-2019, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dregun
They have Homelink that allows the vehicle to open and close your garage door. So why couldn't they allow that option in the app as well? SNIP
While that's a great idea on the surface I understand why Jaguar would shy away from such functionality. The Homelink system doesn't communicate both ways. It just sends out a signal and relies on the user to verify that it was actually received and opened the door. Because the car can't verify that the signal was received (or even know if the door was up or down to begin with) there is a very high chance of failure. Even one such failure could kill a lot of people if a car ran in an attached garage for an extended time. No way is JLR going to take that risk/liability.

I think I'll just keep my original garage door remote in the house and click it before remote starting the car. I've got a sensor that tells me what position the door is in so it should work out fine.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:30 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I understand the legal issues this could bring forth but the vehicle has sensors to detect objects in front and behind the vehicle. Couldn't they just access the sensors, trigger the mechanism to open the door and verify that the sensor now is sensing no obstruction where their once was? I mean even the backup camera could have a simple motion detection algorithm running that looks for vertical motion once homelink has been activated. The system could even trigger the doors first and give a bypass warning saying something like...

"The vehicle has sensed the door has moved to an open state, this process does not guarantee the door is actually open, press "Ok" to continue and start your vehicle"

I'm thinking about installing my own smart door system using an arduino, then I could trigger the door from my phone before I start the car, could even install a couple small switches on the door itself to detect up or down position and have that fed back to me as well.