General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Issue with USB socket

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 04:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Issue with USB socket

Hello all,

I’ve just made the replacement of my old LOW UIP with a UIP HIGH with SIM and HDMI to activate the CarPlay in my Jag MY2016 with ITCP.

All SDD programming and configurations were made by a professional(LR Retrofits) in remote and everything were ok. Now I have ACP and AA in my ITCP and other new options like AHBA(automatic high beam assist - see photo) and Parking sensors activation at low speed (-10kmh - before only activated with reverse).

But here is the problem, USBs don’t work and I don’t know why and maybe someone could help me to find the issue.

The new UIP looks like it would be well. It has lights all around the connections and ACP could be configurated. But I can’t connect my phone by USB to the unit, no signals of connection. USB cable is well(checked in rear USBs).

At this point I have to explain what happened few weeks ago when I connected it the first time to check the connections previously to the process of upgrade.

I’ve ordered a cable to give power to this unit(I’ve ordered a complete cable, with 3.5m of HSD to connect to the unit in the trunk but this connection was not made for the moment), a cable with a green pin to connect to the old one connected to the old UIP unit. When I connected this to the new UIP it doesn’t work, no lights in USBs, SIM or HDMI. And a burning smell and a slight smoke came out from the UIP. Inmediately I disconnested the unit. I checked the green connector and I saw that cables were wrong connected, they were connected backwardness 😰. Then I changed these cables to its right position. I connected the green pin again an it to the UIP and lights in the USBs, SIM and HDMI appeared. It looks like the new UIP were perfectly working, only needed to configurate ITCP and modules to have ACP/AA. But USBs didn't work anymore at that time. In this moment I connected the old LOW UIP and I remember that USBs didn’t work neither in this(I have to tell that some days before I connected my phone and it works well).

So now I have a question. The person who did the configuration tells me that the problem is probably in the USB repeater(see photo) because if the UIP has lights it is working, obviously he was able to update to CarPlay and if the unit did not work it wouldn’t have been possible, I think. The second option is that one problem was caused in the UIP HIGH unit when I connected first time and something inside was/is damaged.

Then, anybody with knowledge can tell me something about? Obviously if the problem is in the USB repeater this piece is cheaper for replacement. In this case anybody can tell me where it is located in the car? He told be it is in backside of the rear seats, in a lateral. But exactly? How can I have access to it? If finally the problem is in the new HIGH UIP, I will have to replace it again.