General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I've fallen, and I can't get up!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts
Default I've fallen, and I can't get up!

A little levity helps a depressing situation.

For those not familiar with American culture, that title phrase is from a classic television commercial where an elderly woman seems to be trapped against the bathroom floor. The advertisement is for an emergency response pendant, that with a monthly fee guarantees someone will come pick you up.

So here is the situation, I need help from those knowledgeable of IDS and DTCs. Techs or learned members, please respond.

A few weeks back I asked the forum about the fuel economy display in the instrument cluster of my 2003 S Type 3.0. Checking the fuel trims was suggested. I used my trusty (or so I thought) mongooser with my dedicated to Jaaag laptop to check the trims.

For those familiar with IDS, you have the option to display DTC codes when first starting a session, so I did. This is what was displayed, please see capture0.jpg.
At this time, there were no faults displayed on the instrument cluster, no check engine lights, no abs, DSC, or other lights on, none of that stuff. I subsequently used a regular OBD II reader, and it reported no codes except the P1111.

So in capture0.jpg, we see that every section has 7 DTCs. And what are they? Take a look at capture1.jpg. Here I have opened the sections for the ECM and the Audio module. If I were to open all modules, they would have the same DTCs as the Audio module. You can see that the differences between the ECM and the Audio module is that the first DTC is C1095 instead of U1095, and the last DTC is P2477 instead of B2477.

Looking up these codes in JTIS are as follows:

C1095 - DSCCM pump failure. (There is no DSC light)
C1145 - RH front wheel speed sensor circuit fault. (There is no ABS light)
P1111 - System readiness test.
C1155 - LH front wheel speed sensor circuit fault. (There is no ABS light)
C1165 - RH rear wheel speed sensor circuit fault. (There is no ABS light)
C1175 - LH rear wheel speed sensor circuit fault. (There is no ABS light)
P2477 - not in JTIS.
U1095 - not in JTIS.
B2477 - (there are many of these) xxxx module incorrectly configured or configuration failure.

Note that while C1095 is highlighted, no information about the DTC is available. This was true for any DTC that I selected.

So, every module, regardless if it is an audio, seat, climate control, etc, it has 4 ABS DTCs. Also interesting is the chain icon. I am not familiar enough with IDS to know what this means. Locked DTC? Permanent DTC?

Let say we pick just one module to self-test, such as the Instrument Cluster, it actually doesn't matter which one. After the test completes successfully, the DTCs have changed to capture2.jpg. Note how now there is an "Other" grouping with modules. The difference now is that the DTCs for modules that I did not perform self tests, have decreased. If we were to look at the ECM and Audio modules again, we see in capture3.jpg that the C1095 and P2477 DTCs are gone. And in the Audio module, all that remains is the B2477. Note that now information is provided about the DTC.

If I were to erase the code for the B2477 or any DTC for that matter, or if I were to re-read the DTCs again, the "Other" grouping would disappear and the screen look the same as capture0.jpg, that is, all modules back to 7 DTCs.

Thinking that this problem might be with the laptop, I switched to another, and the same results were seen. Concluding that the mongooser was defective, I ordered another. No, same results with that new unit as well. So it appears that the problem is with the car.

I did a hard reset by disconnecting the battery and shorting the leads. Nope, DTCs still there. I removed and inspected each fuse. Nope. I reseated all relays. Nope.

Again, the car drives fine. There are no lights or faults displayed. I would like to just ignore this, but it has me concerned, What if I need to diagnose real faults in the future?

So, who can help this old lady up off the bathroom floor? Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails I've fallen, and I can't get up!-capture0.jpg   I've fallen, and I can't get up!-capture1.jpg   I've fallen, and I can't get up!-capture2.jpg   I've fallen, and I can't get up!-capture3.jpg  

Last edited by heima; 03-03-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Sounds like a software bug in IDS.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Can you plug it into another Jagwar?

Old 03-04-2013, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Sounds like a software bug in IDS.
I thought that too, but one laptop has V131, the other has V130, and they both exhibit this problem.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Can you plug it into another Jagwar?
Sadly, no others available to me. I'm a one-Jaguar family.

I don't know if another Jaaag owner would be willing to hookup to the mongooser, just so that I can verify if it is at fault.

And I found the ad on YouTube!

Last edited by heima; 03-04-2013 at 10:43 AM.