General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Which Jag has the least problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Jag has the least problems?

Hello everyone, Im new to the site here and have been a Jaguar enthusiast for sometime now and really want to get into my first jag but the horrible reliability issues have always put me off. I really love the look of the S Type but heard they have been pretty bad untill the 2005 model and up. Is the 3.0 V6 in the S Type and X Type good or the 4.0 & 4.2 V8 from the S Type and XJ better. Which model/engine packages have proven to be most reliable? I'd really appreciate your advice, thanks for reading

Old 02-10-2010, 11:30 AM

Honestly REDXRS05, a lot of Jaguar owners say 03 and up models are more reliable vs the older models. It's mainly up to you on what you want tho. Do you want power? Etc. Etc. Whatever you decide to do PLEASE PLEASE get a extended warranty with it it'll save you in the long run. Good luck!

Old 02-10-2010, 11:47 AM

Thanks, I've learned the hard way about getting extended warranty's lol so if I buy a Jag i'll be sure not to forget the extended warranty

Old 02-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

In the UK at least, warranties on second hand cars do tend to be not worth the paper they are written on. Sellers are interested in making money, and as soon as yours is in their account, there is usually an immense loss of interest.
I wouldn't run away with the idea that Jags. are going to be problematic in the reliability stakes though. I had three french cars in a row before my S-typeD, and they were all unreliable, cost me dear in repairs, and had the kind of faults NOT REPORTED in the appropriate fora for them. The second french car, a Citroen C4 diesel auto-electric gearbox job, decided to set itself on fire while I was shopping and no-where near it, thank God. Imagine if I'd been on the motorway at 70mph! The Citroen wasn't a financial disaster because the insurance co. paid out ok. Repairs cost for these french cars made a complete nonsense of the good fuel consumption I was getting.
Are you likely to do all right with a Jag. for reliability? Truthfully, I don't think they are any worse than average, and certainly a lot better since the Ford involvement. Cost of spares? Well here in UK. there are many suppliers of parts which aren't exactly kosher, BUT do the job all right. We call them "pattern parts" as made to the right spec., but not Jaguar sourced, and not Jaguar priced.
Go on, have your Jag! But be as careful over checking it before purchase as you would with any car. If you not too car-engineering based, take someone with you who knows. Even pay someone with your hard-earned if push comes to shove.
Leedsman.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

95-97 xj6

03 up xj8 xk8 stype

stay away from 98 my anything

not to crazy about x type cost of repair is high

Old 02-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Hi Redex

I assume you are talking about recent Jaguars. They have been made since the 30s so there were plenty of models over these years. Generally speaking, the straight sixes built from 1995-1997 were very reliable, but the XJ with the V8 was very troublesome until the engine was sorted out around 2003, (although even then the cam chain tensioner was still plastic). The XJ with the 4.2 litre V8 engine is usually OK. I believe the aluminium XJs from 2003 were pretty good but do have a few issues

S-types from around 2003 generally OK and from around 2005 very OK. MY next door neighbour has one (an 05 2.5 litre V6 Auto), and it has been totally reliable.

X-types had problems with the transfer box for the AWD, I believe. I don't know much about these cars, but it is common knowledge they have much commonality with the FOrd Mondeo (European model).

Old 02-15-2010, 11:11 AM

Well thank you all for the helpful replys. I've narrowed down my search to 03 and up S Type's and XJ's with a 4.2 or 05 and up S Type's with a 3.0. These seem to be the most solid based on my research and help from everyone i've asked.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:27 AM

I wouldn't disagree...Leedsman.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:00 AM

Red,

From what I've seen in the forum, your narrowed search range is probably right on. I would add that, regardless of your search range, it is best to have an independent inspection done by a qualified jag tech prior to purchase. While shade tree and other independent shops can do a good inspection, jags tend to have their own peculiarities that are most readily identified by a person familiar with repairing them on a regular basis. Just my 2 cents, though the education from which it comes cost monumentally more money than what the advice is worth.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:54 PM

Hey guys,

How about the XJS 92 12 cyl ??

Old 02-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

The one that is likely to have the least problems is any model purchased new from the showroom floor and subsequently sold before the warranty runs out.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i would say 92-97 XJ6 bulletproof s-type i generally good no engine problem on the V8 steeltensioners from 03 and up but if the tensioners are changed ther arent any problem whith the erlier ones aswell.

The X-type is not a choice i would consider autotrans is terribly bad

Old 02-21-2010, 03:59 AM

A general remark on how to buy a more reliable car -- at least if you're talking european.
Most big manuf. have a production run for any model of about 10 years. Ir seems to be a statistical fact that more problems are encountered during the early years of manuf. than with the later years. The makers seem to have done all the mods, made all the recalls toward the end of the run. So... buy toward the end run when the model is over 8 years or so. Of course, there's a trade-off, isn't there always? You won't be able to keep up with fashion, and always have the latest model! It would make sense then to buy a 2 or 3 year old job as soon as the manuf. announces a replacement. Most of the heavy depreciation is over then, and the car should be as reliable as you can reasonably ensure.
Example with Renault Megane:
Early on, quite a few ruined their diesel engines because the egr valve would 'stick', raising the exhaust temperature. This burned off the oil in the turbo bearing ruining the 'fit' between the bearing components. The unaware driver bombing up the motorway at 70 or 80mph. would suddenly be faced with a "full-throttle" condition in which the engine could not be controlled. It was on full power as the engine oil was sucked into the air intake via the knackered bearings on the turbo (pressurized oil feed to these bearings!). The engine then "screamed itself to death", the driver switching off the ignition to no avail, until all the oil was consumed and the engine seized. Cost-wise then a write-off. When Renault revised the egr valve on later models, end of problem.
Leedsman.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:48 PM

Thank you all for your helpfull replys. One other thing if any1 knows- is the X type with the 5 speed manual better than the auto? I've heard the 3.0 X-type manual trans hasn't had negative feedback like the 2.5 auto.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The manual transmission is OK and if you go with the 2.0l then the auto works aswell.

But 2.5 and 3.0 with auto is not so very good... But do you realy want an X-type its just a dressed up Ford Mondeo

Old 02-21-2010, 05:14 PM

I'd only consider the X type cause it comes with a manual trans. There isn't a 2.0 in any Jaguar here in the US I know of.... S Types with manual trans are very rare here too

Old 02-22-2010, 05:57 AM

If you don't mind stick-stirring all the time in heavy traffic the manual will give better mpg., not to be sneezed at these days...
Yes, the X-type IS a Mondeo in drag, but I think it's a better looker. The extra dollars you pay is for better interior etc. I like the estate car/station wagon much more than the saloon, the rear of the X-type saloon doesn't seem quite right to me. You'll get a better price for the wagon when you come to sell too. I think the inception of the X-type saved Jag's bacon at the time, there's loads of them around UK.
Leedsman.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:07 PM

The most common Jag here in the US is the X type in my opinion. Its just finding one in stick is difficult. I don't mind it cause i don't usually have to sit in traffic.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The X Type 2.5 manual is a very underrated car and is MUCH more than a dressed up Mondio. It has a substantially stiffened body and of course, all wheel drive. My recently departed 2002 X type held up better cosmetically than any other car I have ever owned. It consistantly got 27-28 MPG on the highway, would cruise serenely at 90 MPH, and was great in bad weather. If you can find a manual trans model, I would recommend it.