General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Jag Tech help - Adding boost to new 5L SC engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Jag Tech help - Adding boost to new 5L SC engines

So, I am wanting to upgrade the pulley on my 2010 XKR, and am wondering about a few things:

1. Will this void my factory warranty?
2. Will the additional boost (approx 1.5 lbs with the Mina pulley upgrade) actually be used or will it be bled off by a boost controller of some type?
3. If the boost is not bled off, can the ECU software manage the additional boost?
4. Will the additional boost cause any long term issues with the intake components/pistons/etc? (i.e. will the additional boost exceed what the system was designed to handle?)
5. I'm assuming additional boost will cause an increase in fuel consumption - is this correct?

Thanks very much for any help that can be provided!!!

Old 04-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

rscultho, if you are still under a factory warrantee, I can almost garantee that it will atleast void your power train warrantee, if not the whole thing. Dealerships lately have been getting hounded by the manufacturers about approving "warrantee work" on modified vehicles that the modification is what caused the problem (or could have lead to the problem). It has gotten so bad that with the new diesel engine trucks, simply putting a different muffler on the truck (a non-OEM one) is enough to void the whole warrantee.

As for the added boost, you should feel some additional power and the ECU should be able to manage the additional boost. As whether there is a part on the car that will bleed off that added pressure, I do not think so. But, I could be wrong. As for the intake and whatnot taking the extra boost, that shouldn't be a problem. You are running essentially a Ford intake on the car and I have seen 5.4L motors have their boost doubled with no issues.

As for the internals, they should handle the extra power with no problems. They are normally overly built on motors like this. The 5.4L Ford motors with factory 360 hp could easily be upgraded to 600 hp without cracking the block open. Now, you start to go hog wild and I will venture to guess that you will need to do more than simply add a new pulley.

As for fuel consumption, you make more power, you will use more fuel. How much more depends on how much of the pedal you decide to use and how often. I would say with moderate use, you can plan on a 1 mpg loss overall. More playing, plan on 2-3. You keep it easy, 0.5 or less.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Received 8,075 Likes on 4,870 Posts

Jaguar issued this TSB in 2004 so be AWARE!!!!!!!!!

bob gauff

Attached Files
Old 04-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Veteran member

That was from back in 2004. They have gotten much more strict about this as time has gone on. Do the upgrades at your own risk.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

damn you guys are doom and gloom. scare tactics. that pretty much pertains to ecu remapping or the "resistor trick" wires into the MAFS. Things like exhaust, intake filter and "ahem" pulleys have to be proven to have caused the failure(read Magnuson Moss Warranty Act). I have seen may cars over the yrs running smaller pulleys from 1.5-3#ers. none have had any engine issues. further more most Dealer techs wouldnt look twice at a pulley or even realise its was changed(exception is a 3# that has to have the snout machined down alittle to fit, theyre alittle easier to spot, but again only if youre looking). the engine and ecu will easily adapt and not only will it increase boost, but the boost comes in sooner on the rpm range too. ECU remapping is where the biggest issue lies in potential damage if done incorrectly. It only takes a slight miscalculation in ignition/fuel mapping to torch a piston. That being said the 5litre since its new is looked at closely for engine failure for several reasons
1, to indentify issues that may require changes to components to improve reliabilty. Especially since it is THE NEW V8 for the line.
Most notably at the time water pumps that fail and leak. even run into overheating too much it CAN blow headgaskets and warp heads( IM replacing a head on 1 now for this very reason). So if it says"low coolant level" pull over and investigate and fill up with water. Dont keep driving till it damages the engine.
2, parts are not out in the system for the 5litrs like the older engines and all failures are tested as to the cause. The engine Im doing now in the past may have just been replaced with a factory remanned unit. But Im putting a head on instead, that is as long as the head doesnt take too long to get
Why dont you just trade in for a new XKR S. alot more power than youll get from the 1.5 pulley and no issue if something happens, That said, its your car, Ide do it and have to my own vehicles

The following users liked this post:
rscultho (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Veteran member

Brutal, I am not saying that you can't fight it, but at the same time, I have heard many horror stories from guys in my truck club that have done very simple mods (new muffler, or new intake, etc) and the dealership has told them that their warrantee is null and void now. If they have a problem with it, then Ford (in my case) is going to be seeing them in court. Call it scare tactics, call it what you want. that is what is happening. I do not think many people are willing to battle a major corporation like that. Hence why they are doing it.

I am like you, my car, I am responsible for what damage I may do to the vehicle when trying to get more power out of it. But, at the same time, if a part fails and it is not due to what I have done, the warrantee should cover it.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

I definitely don't want to do anything that puts my warranty in question.

The car is a beast now. If the XKR-S has "a lot more power" than this one, then I'd probably lose my license.

I guess I may be somewhat naive in this respect, but this past weekend I purposefully went out to a lonely stretch of road and put it in Dynamic mode and then stepped on it.

Wow - I don't even know how to describe it. 0 to 60 in 4 seconds? I think that's a bit understated...

Old 04-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Veteran member

rscultho, I guess you need to ask yourself how well do you know the dealership and what is your standing with them. Some dealerships are "mod friendly" and will look past some things, while others are very uptight and will void the warrantee for even thinking that you modified something. I know with my truck, the one dealership I tended to use, they knew me by name, asked me what they were doing to my truck today, and treated me a lot differently than most of the customers. But then, I brought them paperwork from Ford that they didn't have, I knew the trucks inside and out and pointed out trucks on the lot that had manufacturing defects, etc. So, in their eyes, I wasn't the "average Joe". They just weren't sure who I was. But, at the same time, there was a few things I brought the truck in for that they could have very easily denied since my truck was lifted and highly modified.

You can try asking them a "what if I did XXXX to my car, does that void the warrantee?" See what they say. You can at least get a feeling for what their stance is. You may also find that if the dealership installs the upgrade (will cost you more), because the dealership installed it, that will help maintain the warrantee. Granted, some may install it, but will say that they can not guarantee your warrantee either. This is where some research is going to be vital.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:43 AM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

Warrant - warrantee - warranter - warranty...who knows?