General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Jaguar Brakes - Performance + Looks

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar Brakes - Performance + Looks

Hi Everyone,

Nice to meet you, I am interested in brakes on Jaguars.

Would any one like to share their opinion about the brakes on the new Jags.

Especial the performance variants like: XK - RS, XJ R, XF RS and F - Type?

What do you think about them visually and performance wise?

Are cross drilled brake discs (rotors) better or at least do the look better?

In your opinion how do they stack up against the competition:

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar Brakes - Performance + Looks-2012-jaguar-xkr-s-brake-caliper.jpg   Jaguar Brakes - Performance + Looks-wavy-brakes.jpg  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Well Eryk,
I like the top picture better with the flame red, but that's just a cosmetic view, you may find heaps of alternative or indeed mainstream views.
Personally, as long as the brakes are good and I trust them that does me and I can sometimes not explain exactly the reason why I like something, just that I do!
At a second glance, yes it's top again! Regards, Stu

Old 07-10-2013, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart Beattie
Well Eryk,
I like the top picture better with the flame red, but that's just a cosmetic view, you may find heaps of alternative or indeed mainstream views.
Personally, as long as the brakes are good and I trust them that does me and I can sometimes not explain exactly the reason why I like something, just that I do!
At a second glance, yes it's top again! Regards, Stu
Thank for you through... May I just ask if its because the calipers are red?

what about those brakes:

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar Brakes - Performance + Looks-2014-porsche-911-gt3-wheel-brake-caliper-photo-513241-s-1280x782.jpg  
Old 07-10-2013, 09:55 AM
GGG
Received 16,869 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Eryk,

I've moved your thread from New member Area - Intro a MUST section to General Tech Help section. The New Member Area is for Intros.

Please post again in New member Area - Intro a MUST section with some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 07-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,932 Likes on 3,228 Posts

Eryk, I think you are going to find that the braking systems that you are inquiring about will more than do what you are going to ask of the car. Unless you have a semi-professional racing career behind you, the braking system of almost any Jaguar (including the non-racing versions) will exceed what you need.

As for the painted caliper. That is a personal preference thing. Me, I am more of an understated type of person. I don't want to flash that I have some expensive braking system in my car. You take the "Jaguar" labeling or the "RS" labeling and rearrange the letters, as I see it, it will spell "STEAL ME". I am one of those that would leave the lettering there, but do more of a black on black setup just to confirm to those that are in the know that yes, I do have the original stuff. But, it is not out there to brag to the general public.

With all this being said, can you take a Jaguar braking system and make it better. Of course. Anything can be made better with enough money. But, the idea with the highe end versions is that you don't have to invest that money as it has already been done for you. In my case, I have an X-Type that while the braking system is more than adequate for the car from the factory, I decided I wanted something a little different. I bought me a set of cross drilled slotted rotors (I will let you decide if all that is required) with a quality set of ceramic pads. Now when I stomp on the brakes, I worry about pushing the bumper into the pavement because it stops that hard (could I actually do that, probably not, but it definitely will pull you out of the seat).

Please keep in mind that the calipers/rotors/pads is only but one part of the complete braking package. You can have the most powerful braking system in the world, but if you are matching it up to a set of 155/70R13 wheels, the first time you even mildly step on the brakes, those skinny tires are going to lockup and slide on you, making your braking highly compromised. This is where having quality rubber will also play a big factor. Also having an ABS system that is very responsive can play in.

So, are you more interested in the performance or the look. I find that if you go after the look, you are going to loose out on some of the performance that can be gained and vice versa.

One last thought to keep in mind: It is great that you can stop in a matter of a few feet/meters, the question is whether the guy behind you can stop in that same distance? Seen many a fancy car trashed because the fancy car driver used his car to the max but the person behind them didn't have that fancy car and drove right through them. So, it is a double edge sword.

Last edited by Thermo; 07-10-2013 at 11:43 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
Bad Cattitude (07-10-2013), Stuart Beattie (07-11-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Chris that was a Great Post, I envy your outlook!
Eryk,
I must admit, what Thermo says about the brakes is spot-on!
BUT, the red calipers do it for me!
Ha ha, maybe I just see RED TOO OFTEN!