General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Jaguar Rear Suspension in my Hot Rod

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar Rear Suspension in my Hot Rod

I just purchased a 1932 Ford 3 Window coupe with rear jaguar suspension. I would like to identify the year of this unit. There are numbers/letters on the bottom of the differential but very difficult to read as some are worn). The also some numbers/letters next to the cover plate lower right hand position. I'm also need to hook up an emergency brake so would appreciate any assistance on determine the year and hooking up the rear emergency brakes. Thanks in advance for your input!

Chuck
Charlotte, NC

Old 12-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,975 Likes on 7,210 Posts

Originally Posted by 1rad55
I just purchased a 1932 Ford 3 Window coupe with rear jaguar suspension. I would like to identify the year of this unit. There are numbers/letters on the bottom of the differential but very difficult to read as some are worn). The also some numbers/letters next to the cover plate lower right hand position. I'm also need to hook up an emergency brake so would appreciate any assistance on determine the year and hooking up the rear emergency brakes. Thanks in advance for your input!

Chuck
Charlotte, NC

Assuming it's the popular inboard brake IRS the same basic design was used from 1961 until the early 90s. Naturally there were detail changes along the way... and two different manufacturers of the differential itself. If it doesn't have a drain plug it's a Dana-manufactured differential. If it has a drain plug, it's a Salisbury built diff.

I'm not personally aware of any decoding onfo but there's probably something out there somewhere, They're not normally identified by specific model year.

You probably have a late 70s-thru 80s set-up out of an XJS or XJ6.

As for the parking brake do you have anything at all? Cables, calipers, anything?

Cheers
DD

Old 12-29-2011, 05:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Can I assume you do have hydraulic brakes on the rear ?

The two hydraulic brake calipers have lugs on them to mount the handbrake caliper. The handbrake works on both discs, and there is a cable and compensator linkage mounted on the subframe of the suspension cage.

Check what is there and what is missing. Virtually all the parts are available for the handbrake, but maybe not the linkage, so you might need to search around for used parts

Old 01-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In years past there were a LOT of hot rods with the jag rear suspension and drive geara assyemblies. Given that the units were all so similar, you could check with some of the hot rod shops or owners since it was such a popular installation. It shouldnt be much of a problem to get ahold of the information and parts you may need.