General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

jaguar xkr alloys

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2024, 09:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default jaguar xkr alloys

Good afternoon all
Well got to say probably messed up but someone out there will confirm this for me. i placed an offer for a set of venom alloys from ebay, i did not fully look over the post and did not realise that now your offer is accepted they are automatically paid for. fair enough but when they turned up they were all 10j 20", does anybody know how these might fare on the front with 265 35 20 tyres on. have any of you dared go to that extreme, look forward to the interesting replies.
thanks everyone
joe

jag xkr 2012

Old 07-08-2024, 01:12 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

jagjoe79, I think the real question is whether 2 rims have 1 offset and the other 2 have a different offset. Then you might be fine. 265 tires are going to be about 10.5" wide at the tread. So, the sidewall is going to be pretty straight up and down and this may result in a slight dip in the center of the tire. But, under normal air pressure, they should be pretty square. This can be confirmed with a chalk test of the front tires. If you have say 285's in the rear, then you will get a little bit of tucking of the bead as the tires will be 12" wide at the tread, but the bead will only be 10" wide. So, you will have the rubber coming in an inch on the front side and another inch on the back. So, may look a little goofey when looking at the front and rear tires back to back.

I mentioned the offset. Having that wide of a rim may push the rim more towards the outside edge of the car which may lead to rubbing issues. But, you don't state the offset, so, hard to say what you may run into. ALong those lines, if you get the rim pushed too far towards the outside edge of the car, you are putting a twisting motion on the bearing (ie, top of the tire is trying to go towards the motor as the bottom is trying to slip out from under the car. This can put extra stress on the bearing and lead to earlier bearing failure. Failing in 10K miles (15000KM)? Probably not. IN 50K miles (75,000KM)? Odds go up. It is all based on how much different the factory rim offset is from the current rim offset.

Give me the extra info and we can get a better idea of what you may be in for. Tires are going to mount up, but the consequences? We will see.

Old 07-09-2024, 10:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

hi there and thanks for your response. the offset is 46mm as apposed to 49mm and 8.5j on my current front wheels.