General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

JLR 131 IDS won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 12:40 AM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts
Default JLR 131 IDS won't start

So after the problem with the bad flash of the ECM, I have noticed that IDS reports that communication with the ECM is bad. I was thinking that the laptop I am using is kind of old, and has a Via C-7 processor. Not exactly Intel or AMD. So, I took a new laptop, a Lenovo B570, installed Windows XP, installed all the XP drivers and then installed JLR 131.

Well, when I start up IDS, I get a "Tabman - main frame for ESB has failed" error. When I try to start up tabman.exe on its own, I get the same error. Of course, with the other laptop. I can start tabman.exe fine.

So, does anybody have any experience with troubleshooting why IDS won't start, or why tabman.exe errors out?

Both laptops are running windows XP SP3, with all updates.

If you need any more information from me, please let me know.
Thank you for your assistance.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by heima
So after the problem with the bad flash of the ECM, I have noticed that IDS reports that communication with the ECM is bad. I was thinking that the laptop I am using is kind of old, and has a Via C-7 processor. Not exactly Intel or AMD. So, I took a new laptop, a Lenovo B570, installed Windows XP, installed all the XP drivers and then installed JLR 131.

Well, when I start up IDS, I get a "Tabman - main frame for ESB has failed" error. When I try to start up tabman.exe on its own, I get the same error. Of course, with the other laptop. I can start tabman.exe fine.

So, does anybody have any experience with troubleshooting why IDS won't start, or why tabman.exe errors out?

Both laptops are running windows XP SP3, with all updates.

If you need any more information from me, please let me know.
Thank you for your assistance.
At this point, given what you have already done yourself, I think I'd advise trying to reload the B570 with WinXP SP2 and TURN OFF automatic updates. Then make sure you go no further than IE6, and load up the current Adobe Flash, Adobe Air and Java. Then reinstall DVD131 and try her again. I know SP3 is supposed to be OK with a dual core processor, but I've had to back up from SP3 to SP2 twice before. All the latest Microsoft updates to XP could possibly be an issue, too. You have to remember, when Jaguar writes this software they are certifying it on WinXP as it was months ago, updating it further can only mean trouble. If we have trouble with the software and contact them, the first thing they want to know is how far it's been updated. If it's gone too far, they make us ghost the laptop and start over.

My two cents.....

Last edited by xjrguy; 10-25-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Thank you for your suggestions, xjrguy. I have given up on the B570 and instead, successfully installed the software on to a T4300 based laptop. I think I am good to go.
Thanks again.