General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

JLR SDD - XF reprogramming

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 05:48 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default JLR SDD - XF reprogramming

Goodmorning everyone, this morning I tried a restore with sdd for the keys but at this point I don't know what to do

this is the screen that sdd brings me back, obviously I use a cloned mongoose and cracked sdd, so I can't access the internet.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:50 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I thought you could have a problem trying to do this with SDD v1.38 on a 2013 Jaguar. I had to go to SDD v1.50 with my 2014 XK because earlier versions of the application could not read all the modules. Current (latest) version is SDD 1.60.02

To understand what was happening with your SDD session, I used Google Translator:

Non e possibile lo stato di download complessivo di questo modulo a caus dello stato sconosciuto visualizzato in alto: prima di procedere assicurarsi che sia stata caricata l'ultima versuione dell'applicatzione.
The overall download status of this module is not possible due to the unknown status displayed above: before proceeding make sure that the latest version of the application has been loaded.

E possibile richiedere informatzioni al numero verde dell'assistenza tecnica
Information can be requested from the toll-free technical assistance number

Programming with a clone Mongoose and "cracked" version of SDD is very risky.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
gimag70 (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 12:14 PM

OK thanks, but where can I buy an original mongoose that fits my vehicle.?

Old 02-17-2021, 12:51 PM

Hi,
I have read your simple rules and learned the meaning.
I apologize if I did something wrong since I am new and moreover Italian and therefore I am forced to translate what I write or what I have to read every time.

You could tell me: but why did I join an English forum and not an Italian one? Well! the answer for me is very simple, for you the jlrs are easier to manage and like the fiat with us ..... obviously there is no admissible comparison between the two houses. Jaguar another planet.

The following 2 users liked this post by gimag70:
GGG (02-17-2021), V7Sport (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 01:56 PM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by gimag70
..... I apologize if I did something wrong since I am new and moreover Italian and therefore I am forced to translate what I write or what I have to read every time. .....
Gli italiani sono i benvenuti.

Nothing wrong and no reason to apologise.

To answer your question about original Mongoose. These were manufactured by Drew Technologies in the USA but they have stopped manufacturing for JLR. An available alternative is from Diagnostic Associates.

Graham

gimag70 (02-17-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Hello gimag70 glad to see a fellow Jaguar owner from Italy!!

Just a general comment about SDD?
I see from your picture the battery symbol is yellow. It must be green or your run a risk of screwing things up.

We have had a number of people including me to try using the SDD with normal battery chargers/maintainers. This will not work very well or sometimes at all. The SDD is very picky software and the car absolutely requires a very strong +12VDC ESPECIALLY if programming anything. If you are just reading codes then it's not as important.

I use a Mangoose clone cable and have had zero problems with any and all operations. I still think most horror stories are due to the lack of a proper power supply.
Here is V157 software with a Mangoose for $38. I have no connection with the seller and can't say for sure but I have a similar no name interface.
Mangoose Clone Interface

Do you have a good power supply of at least 30-50A 12VDC?
I use a IOTA DLS-55 Power Supply. $165 but they are used on EBay too. I got mine for around $100
Power Supply

Old 02-23-2021, 04:56 PM

Hi clubairth1, thanks for viewing. In this regard, I just wanted to say that I connected a battery charger to the battery, but this created the problem for me that the machine did not go to (position ll). it seemed as if the battery was no longer connected all dead. I immediately unplugged the charger and the machine gave me an endless series of errors. The battery charger I bought on a Chinese site.

This is the 12v 8A battery charger. but it caused me a lot of problems

Old 02-23-2021, 05:04 PM

Can I ask if it is possible to download the software from the various car control units directly from the car by connecting with the SDD? Copy them to a folder in case you have a problem. If it can't be done there is a method to do a full backup of the car and use it in case of breakdowns?

I thank you all

Old 02-25-2021, 02:25 AM
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Hello gimag70 glad to see a fellow Jaguar owner from Italy!!

Just a general comment about SDD?
I see from your picture the battery symbol is yellow. It must be green or your run a risk of screwing things up.

We have had a number of people including me to try using the SDD with normal battery chargers/maintainers. This will not work very well or sometimes at all. The SDD is very picky software and the car absolutely requires a very strong +12VDC ESPECIALLY if programming anything. If you are just reading codes then it's not as important.

I use a Mangoose clone cable and have had zero problems with any and all operations. I still think most horror stories are due to the lack of a proper power supply.
Here is V157 software with a Mangoose for $38. I have no connection with the seller and can't say for sure but I have a similar no name interface.
Mangoose Clone Interface

Do you have a good power supply of at least 30-50A 12VDC?
I use a IOTA DLS-55 Power Supply. $165 but they are used on EBay too. I got mine for around $100
Power Supply
thanks for the info. I ordered a clone cable. But I’m still a little confused on the power supply. How does it differ from a battery charger? Do you have a picture of how you have it connected?

I currently have this

https://www.harborfreight.com/10250a...art-60581.html

Old 02-26-2021, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

If your interested here is a giant thread on SDD. It's pretty complicated and of course we as owners/DIY's are not really suppose to be using it. So zero help or documentation from Jaguar. I have a training manual but it's pretty old. I have attached it just in case you want to read it.
SDD info

Yes almost every module keeps a copy of the entire car info just for backup purposes. So if something gets corrupted the module can get the info from another hopefully not corrupted module. But this also means the car knows if you have installed a different module! So that's where all this programming comes in. Makes sure the replacement module is aware of the entire cars build info.

The file you are asking about is the CCF (Car Configuration File) or the VID (Vehicle Identification) block depending on the year of the car as it changed. This file is the master list of your car as it was built by Jaguar. Now this is another change Jaguar did as SDD did download ALL the CCF's and store them on the laptop. So when you opened SDD it would update all the models/cars that had changed since you last connected to the internet. Later they stopped that and you had to get them as you needed them from Jaguar. Understand this is NOT necessary for us home users because after your car is a couple of years old Jaguar stops updating anything and the configuration file does not change any more anyway.

Yes you can download them and store them but I am getting into a a level of SDD stuff that I will just have to tell you is somewhat beyond my capabilities! This is what experienced guys like Cambo and Xdave use to add options to a car that did not originally come with them. So look for their threads and posts for sure!

Here is my power supply and what SDD needs (Again I am NOT an electrical Engineer!) is a low ripple stable and STOUT DC power supply. I am not kidding about this last part as I have measured 30+ amp draws many times while using the SDD. It seems to power up all kinds of things whether your programming or not. I use a clamp on ammeter on the battery cable to keep an eye on current draw.

As I said I am a shade tree mechanic and a cheap skate to boot. So I got mine on EBay used with all the plugs cut off for some reason? I used 8ga cable and 50A rated clamps when I fixed it all back up.

I also finally used a dedicated laptop just for SDD. Again it's a very picky program and as you will read many people have had problems getting it to run and stay operational. I still get updates but many have posted to keep the machine off the internet completely for safety reasons. One thing you must do is disable any and all power saving crap on the laptop! Be sure and set the USB ports so they DO NOT power down ever! I must emphasize that you absolutely can NOT have any power glitches with the lap top or the car when using SDD!!

Sorry but for some reason I can only attach one file at a time so will post a few more after this. I have quite a bit of SDD stuff that I can post.

Attached Files
Reaxions (01-17-2023)
Old 02-26-2021, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

More SDD stuff. I have a large SDD manual that will not upload. I can send it to you if you want?
I was doing it wrong and now have attached several files at once!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
VID Block Manager Usage.pdf (337.9 KB, 241 views)
SDD Best Practice.pdf (87.1 KB, 316 views)
---Oipat--- (06-21-2024)
Old 02-26-2021, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

See if this will go?
Sorry again it must be too big??

Attached Files
SDD Power Supply Requirements.pdf (132.2 KB, 186 views)
MongoosePro User Manual.pdf (329.9 KB, 470 views)
Old 02-26-2021, 11:35 PM

That was an excellent read! Thank you! I’m going to read it a couple of times to make sure I didn’t miss anything.

Old 02-27-2021, 02:19 AM

hi clubairth1, thank you for your excellent explanation and advice.
Now we know that sdd is not a game and must be treated with: we in Italy say that when an object is delicate it must be treated with (white gloves).

I ask a question
for my jaguar xf 2.2 diesel car registered in september 2013 which version of sdd is the best to use?
I now use 138 okay or should I use a newer or older version.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Yes that version is fine. I have a 2014 XJR so about the same age car. No changes have been made to the CCF's for a very long time.
I like that Italian saying it's a good way to look at it! Sort of a black box but it's really necessary to keep your Jaguar up and running without being so dependent on the dealer. Which does not have a great deal of interest in our older models anyway. Remember they don't want you fixing old cars. They want you to buy new cars!!

Since you mention versions, lets talk about the software a bit? SDD (Software Driven Diagnosis) has evolved from IDS (Integrated Diagnostic Service) from the even earlier WDS (Worldwide Diagnostic Service) which replaced an even earlier Ford FDS 2000 (Ford Diagnostic System). The whole idea from Ford/Jaguar was to eliminate or cut down all the guessing the mechanics were doing and wasting so much time and replacing parts that were good. It also was/is a way to allow cheaper labor or people with less experience/training to do the work. A more automated "smart" way to fix cars if you will. That hopefully will be quicker and cheaper for the manufacturer. Especially with the massive complexity in our modern cars. The SDD will identity earlier cars to some extent and drop back down to IDS if your car requires it. Again helps to make the software more versatile for a wider range of cars/models. So when I work on my friends 2008 XJ it reads the VIN and then tells me it's opening IDS instead of SDD to work on that older car.

Since Jaguar is a small company compared to the big boys in the car world they need a system that can be used world wide. If you have ever tried to use Jaguar's JTIS (Jaguar Technical Information Service), or what use to be called the shop manual. Most people including me find it's a terrible manual that is extremely confusing and has no helpful descriptions. That's because what good does an English manual do somebody in Italy, India or China? So they mainly use diagrams with arrows pointing to things so they don't have to publish manuals in 30 languages! Luckily Microsoft has many software language packs so SDD can display nearly any language you need. But please do download the JTIS because it's free on this forum and it's all we have.

The thing to remember that really was hard for me to understand is since it's called Software Driven Diagnosis you MUST enter the system with a problem or symptom of a problem. Example - I wanted to read the trouble codes in the car like you would with any code reader. There is no place to just read the codes (Especially the deeper codes that don't set a MIL light). You need to specify a problem like the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) is on (Even if it's not). Then the system guides you to a general area for help. So even if you don't have the MIL light on that is a good starting point if you just want to poke around and check some things in the system. The more detailed symptoms you can give the system the closer and more accurate (Supposedly anyway!) the recommendations will be. But since us home guys aren't running a business and are not on the clock the time element is not the main objective. We want to fix our car and find out exactly whats wrong with it even if it takes a while to do.

Sorry I missed it above but ALWAYS run the laptop plugged in. Not on battery. You will be surprised just how long it takes sometimes and I have left things run over night several times when I was not sure if SDD was done or not!

Last edited by clubairth1; 02-27-2021 at 11:55 AM.
---Oipat--- (06-21-2024)
Old 02-27-2021, 02:51 PM

Yes, I see.
In my specific case, I'll tell you about my problem:
After taking my car to a general mechanic, I had him change the oil and filter on the automatic transmission. The mechanic did not put lifeguard 8 oil which is as you know the original zf but an oil of a different brand (Valvoline ATF DEX / MERC), I was disappointed with the oil change but he told me that the oil is not important that it is the original, the important and that it respects the characteristics ...... I ask you is this true ?.
Ok, after taking the car home I connected sdd and got (gearbox clear adapdations).
the car at first seemed to be fine but then it started to keep the gears too long, and when I stop at the traffic lights and then restart the restart is not gradual, the car reaches 2000rpm and then clicks, sometimes it doesn't know if going up or down sometimes if I don't change with the paddles it even reaches 3000rpm. I currently have no malfunctions on the instrument panel.

In short, it is as if the gearbox was no longer in symbiosis with the engine (it drives me crazy).
I also did the procedure of going to position ll and pressing the accelerator fully for 15 seconds then switching off and waiting for 2 minutes and then restarting but unfortunately the situation does not change.
It seems that the gearbox no longer wants to learn my driving.

First Question: what procedure to use with sdd to restore the correct sequence of changes to my gearbox and at the same time bring the car back to factory conditions?
second is it possible that the oil has made all this difference ?,
Is it possible that there is not enough oil in the gearbox or that there is too much of it?

Thank you in advance for your help
I remind everyone that I write with a translator so I apologize if any concept is not clear.

Old 02-27-2021, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Well we have been told there is NO substituent for Lifeguard8 fluid! I am sure but want to check that your car does have the 8 speed ZF? It came out in 2013 so you should. Yes the proper oil is VERY important! If it was my car I would do whatever is needed to dump the fluid he put in and go back to Lifeguard8.

Now just a comment because I also had the 6 speed ZF and there are several substitutes for Lifeguard6 so maybe he knew about that and just assumed the same for Lifeguard8? One of the 6 speed fluids is Mercon SP which sounds close to what he put in your car? And yes Mercon SP is identical to Lifeguard6. That has been documented several times. Same fluid just different color.

As time goes on we might find a substitute for Lifeguard8 but I have been searching and have found nothing yet.

Yes it is very possible the wrong fluid is causing your problems.
Yes you did it correctly and cleared the adaptations but be aware that it will take the car a while to relearn and adapt to your driving habits so you can expect some roughness and non-typical behavior until it has re-adapted.
Does that make sense?

Again I would change the oil with Lifeguard8 and then clear the adaptations once again and drive it for a while.

Old 02-27-2021, 10:32 PM

Well we have been told there is NO substituent for Lifeguard8 fluid! I am sure but want to check that your car does have the 8 speed ZF? It came out in 2013 so you should. Yes the proper oil is VERY important! If it was my car I would do whatever is needed to dump the fluid he put in and go back to Lifeguard8.

Now just a comment because I also had the 6 speed ZF and there are several substitutes for Lifeguard6 so maybe he knew about that and just assumed the same for Lifeguard8? One of the 6 speed fluids is Mercon SP which sounds close to what he put in your car? And yes Mercon SP is identical to Lifeguard6. That has been documented several times. Same fluid just different color.

As time goes on we might find a substitute for Lifeguard8 but I have been searching and have found nothing yet.

Yes it is very possible the wrong fluid is causing your problems.
Yes you did it correctly and cleared the adaptations but be aware that it will take the car a while to relearn and adapt to your driving habits so you can expect some roughness and non-typical behavior until it has re-adapted.
Does that make sense?

Again I would change the oil with Lifeguard8 and then clear the adaptations once again and drive it for a while.
I am using the Ford fluid with great results. I also didn’t do any adaptations because I don’t have sdd. I just drove the car for a couple of days and it figured out everything by itself.

Old 02-28-2021, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Did you use Mercon SP?

Old 02-28-2021, 05:42 PM

Did you use Mercon SP?
yup. Did a drain and fill with sp. at first I was worried because i still had the weird shifting I did with the original fluid. But I just drove it around town for two days just to give the car two cycles of 50 miles. Third day I drove it all my issues went. Shifting was smooth. I’m going to do two more drain and fills before 100k before doing the full service.

Quick Reply: JLR SDD - XF reprogramming