General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

JTIS problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JTIS problem

Hi all,

I just posted a question about a sunroof for which the use of JTIS would be helpful, but I think I have a problem trying to use JTIS. I first downloaded Christo's files, but it seems to want disk1, part1, which doesn't seem to be on the download list, so I moved onto Jim Lombardi's download. I downloaded the instructions and all 3 files. I have Vista so before installing, I changed the compatability of the setup file to XP compatability as I found in another post when initially searching for the JTIS files. I installed JTIS, seemed to go flawlessly. I select the model and year and then automatically go to the main page, but I couldn't figure out how to open a disassembly/repair file for the sunroof as I needed. I couldn't open the JTIS help file, got a message directing me to microsoft site to intall a file to repair this, which I did. After opening the help file, it seems that after I select the model and year, a JTIS navigator should open, but I do not see this. Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,
EChem

Old 12-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum. You must have vista 32 bit operating system if you are able to make a model and year selection.

It sounds like you were able to view opening screen and actually select the XJ model and 1998 year and then you should have seen this screen:

Name:  JTIS21screenfor1998XJafterModelYearselected.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  37.8 KB

If you are getting this screen, then all you have to do is decide if you want to use the graphic navigator or text navigator. The screen above is the graphical navigator. I personally always use the text navigator.

The top of the screen menu items has a "view" dropdown menu with text navigator & graphical navigator listed at the bottom of the menu list. If you click on text navigator, the next screen will list the group menu items (1. General Information, 2. Chassis, 3. Powertrain, 4. Electrical, 5. Body and Paint).

Click on Body and Paint, then click on item listed as 501.17 Roof Opening Panel, then click on Removal & Installation, then click Roof Opening Panel (76.82.05).

This will give general description, how the panel operates, how to remove & reinstall the glass panel, panel frame and panel module. Also how to align the panel.

Hope this helps

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 12-20-2011 at 04:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimlombardi:
EChem (12-21-2011), JimC64 (12-20-2011)
Old 12-21-2011, 10:48 AM

Dear Jim:

Thanks very much. In the JTIS help, it states after you select model and year, the Navigator should open in the left pane, but it doesn't. Got into the software as per your explanation.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Default Another question on finding a SRO in JTIS

Got into the JTIS. When I go to 501-17, the roof opening panel, removal and installation, roof opening panel (76.82.05), it refers to the removal of the trim panel, to refer to 76.82.19. I did a SRO search for that number and it gives an error message that it is an invalid number. A global search on the number just brings up the documents in which it is referred to. Is this document not in the JTIS or am I doing somethng wrong?

Thanks

Old 12-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
Yes, I also have not been able to find procedure 76.82.19 - removal of the trim panel (and I have tried many times over the last 6 months).

But I did find procedure 76.82.06 - Roof Opening Panel Shield (it has the instruction on removing the trim panel). 501-17 Roof Opening Panel - Removal and Installation - Roof Opening Panel Shield 76.82.06 - Here are the instructions:

Turn ignition switch to position II.
Open sliding roof to fully tilted position.
Turn ignition switch to position O and remove key.

A detent spring is fitted at panel front corner for slider peg engagement.
Pulling trim panel rearwards, release panel front corners from slider mechanism pegs. Ensure central guide lugs are above mechanism tilt levers.

Carefully withdraw trim panel rearwards through roof aperture.

There are 3 illustrations shown along with the above instructions.

Sounds like you use the tilt function, then disconnect the front of the Roof Trim Panel (Sunroof Trim Board per JEPC - Jaguar Electronic Parts Catalog). Then pull it backwards up through the roof opening.

I hope I restated these instructions correctly in my Sounds like paragraph.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 12-21-2011 at 07:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
EChem (12-22-2011)