General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Which model is more dependable "yes I know I might have asked this once before"

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which model is more dependable "yes I know I might have asked this once before"

Ok fellow Jaguar enthusiasts, 2 months ago I was in a terrible car accident in my 05 Corolla XRS 6-Speed "somebody hit me head on and put me in the hospital for a month with a broken femer" I loved that car. The valve lift pulled harder and was louder than in the civic Si. But it was completley destroyed which means i need to replace it and i'd like to go with a Jaguar this time around. I've always loved there sleek lines and racing heritage. I've narrowed my choices down "thanks to help on this site and my own personal research" to 05 and up S-Types and 04 and up XJ8's. I truely love the look of both and want to make the right decision on one that won't be a lemon or a constant repair nightmare. I heard some bad things about the XJ8's from 04 but i don't know why cause its the same engine and trans in the S-Type and I didn't hear bad things about that. So I'd really appreciate some feedback once again on which model to go for based on reliability and less problem prone. Thanks for reading

Old 04-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

We've heard it from the techs on this board and my dealer guys as well, the XJs 04+ have some frequent issues with the throttle body and air suspension system. All other parts being equally reliable on the s-type (and xk for that matter). The 04 XJs have more problems it seems than 05 and up, so pick your favorite and if you choose the XJ, keep a little in reserve, and you'll be just fine.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:41 AM

thank you for that, I will remember to look for either model 2005 and newer so i do not run into that problem

Old 04-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

When you choose your S-type, be ABSOLUTELY sure you test the auto-gearbox extensively. It'll be either a ZF5HP25 or a ZF6HP26, made by the ZF company. One is 5-speed, one 6.
To test, drive the car from COLD around the streets etc. to be sure the gears change smoothly but quickly. You are listening for gears one, two, three here. You'll have to listen carefully, because you won't feel anything. No radio or talkative passengers! Be sure you slow down to traffic lights without any bangs or lurches from the transmission.
Next, go smoothly to the motorway/highway and get up to 80mph. fairly slowly, no harsh acceleration. Listen again carefully in gears four, five. six for any slight growling noises. Keep glancing at the revcounter. If you get a regular 'grunt'-'grunt' noise (which sounds a bit like someone snoring in the next bedroom) and the needle going up and down slightly in sympathy at speeds over abt. 50mph., you have torque converter clutch hunt. Take the car back and walk! If it passes the test, think very seriously about buying the car, because you'll have the most satisfying car you've ever driven.
You will of course already have made the usual checks, (no finance outstanding, that it's not a 'cloned' car, that it's not been crash repaired, or cat. D., that it belongs to the person selling it etc.)
Putting a few gallons of petrol or diesel into the car before your test of the gearbox will assure the seller that you are serious when you do the lengthy gearbox test.
Oh, if you're wondering, a new gearbox costs...a visit to the bank and an extension to your mortgage. That's why I've been banging on about it.
Leedsman.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:46 AM

It seems to me the 05 and up S Types have the 6 speed trans and the 04 and older have the 5 speed trans. I'd prefer the newer model so i'll be looking for the 05 and newer with a 6speed. Engine wise I really want the 4.2 cause I've never owned a V8 before and the 3.0 is supposed to be a ford motor i've heard. I want which ever is more reliable and based on my research they both seem to be fairly decent. I'll remember to do that thorough transmission check when on a test drive too, thanks alot for your help man