General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Module EEPROM modifications and common module questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 01:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Module EEPROM modifications and common module questions

Hi

For starters I have MY 18 XE R-Sport and little background for the issue, I have ICTP, but in our region telematics was not available and therefor Apple Carplay was not available as a direct software upgrade. I only had two USB ports in interface panel. Little bit of digging and few hours with manuals etc I figured out that changing the UIP to one with HDMI and little bit of CCF modifications AC was possible. UIP change was easypeasy, but as you know that MY 18 is pathfinder time and no SDD with download.html. I bought dealer tools (and I did have old laptop) and found a guy who could do the CCF change over teamweaver. It was fun and games and one thing led to another and my retrofit project started:
1)Upgrade meridian to 825W system (including parcel shelf with electric sunscreen)
2)Add 360 parking sensors (sensors, easy, finding the brackets was bit hard, but Polish junk yards did help)
3)Surround cameras (front camera bracket from china and bit of hacking to make it fit, looks factory) (new side mirrors + Jaguar led projectors to mirrors instead of halogen bulp) and camera control module. As I did have rear parking camera and it wired directly to the IMC in MY18 -> models. From this Camera control module fun begins and this thread

I did buy second hand camera control module HY32-14F026-AJ and it HW 04.01.04.02 and SW 20.00.04.25. It works but it has wrong VIN number. All camera functions work but automatic parking does not work. When pushing the button it blinks for a while and stops. Nothing happens. Well I do not need this feature, but when modifying etc I just want everything to be perfect The guy who did all the CCF changes did some debugging and says that as the camera control module IPMB has wrong VIN this feature does not work.

I always could buy new virgin but what is the fun with that? I bought XPROG to modify EEPROM directly. As I do not want to break the working one I bought similar camera control module (IPMB) HK83-14F026-AG. I did successfully read the EEPROM, did change the VIN to EEPROM and verified writings the EEPROM. This HY32-14F026-AJ is HW 04.01.04.02 and SW 19.14.01.05. When installing this test module car/pathfinder does not find this IPMB module.

Finally to the question part. Can some one verify that is it in CCF that correct modules which should be found are written there? I think (I bet I am wrong) that the test module has different partnumber and it is written in somewhere in firmware and when BCM/GWM is waken up and calls IPMB this test module is not responding as it has wrong name(?)? So if I want to have test IPMB I should buy one with HY32-14F026-AJ partnumber and with SW 20+. This software version thought came to me when I did read long thread about chaning 8" screen to 10.2" screen in XJ and there was Dave etc nick in one post explains issues with IPMB and software below 20.

There are pin slots in IPMB board where it could be reprogrammed but I have not found any info about the pins or which kind of chip there is to program with correct firmware. I bet correct firmware BIN file can be copied from pathfinder directory ( I did bit of digging and checking files with hex editor (lot of Volvo files)).

Sorry for long post.

Old 03-24-2022, 04:48 PM
Received 303 Likes on 175 Posts

Hello ejagf,
Very interesting post.
We know that SDD resolves/associates or selects software based on hardware part number.
Very likely the same for Pathfinder.
We also know that the module VIN is a theft protection feature that must be consistent throughout or trouble codes are set.
In the case of XF blind spot monitor retrofit, we know that the software renames one of the modules (both have the same part number) in order that the system can tell right from left. Therefore, we can conclude that the part number/name, as contained in module software is used by CCF to address the modules. (Again, assume Pathfinder similar.)
Once enabled in CCF, the module is usually programmed in the vehicle to update the software and plant the VIN. SDD includes "qualifiers" that allow/disallow hardware part numbers based on other vehicle parameters.
It is reasonable to assume that hardware (therefore software) that is allowed by qualifiers will be compatible with the other vehicle modules and will function properly.

If Pathfinder does not recognize the IPBM, I would assume incompatible software or defective communication hardware. Why not use Xprog to copy the 20 SW and paste it to the test module?

Best regards,
Bill

Last edited by Bill400; 03-24-2022 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-25-2022, 06:15 PM

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I think you are right and as now my test version of the IPBM is from LR and that is the reason why it does not work. The EEPROM is simple and easy to read/write with XPROG, but the actual software in IPBM is in Spansion/Cypress flash GL256S10dhb02. Looking for solution how to read and write it. IPBM board has promising pins where to solder programming wires, but I am not sure as no wiring diagrams and no clear pins are showing where to probe connections. Solving this could help to reprogram modules between Jaguar and LR.

I am waiting for my SOI8 clip to arrive to mess around with my "working" IPBM. I did solder wires to test IPBM and it is a bit pain to solder eight wires and remove them between every test.

Old 03-28-2022, 01:37 PM

Little update. Good and bad. I was able to update VIN number to the IPMB module and Pathfinder did find it ok and all camera functions seems to work. Using Pathfinder I was able to force it to learn VIN. Still cannot update software and cannot run camera calibration and parking assistant is not working. When pushing parking assistant button it blinks few times and stops. No pop-up window for selecting which kind of assistant is required. Well investigation continues.

Still I am not sure does the assistant require cameras at all???

Old 03-28-2022, 04:22 PM
Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Wrong VIN has nothing to do with it. EEP reading/writing also has nothing to do with it. I would advise against continuing down this route as you may end up doing more harm than good.

You can contact me via PM should you require assistance with your issues/retrofits. Please include your VIN.

Old 03-29-2022, 03:16 PM

Gotta try something and learning new stuff. I do suspect some miscommunication between parking assistant module and ICTP. All 12 sensors do work fine.

Old 04-01-2022, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Sorry as a bit off topic but can you explain your Pathfinder setup? I have a working SDD but that limits me to only working on earlier model cars. I thought Pathfinder is subscription based and you must be connected to the internet when using it?

Old 04-02-2022, 01:44 PM

I did use pathfinder with my username and password which I did created when registering TOPIx as a independent garage (etc..). It did allow me to configure and update modules even I did not buy any subscription or programming subscription. Guy who does my CCF changes did add some configs to pathfinder .ini file and now it logs in without password etc and all same functionality is still there. My laptop is connected to Internet and as of now it downloads newest pathfinder version.

Old 04-02-2022, 01:49 PM

For the topic, it looks like that my IPMB module is corrupted. ECU assembly number is only "ýýýýýýýýý"s in pathfinder.

And for correction my previous post about parking module. It even that parking module with 12 sensors work, automatic parking brains are in IPMB module. I do not know how that really works, even 2017 (yes I know earlier year) workshop manual it does not mention IPMB when describing automatic parking. In some other descriptions IPMB partnumbers do have cameras and parking assistant described. But hey, if I am wrong, please correct.

Old 04-03-2022, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 375 Posts

Well maybe not. I see those weird yyyyyyys for some of the modules in my car and I believe the modules work. I think it might just an weird artifact of the software. One ofvthe problems you face is that one of the first steps the software takes is to compare the data written into the various modules and the ccf and when it finds a mismatch it tries to correct it. But sometimes yhat means it wrote the wrong info in other modules and then youre toast.

Old 04-04-2022, 02:02 AM

Thats sound correct. my IPMB module passes selftest and camera functions do work fine. I cannot upgrade software or force camera learning. Pathfinder complains that IPMB has wrong configuration. Even resetting EEPROM to "virgin" and/or writing correct VIN (this allow pathfinder to run VIN relearn to module) same problems persist. Upgrading software or trying to run module replace end with different errors.

I am going to order new IPMB and see how it goes and then I can continue hacking module for fun.

Old 04-20-2022, 02:00 PM

Problem is now fixed. I did ask help from LR Retrofits and quick remote connection and problem was fixed.