General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Are Mongoose Cables unavailable now?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2024, 11:45 PM
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Are Mongoose Cables unavailable now?

Perhaps they are obsolete now or something, IDK, but I have been searching for a Mongoose pro cable and they are seemingly nowhere to be found. Drew tech seems to have been bought by another company so I may be late to the game here, but I'm not sure what the current status is in order to use STD, which I have a pretty good idea about, but I'm still learning about. Are my only options going to be clones?

The following users liked this post:
gpstrackershop (Today)
Old 08-26-2024, 11:30 PM
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

They seem to be pretty hard to find (the actual "official" cable); however, I was able to find one that seems as though it may do very well. Waiting on it's arrival now.

Old Today, 05:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like you’re right about the Mongoose Pro cables being hard to find these days. Drew Technologies, the company that made them, did get acquired, which might explain why they’re no longer widely available. You’re definitely not the only one noticing this.

When it comes to using Jaguar SDD (Symptom Driven Diagnostics) or any other factory-level diagnostics, the genuine Mongoose Pro cable used to be a popular choice for its reliability and compatibility. Now, with the scarcity of genuine units, the market seems to be flooded with clones.

While the clones might be tempting, they can be hit or miss. Some work fine for basic diagnostics, but they often lack the full functionality and reliability of the original. They could also have issues with firmware updates or compatibility with newer versions of SDD. Plus, there’s always a risk of them causing more harm than good.

If you're looking for a reliable alternative, you might want to consider the JLR DOIP VCI. It's the newer, official interface for Jaguar/Land Rover vehicles and supports the SDD software as well as the newer Pathfinder software for post-2017 vehicles. While it’s more expensive, it’s a safer bet if you're serious about diagnostics and want to avoid potential issues with clones.

You could also keep an eye on the used market for a genuine Mongoose Pro cable, but they are becoming rare

Ryan