General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My cat died, just for a second

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My cat died, just for a second

ya its me again, Today after useing the jag all morning in stop and go and on and off situation and head home for lunch and after an hour of sitting I got back in to go back to work and about two miles down the road it just dies, no spittering no puttering just dead and all the warning lights and beepers went off. I slipped it into N and tried to fire it back up while I was still going about 30 mph and nothing so I coasted into a parking lot, stopped, put it in Park and the damn thing fired right up and hasnt so much as stumbled the rest of the day. I thought I smelled a hot battery smell at one ppoint after this happened but it could have been a coincedence.
Any takers on why this happened, Im gettin ready to sell this car because as good as I treat it I feel it just does not like me.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well it's definitely electrical. Have you checked all your battery connections? The one in front by the firewall on the passenger's in especially prone to loosen over time.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:05 PM

not yet but I will be. Thanks, I looked under the hood and removed the trim piece by the firewall and didnt see any battery wire(of any standard size anyway), are you talking under the car or just under the hood. I removed the positive battery cable with it running and it didnt die so I dont see how a connection up front could kill it. I'll check it if ou let me know which one and where. Thanks
I did change the fuel filter the night before, could it have been the air bubble in the lines. How long would it take to reach the motor and wouldnt it just sputter for a second and then stay running?

Last edited by XJ ate; 05-28-2009 at 01:06 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 05-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

No it's under the hood right in front of where the optional tool kit is and behind the passenger side shock tower. There is a large gauge cable with a rubber boot covering the the bolt that loosens periodically.

Any air in the fuel lline would be purged immediately upon start up.

Not a good idea to disconnect any cables while the motor running. It can cause havoc with your charging system.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Thumbs up

I saw the cable you mentioned but didnt bother pulling back the bbot, I figured it was some kind of fluid line. Ill check it, thanks for the tips.