General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Nav, audio functions disappeared - IAM2.1 Level 3 failure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 01:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav, audio functions disappeared - IAM2.1 Level 3 failure?

I have the almost exact same audio issue as described in another Jaguar Forums post, but the fix there isn't applicable.

The vehicle is a 2014 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE with the mid-line or high-line audio. It is currently in New Zealand but was imported from Singapore. I'm posting here on Jaguar Forums in the hope that @Cambo can shed some light on this issue like in the above-linked post!

A couple of weeks ago nav, audio, bluetooth all suddenly disappeared. The touchscreen display layout changed too. Nav is there as an option, but pressing it says "Initialising navigation" forever. CD/DVDs can't be inserted, and there are no bluetooth options to speak of and the home screen bluetooth section simply says to pair a phone. However, reversing camera does work fine, unlike in the above thread, and the touch screen button press sound is coming out of the speakers.

The problem sounds like the above-linked post except that the camera goes and we get button press tones. However, the fix in that post won't work because in this problem the amp wake up line goes correctly to 12V and the amp is going fine (button press sounds come out the speakers, the MOST light is emitted, and I can hear it making a very high pitch whine). Also a MOST bypass of the amp doesn't change anything.

Have tried a hard reset by disconnecting battery and connecting terminals. Tried a new battery. Local Land Rover dealer downloaded all new software versions and nothing changed. They were stumped. DTCs don't reveal anything, except we did find that pressing the Eject button doesn't seem to show up on the scan tool, whereas all the other audio interface panel buttons get reported correctly when they're pressed. I suspect that's a read herring though.

We actually opened up the IAM2.1 Level 3 unit. Various points inside it seem to have voltage on them, so at least parts of it are getting power. The hard drive doesn't seem to make a sound/be spinning, and the DVD drive just pushes disks back out (springs, doesn't seem to be electrically active). The MOST connector actually seems to be the only thing in the IAM that's working - it's glowing, and the scan tool and in-built diagnostic screen says the MOST ring is running perfectly.

Speaking of diagnostic screens, the defunct modules show as Shutdown and Unavailable in the touch screen's diagnostic screen.

Any thoughts? Our hypothesis is the IAM is dead, but perhaps it's the wiring to it? Is there a way to test whether it's the unit or the wiring, e.g. could it be the CAN isn't getting through? (It would be great to have a wiring diagram for the car, I've tried downloading some but they don't seem quite to match.) Is it something else completely?

Thank you in advance.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Completely the wrong forum - S-Types do not even use MOST.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Completely the wrong forum - S-Types do not even use MOST.
It's a good thing I didn't post it in the S-Type forum then! #confused

@Cambo you seem to know a lot about these IAM units, do you have any thoughts, please?

Old 09-30-2019, 03:21 AM
Veteran Member

It was in the S-Type forum when I posted...

Old 09-30-2019, 03:59 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

The Infinite Scroll strikes again... go into your User CP and turn it off, under Settings & Options, Edit Options, Infinite Scroll.

@Michael Fielding welcome to the forum.

I would say that the IAM is stuffed, more than just a crashed hard drive (which it also seems to have).

I'd be looking for a replacement, a 2nd hand one will work, but if you get one from a UK or EU car, you will need to re-load the AUS/NZ maps, the same way it would have been done when the car was brought in to NZ from Singapore.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
The Infinite Scroll strikes again... go into your User CP and turn it off, under Settings & Options, Edit Options, Infinite Scroll.
A post can appear in a DIFFERENT forum?

Or did someone MOVE the post???

Old 10-04-2019, 12:36 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
a post can appear in a different forum?
yes

Originally Posted by jagv8
or did someone move the post???
no

Old 10-04-2019, 02:16 AM
Veteran Member

A post can appear in a DIFFERENT forum?
Originally Posted by Cambo
yes
Needs fixing.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:38 PM
Default Replaced IAM - resolved

Yes, replacing the IAM with one from a Range Rover being wrecked resolved the problem. Thank you for the advice.