General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need help choosing a 6 cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help choosing a 6 cylinder

I'm currently designing a car based on 1930's Grand Prix cars that will require an inline 6 cylinder engine, I'm planning to use a Jaguar. Over the past 20 years I've built several 1930's old school hot rods but now I'm looking for something different.

In the past few years I've added custom body panel fabrication to my list of skills, I still have a lot to learn so my design will be limited to my skill level.

The grille shell, hood and cowl will be aluminum, from the cowl back will be mahogany. The rear half of the body will utilize booth wood and steel to support the wooden body. I'll be using the same basic construction as a Cris Craft style boat from the same time period.

I know very little about Jaguar drivetrains but see lots of 70's-80's inline 6 cylinders available and I have several questions about these years. I really want to use a carburated engine, of course cost is also important. A standard transmission is mandatory.
  1. What would be a good choice for an engine
  2. Can any late model fuel injected engines be converted to carburetors?
  3. Is it difficult to find engines with a standard transmission?
Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

The Jaguar XK engine will certainly look the part, having been designed in wartime, and in production from 1948. So it would suite the kind of car you are looking at building by looking the part and also giving good performance. All these engines were on carburettors until 1979, (although I think the 1950s D-type racers may have had fuel injection).

The later fuel injected engines can be converted to carbs, but you'll have to find an inlet manifold as well as the carbs, as the FI one is no good for carbs.

You may find it difficult to get a normal 4-speed gearbox as most cars sold in the US had auto transmission. Manual boxes normally also had an overdrive unit too. Of course there are plenty of modern boxes that can be made to fit, but the flywheel will need changing if the engine had an autotransmission.