General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need insight on a 2009 Jaguar XF

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 07:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need insight on a 2009 Jaguar XF

My Jaguar has an unrolled issue that I need direction on. If you will, the vehicle suddenly started giving me a message stating that the key fob was not found in slot. Then it started running a little sluggish at a light one day. I put the car in park and back in drive and it was good. The alternator was replaced one year ago with the factory Bosch battery ($350). I drove the car one day and when I got out of it and went to lock the doors and there was no power. I gave power to the vehicle and ran a quick scan and it only gave a Battery and Steering Sensor error code. Nothing about the Body Control Modul or the Central Junction Box. Any idea what the issue could be and what’s the DIY resolution that actually works?

Old 05-29-2023, 04:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

Beezalino, from the sounds of things, you have a cable that is either loose and not making good connection or you have a wire with an internal fault that when you put a lot of power through it, it will drive the voltage down (creates havoc with the computers), but when it cools, it will restore itself. I would say to start with checking power at various points. Across the battery, between the jump point under the hood and ground. At the various junction box inputs. In short, with a multimeter, all these points should be within 0.01 VDC of each other. If you start finding one with a 0.2 VDC difference, then you have a cable or connection that is going bad between that point and the battery. Lets see what you have at this point as there are too many possibilities to start getting much more specific. In the X-Types, it is common to have something like this and the check is to get the car started and then put a heavy load on the electrical system (say rear defroster, front defroster, both seat heaters, and high beams). Let hte car idle like that for say 5 minutes. You then turn off the car and cup your hands OVER!!!! the battery terminals. If you can sense one being hotter than the other, you have a bad battery connection. Could be a bad wire, could be a connection that needs cleaned.

The following users liked this post:
Beezalino (05-29-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Beezalino, from the sounds of things, you have a cable that is either loose and not making good connection or you have a wire with an internal fault that when you put a lot of power through it, it will drive the voltage down (creates havoc with the computers), but when it cools, it will restore itself. I would say to start with checking power at various points. Across the battery, between the jump point under the hood and ground. At the various junction box inputs. In short, with a multimeter, all these points should be within 0.01 VDC of each other. If you start finding one with a 0.2 VDC difference, then you have a cable or connection that is going bad between that point and the battery. Lets see what you have at this point as there are too many possibilities to start getting much more specific. In the X-Types, it is common to have something like this and the check is to get the car started and then put a heavy load on the electrical system (say rear defroster, front defroster, both seat heaters, and high beams). Let hte car idle like that for say 5 minutes. You then turn off the car and cup your hands OVER!!!! the battery terminals. If you can sense one being hotter than the other, you have a bad battery connection. Could be a bad wire, could be a connection that needs cleaned.
Thsnks for the input. Will check into these directions and follow through as suggested.