General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 04:00 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can we please add the D900 (unsure of the actual make apologies) scanner to the black list? Doesn't work on a 2002 XJR-100 or a 2005 S-Type.

Appears to find a link, but crashes upon selecting 'Read New DTCs'. The nut also fails if you wish to read live data.

Does anyone have experience with the Kiwi WiFi units for iPad on an X308?

Cheers,
- Richard

Old 07-24-2013, 03:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dc4prez
Here comes another sucker
I purchased a scantool red lead and the OBDWIZ to chase faults on my 1998 XJR
I also have the correct drivers for said lead.
Can anyone help and explain why as soon as I plug my laptop in, the laptop shuts down.
Can someone also recommend a comprehensive tool that will work on a 1999 XJR
I don't think you are a sucker. These interface connectors are not so complicated but the settings are and it is best to have the correct protocol. First I tried to ensure that the scantool communicates with the laptop away from the car. Second stage is to try to connect with the car. Some software has autodetect on the protocol and you need the ignition on, but without the engine running.
If you have the correct com port and the correct protocol in the software it should work.
To be honest, I tried about 5 different pieces of software and once they are set up they are good. OBDWIZ I thought was OK.

The following users liked this post:
dc4prez (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 09:35 AM
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

The $150.00 Actron CP9575 that I purchased works well with my 1999 XJR. It is PC upgradeable, gives code descriptions on screen, has vehicle information, and shows live data.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by Dickie_L_J_O
Can we please add the D900 (unsure of the actual make apologies) scanner to the black list? Doesn't work on a 2002 XJR-100 or a 2005 S-Type.
Thanks for sharing your unfortunately negative experience with that particular model Richard. I've placed it on the 'not recommended list'.

Main thread updated and up to date.

Last edited by H20boy; 07-25-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:59 AM
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks ASW48 - I read the help files and set up info, (windows 8) OBDWIZ with OBD link worked like a charm, clears old crap and identifies current probs
12/98 XJR with twinscrew blower

Old 07-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Scan Tool Recommdation

All:

FYI, I use scan tools regularly in my work as an automotive electronics consultant and forensic investigator. I recently had an opportunity to use and compare a new scan tool against the factory IDS system. The tool is from Auto Enginuity (autoenginuity.com) and they offer their ProLine scan tool available with software packages that access the enhanced diagnostic capabilities of most auto manufacturers. The tool compared very favorably to the OEM tool in all aspects, including speed (faster), ability to manipulate systems from the computer, and returned all the same DTCs as the factory tool. If you only purchase the Jaguar package, it can be a very inexpensive and attractive alternative to a full factory tool. Buying coverage of additional manufacturers makes it even more compelling. It offers many options for display, including digital meters, bar graphs, line graphs, and more.

I don't believe it will do ECM reflashing directly. For that, you will require a SAE J2534 interface, which is sold and licensed separately. I've used the tool on an 07 XKR, and an 11 XJL with excellent results.

Visit their website for pricing on the configuration you wish, but you will definitely find that it provides far more coverage than most aftermarket tools at a fraction of the price of a factory tool. FYI, I have no financial interest in this company, nor any formal relationship with them. I'm speaking strictly as a customer who purchased and is using their product.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:11 PM

Recently used both a Jaguar IDS and an Auto Enginuity (with enhanced software option) side by side on a 2011 XJL. Both identified the same DTCs. Also used the Auto Enginuity on an 07 XKR with good results. Recommended.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suspension too?
Thanks,
rcode

Old 08-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Actron 9575 OBD readings for 2001 XK8

This OBD tool was tested in "live" mode and worked well while my 01 XK8 was warmed up and idling. Thought I would share some readings for all to see what it looks like and also maybe to help someone compare "good" readings against future problems. I have no issues or codes right now but in scan mode (with the ignition switched on but not running) it did show the P1111 so I believe it works fine as a reader and in this live capacity.

Some on Amazon warned against trying to download the latest software from their site but those comments seemed to be a year or more old. Nonetheless I used it right out of the package this week (8/13) and all was well. Jac

Attached Thumbnails OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **-jag-xk8-actron-1.jpg   OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **-jag-xk8-actron-3.jpg   OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **-jag-xk8-actron-2.jpg  
Old 08-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

The latest deal at scantool.net is the Elmscan5 at $24.95 with the ODBWIZ software.

At that price you are really hard pressed to consider anything that does not come with working software.

ScanTool.net LLC - ElmScan 5 Compact -- ELM327 based scan tool - ScanTool.net

The software installs quite easily.

Make sure you check the support link for software updates as the author behind ODBWIZ/TOUCHSCAN releases new versions a few times a year.

There is also an active support forum under the support tab. It is worth checking for any problems or if you are developing custom software.

Last edited by plums; 08-01-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:19 AM
Received 191 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Software

Originally Posted by plums
.. really hard pressed to consider anything that does not come with working software.
. .for those of us in a non-Windows environment, just having access to the on-CD manual may do.

Apple's OS X may automount the CD.

On *N*X'en not so configured, an example of getting at the manual for an Equus Innova 3030/3100, which share the same OEM CD:

insert CD, then:

mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0a /cdrom

Working directly off a CD is too painfuil, so:

cp -R /cdrom/* [to a pre-existing dirtree of your choice], else just "." to the PWD.

Shed the media:

umount /cdrom

eject /dev/cd0a

Open the new 'folder' with your file-manager of choice.

The manuals for this particular device are found as vanilla .pdfs, under:

.../AutoPlay/Docs/

in any of ./En-us, ./Es-es, or ./Fr-fr

As .../'3030 Manual.pdf' | .../'3100 Manual.pdf'

As with Shop manuals on CD, other manufacturers OBDC-2 gear is 'probably' amenable to a similar dig to get at the basic information needed to utilize the device.

Aside from access to the larger sized screen of USB-attached laptop or the like, one would expect enhanced navigation, ease of archiving fault history, yadda yadda...

I'll leave it to those who DO have Windows to list the sort of benefits the full-house software provides over and above the basic manual..

Meanwhile, as with shop-manuals, not having Windows is NOT a show-stopper to basic BFBI diagnostics.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:28 PM

Will recheck that on my 07XKR and get back to you, but recall that it was reading it.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thermite
. .for those of us in a non-Windows environment, just having access to the on-CD manual may do.

True. However, without going back to the referenced post, I was probably making the distinction between a bare device and a device with software when the pricing is at least close. In the case of the ELMSCAN5, it is almost a no brainer because the software included lists for the same price at the developer's web site.

For a *nix environment there are always virtual machines such as virtualbox, and the wine project might be useful.

There are a small number of open source obd-ii projects that are applicable to the *nix environment.

The scantool.net forum is also a good starting point for custom development because a there are a number of people who have gone down that route. The mp3car.com site is another good place to look around.

The following users liked this post:
Thermite (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 11:17 PM

There are a small number of open source obd-ii projects that are applicable to the *nix environment.

The scantool.net forum is also a good starting point for custom development because a there are a number of people who have gone down that route. The mp3car.com site is another good place to look around.
Thanks for that... far too old to go back to machine code in Octal - or forth - if the work already done is at all usable. I HAD taken a quick recce earlier, but found mostly if-comes that hadn't reached alpha (or even first-compile!) ELSE abandonware... Will look again.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for that... far too old to go back to machine code in Octal - or forth - if the work already done is at all usable. I HAD taken a quick recce earlier, but found mostly if-comes that hadn't reached alpha (or even first-compile!) ELSE abandonware... Will look again.
The best of the lot for general purposes would be the original "abandonware" written by/for scantool.net themselves. The gui, should you choose to use it, is really text based boxes and such. The underlying data and hardware manipulation is of course useful since it is known to work. The code was the shipping software until they licensed the Odbwiz software. The license is GPL (yech!, BSD licenses are far better).

The guy working on the fuel economy data logging found there and at priuschat has released his code. He did a lot of work in the area of fast data acquisition.

There is also something out there in perl of all things. Probably sourceforge, which has several projects in the obd2 category.

You may prefer to follow the example of Odbwiz/Touchscan and talk directly to the fddi drivers as it avoids the problem of detecting the correct comm port when the OS decides to rearrange things unexpectedly.

Noticing that you have a J2534 compatible vehicle, Drew Technology posts *basic* sample code on their site.

edit: odbc != obdc

Last edited by plums; 08-03-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:34 AM

The best of the lot for general purposes would be the original "abandonware" written by/for scantool.net themselves. The gui, should you choose to use it, is really text based boxes and such. The underlying data and hardware manipulation is of course useful since it is known to work. The code was the shipping software until they licensed the Odbwiz software. The license is GPL (yech!, BSD licenses are far better).

The guy working on the fuel economy data logging found there and at priuschat has released his code. He did a lot of work in the area of fast data acquisition.

There is also something out there in perl of all things. Probably sourceforge, which has several projects in the obd2 category.

You may prefer to follow the example of Odbwiz/Touchscan and talk directly to the fddi drivers as it avoids the problem of detecting the correct comm port when the OS decides to rearrange things unexpectedly.
.. perl, eh. And why should OBDC be left unscathed? Suspect there is perl module out there somewhere to knit broken hearts and CNC weld the crack of dawn...

OpenBSD USB attaches one learns to track with a 'tail -f' anyway, so that is no big deal.

As to the rest, forth actually is about as good as it gets for fast devel of useful ways to communicate with such hardware goods. Second choice nasm.
For a simple I/O task, anything heavier just gets in the way and adds bugs.

Text-mode display is fine, BTW. All I ask of Xfce4's terminal emulators is the very long-CLI buffers with easy scrollback and handy cut 'n paste.

Noticing that you have a J2534 compatible vehicle, Drew Technology posts *basic* sample code on their site.
Probably all I need. If I ever see a need go there atall.

Handheld and a good pair of eyeglasses to view its tiny screen may be quite enough.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member

As to the rest, forth actually is about as good as it gets for fast devel of useful ways to communicate with such hardware goods. Second choice nasm.
For a simple I/O task, anything heavier just gets in the way and adds bugs.
Ah, but the I/O task is usually the least of it.

In any case, short of latent bugs in the tool of choice, bugs are the sole responsibility of the coder. That is, aside from using anything that does GC, which automatically implies mysterious bugs and it is again the coder's fault for choosing the tool chain in the first place.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:43 PM

Rcode - Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Ran a DTC scan on the 07XKR and confirming I do see the Adaptive Damping Control Module reported.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Just purchased the Elmscan5 and it reads my 1999 model year XK8 codes, but does not bring up the Vin, but more than happy with it so far. Keith

Old 09-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default new scan tool

Autel Maxidas ds708 used on 2001-2005 x tpe 2.5 and 3.0 platforms
also 2001 -2008 xjr 4.2 and 4.0 V-8
also 2000-2008 xk and xkr
and also used on 2004 s type 3.0
has bluetooth,live data,reads all factory specific codes
abs,srs,ecu,tcm,door modules, headlight ballast, and much more. As I continue to explore the scanner I will continue to update the forum.Until next time happy wrenching!
update : it will read suspension codes, and instrument cluster malfunctions....Another very useful handheld platform for about 300.00 is the new Launch creader 8.This does very well...and also internet updatable.I use a elm327 as a generic backup..It isnt manufacturer specific,just a generic code reader,and I have the professional updraded version but it doesn't compare to the others I mentioned.It all depends on how informative you wish for your scanner to be,and how much your willing to spend...

Last edited by 912guy; 09-27-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Quick Reply: OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **