General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 04:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Originally Posted by Atlastajag1
After all the effort put in by governments and manufacturers to achieve a standard, I find it frustrating in the extreme to think that the model will read car X but not all of manufacturer Y's, Ah, but our model n will read those (invariably at a higher price)!
But governments put in very little effort - ONLY did it for emissions-related in the PCM. All other issues and modules left to the car makers to do as they please. Which they have. Utter chaos, to their delight.

A device like the elm327 can read most modules on most cars but you need software to cope with the chaos and who's going to write it? Who's going to pay for it?

Governments have not even mandated that car makers freely hand over the tech info that would allow the software to be written.

Last edited by JagV8; 12-09-2016 at 04:29 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody tried the TOAD software from Australia?

Old 12-11-2016, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

It makes a lot of BS claims and is remarkably expensive.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts
Default The TOAD?

Also . . . the now rampant cane TOAD is wreaking havoc as it proliferates from the Oz tropics into areas of formerly pristine bush. With toxic venom sacs and no known predators, why let such a horrid beastie (and Orstraylyan to boot!) anywhere near your beautiful Jaguar?

And apologies for my dyslexic IDS/SDS . . . SDD it is!
Cheers,

Ken

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (12-14-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 09:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2002 xk8

hello all - looking for a decent code reader compatible with a 2002 jaguar xk8. i think handheld sounds better to me, and somethign that can clear codes.

at the moment i have an engine light on and a jaguar indie read the code on on an autel (but around around £500 new). the code that came up was p1646 - oxygen sensor. i also had an ABS light on, ,and he said most readers wont find the specific ABS fault.

i've read through this forum and seem some suggestions, and heard through another forum about icarsoft.

anyways - so just hoping for a suggestion for my car - a reader that allows me to read codes (handheld if possible so i dont have to mess aroudn with a laptop) and clear codes, and one that reads a lot of codes (realise no reader is perfect)

thank you

Old 12-18-2016, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Hi [londonxk8]. Yours is post #489 on the very subject of which you ask. The only thing unique to your model and variant of Jaguar is that it uses Jaguar's implementation of OBDII - thus, identical to probably all others represented in the previous 488 posts on this subject here.

Why not start by reading through these previous posts. The recommendations here are based on proven experience; they are self evident; and they leave you with choices that all fall well short of rocket science.

Just my 2cents, and my comments are not intended to offend or discourage you . . . it's just that it is becoming very difficult to continue saying the same things in 500 different ways!

1) ELM327 & Smartphone app like Torque etc ($10-$20);
2) Mongoose clone cable & V130 software ($50-$100);
3) Genuine IDS/SDD interface on laptop (maybe $750).

Read. Choose & Buy. Use & Learn.
Cheers,

Ken

Orthodixie (02-23-2018)
Old 12-18-2016, 08:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PFM Scanner!

My 2001 XKR had a relentless ABS fault code that was both annoying and dangerous.
I did my due diligence on this forum and found that the Autel 619 would do both engine codes and ABS codes. I ventured forth and spent about $125 on line and within a week the device arrived at my doorstep.
It was necessary to download the software updates, a very easy task. It has Jaguar specific software.
The first time I connected it to the OBD II port on the car I was able to identify that the left front sensor was the fault. I made a shim to set the air gap for the sensor and to my delight, I have not seen that dreaded "Trac Not Available, ABS Not Available, ASC Not Available" for several months now.
What a relief!
Fixed the damned thing in a couple of hours in my own garage. Magic!
The Autel 619 is a handheld, which you say you want, and provided a path to great success for me.
Charlie

Old 12-18-2016, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
Hi [londonxk8]. Yours is post #489 on the very subject of which you ask. The only thing unique to your model and variant of Jaguar is that it uses Jaguar's implementation of OBDII - thus, identical to probably all others represented in the previous 488 posts on this subject here.

Why not start by reading through these previous posts. The recommendations here are based on proven experience; they are self evident; and they leave you with choices that all fall well short of rocket science.

Just my 2cents, and my comments are not intended to offend or discourage you . . . it's just that it is becoming very difficult to continue saying the same things in 500 different ways!

1) ELM327 & Smartphone app like Torque etc ($10-$20);
2) Mongoose clone cable & V130 software ($50-$100);
3) Genuine IDS/SDD interface on laptop (maybe $750).

Read. Choose & Buy. Use & Learn.
Cheers,

Ken
Hi Ken,

I was'nt offended in the least, and I certainly do not want to offend or abuse this forum. Seems like a great resource.

Perhaps I have misunderstood how to use this forum - as Iunderstand your point, and realise my question has been answered many times. In fact - my car is coming up on being 15 years old, so one could argue most of the solutions to issues with my car have already been solved - most likely a decade ago.

So begs the question, why should any of us with a motor be allowed to post at all? I doubt there are many unique questions for cars 10+ years old left to ask. Or do you feel differently?

Also - it seems the original post was being updated/edited, but is no longer. so i asked to question to see if anyone had a quick answer for me. frankly - i was trying to save myself from having to read 500 posts, find it overwhelming and also time consuming.

Anyways, will try to get through some more pages of this thread and perhaps i will find the answer i am looking for.

jason

Old 12-18-2016, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by CharliePar
My 2001 XKR had a relentless ABS fault code that was both annoying and dangerous.
I did my due diligence on this forum and found that the Autel 619 would do both engine codes and ABS codes. I ventured forth and spent about $125 on line and within a week the device arrived at my doorstep.
It was necessary to download the software updates, a very easy task. It has Jaguar specific software.
The first time I connected it to the OBD II port on the car I was able to identify that the left front sensor was the fault. I made a shim to set the air gap for the sensor and to my delight, I have not seen that dreaded "Trac Not Available, ABS Not Available, ASC Not Available" for several months now.
What a relief!
The Autel 619 is a handheld, which you say you want, and provided a path to great success for me.
Charlie
hi Charlie - given I currently have an engine light on and an ABS light - this reader seems ideal. Thank you for the info - I may give the Autel a shot!
Jason

Old 12-18-2016, 01:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by londonxk8
Hi Ken,

I was'nt offended in the least, and I certainly do not want to offend or abuse this forum. Seems like a great resource.

Perhaps I have misunderstood how to use this forum - as Iunderstand your point, and realise my question has been answered many times. In fact - my car is coming up on being 15 years old, so one could argue most of the solutions to issues with my car have already been solved - most likely a decade ago.

So begs the question, why should any of us with a motor be allowed to post at all? I doubt there are many unique questions for cars 10+ years old left to ask. Or do you feel differently?

Also - it seems the original post was being updated/edited, but is no longer. so i asked to question to see if anyone had a quick answer for me. frankly - i was trying to save myself from having to read 500 posts, find it overwhelming and also time consuming.

Anyways, will try to get through some more pages of this thread and perhaps i will find the answer i am looking for.

jason
Well, guys, I hope nobody minds me 'jumping in' here with my own thoughts on the matter - and I really have no intention to offend anyone.

Anyhow, my feeling on posting questions on topics already covered are that I can see a few reasons to do so:
- until a problem is fully fixed, there is no knowing that the symptoms seen had the same cause as a previous occurence of similar symptoms. Thus further discussion might reveal trains of thought not previously explored.
- test equipment (like OBDII readers), tools and parts change over time so newer information might be more relevant than older information.
- repeatedly sharing what we know, and exploring newer ideas, helps us all learn to look after our Jaguars better. Surely, isn't that a point of this forum ?

As I said, guys, not trying to be contentious here - just trying to show that there can be three sides to every coin.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by CharliePar
What a relief!
Charlie
hi Charlie, I just purchased an Autel AL619 EU from ebay, and will arrive this week. Excited to diagnose my own issues - can''t wait to hook it up! thank you for the advice, I too have an intermittent ABS issues (although for the last month the issue seems to have disappeared!)

CharliePar (01-18-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 10:15 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Vpecker WiFi soon to be called XTUNER E3

Thought I would try this unit our seeing that not only is it suppose to be fully compatible with the Jaguar XF but allows key programming as well.

Tested on 2010 Jaguar XF X250 5.0 Naturally Aspirated Engine

System can barely pull up basic information and I could not access the Add-A-Key feature. Contacted TDINTEL who manufactures the unit and I was told the 5.0 is not supported but try fooling it into thinking it is a 2013 2.0L. This to me is an instant red flag so I can not trust this Diagnostic/Programmer.

You can seek the TDINTEL website or Vpecker site and can see that it clearly states support for 2010 XF all.

Kevin

Old 01-22-2017, 06:18 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Veepeak Diagnostic Scanner

Hi all.

Just purchased a Veepeak Mini OBD II Diagnostic Scanner. I was able to successfully scan my 2013 XK without issues using the Torque Pro App on Android. I decided to take the plunge and spend $20.99 CAD on this unit as it has 899 reviews and is rated 4.5 stars overall. While it doesnt state ELM327 in the description, it is and it is version 1.5 which from what i have read makes it compatible with more cars. I havent had time to set up Torque Pro fully yet but I have attached the items/sensors Torque Pro was able to read. I have also provided the link in case anyone is interested. If possible, please update the list in post #1 with this information, i.e. car, MY etc... Thanks!

Amazon.ca Link-> https://www.amazon.ca/Veepeak-Blueto...ywords=veepeak

Attached Thumbnails OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **-obd-2013-xk1.jpg   OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **-obd-2013-xk2.jpg  
Old 02-07-2017, 12:04 PM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts

Ugh!

Feels like I am reading through a "best oil" thread........lol.

Unless someone has a much better suggestion, I am leaning towards the OBDCOM software and cable. OBDCOM Diagnostic Systems for ALL vehicles

I would love to have a iphone app with a bluetooth device but there are so many of them out there and they wildly vary in reports good and bad. These guys seem to have to together and even though it requires a PC, I think I can find one since this family has about a dozen of them floating around.

So talk me out of this based on price and performance.......lol

Old 02-08-2017, 02:09 AM
Veteran Member

A cheap non-Apple phone / tablet + elm327 may work. If you own the phone/tablet then try $5-10 on ebay and see.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Security module , radio asking for code, new rotors, lights on after changed pump fu

Need all this to keep my Vdp 2002 flying like king...can someone help me pls ?

Old 02-15-2017, 03:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Security module , radio asking for code, new rotors, lights on after changed pump fu

Need all this to keep my Vdp 2002 flying like king...can someone help me pls ?

sov211 (07-16-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 08:08 PM
Default Innova 3160e Code Reader

Does anyone have experience with the Innova 3160e Code Reader / Scan Tool with ABS, SRS, and Live Data for OBD2 Vehicles? I like to "Live Data" aspect and the 3100 series seems to be popular. I just purchased a 2004 XJ8...with a number of codes.

Nina Jo Clark (09-23-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 10:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lanrceds
Why does not anyone recommend this site Search Result: Jaguar
OBDexpress is a good site ,and have many kinds of Jaguar obdii diag tools,They are always patient to help you answer the question,Even the product is not theirs,i like it
Thanks for that lanrceds, their stuff looks pretty good. I'm now thinking of buying myself a better OBDII scanner tool !

Old 06-22-2017, 01:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lanrceds
Why does not anyone recommend this site Search Result: Jaguar
OBDexpress is a good site ,and have many kinds of Jaguar obdii diag tools,They are always patient to help you answer the question,Even the product is not theirs,i like it
Maybe because they're Chinese / new / no-one stumbled on their pretend-to-be-UK site?

Quick Reply: OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **