General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020 | 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jakob morgan
Can any of these scanners clear the TCM adaptions?
Probably not.

Old 02-26-2020 | 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jakob morgan
Anyone used the iCarsoft Jaguar/Landrover scanner? $150 on amazon is pretty good if it can actually do everything it claims. Can any of these scanners clear the TCM adaptions?
I don't know about the TCM. I did buy one last year and it was a total disappointment relative to their claims. The scanner looks to be well made but the software may do more than most scanners for Jags and LR's but still not all they claim. I contacted them and after many back and forwards of sending them logs from the scanner they managed to fix some things, not all the problems. After about 32 days I decided to return it but they have a 30 day return policy and would not take it back. I contacted Amazon and they also would do nothing. I offered all my emails proving the problem started within days of receiving it but Amazon were not interested. I plan on getting a different unit in due course and would sell this one for $100.

The following users liked this post:
Clovis997 (10-03-2023)
Old 04-10-2020 | 01:39 PM
Veteran member

I am looking to update the readers that I have. I have the Torque (Lite) application and this is a great unit for the back yard mechanic that just needs a little bit of information to get going in the right direction. I also have the Autel HT200. I have mixed feelings on this.gives lots of information, but not sure how relevant a lot of it was. It also was not the quickest thing out there and wanted to know the VIN number for everything you did. So, this would slow you down every time you went to a different screen. So, overall, it was ok. But, now they are wanting me to update the software again and essentially, I am finding out that you have to do this every year. Since they do not even sell this product any more, I have decided to cut my losses and look for a new reader. Is the list on the first page updated with new readers? I am attempting to diagnose an issue that from what I can tell is either one of my height sensors is falling out of tolerance (would need to be able to allow calibration of the system) and causing the adaptive suspension to go stiff on me (the failure mode it goes to) or I have a bad 1-2 shift solenoid (possibly a torque converter lockup solenoid) that is somehow causing this sane issue. The Torque (Lite) just doesn't have the processing for the extended stuff (if it does, someone please tell me where it is hidden). I am willing to put in some money for a good reader as I am someone who will use it often to help out others. But ,at the same time, I am not really looking to spend the $1000 on a SDD system (beyond what I need, would probably brick a few computers because I wouldn't be able to not mess with stuff)..

My ideal system would be able to do the following:
-reset service indicator (if the unit can't do this, no big deal)
-code reading of all computers in the car (engine, tranny, suspension, body, EPB, etc)
-real time data
-calibration of EPB, suspension height, etc.
-wishful price range: $150-200

If there is something available that meets what I am looking for, please let me know. In case you are worried about it matching up to a vehicle, ideally this is for a 2012 XJ with the 5.0L engine. But, this would most likely work its way over to many other cars as I like helping out the neighbors and members when they need help.

Old 04-12-2020 | 08:10 PM
Veteran member

Well, did some looking around the house and remembered that I had bought a cable and laptop awhile ago and gave up on making SDD work. Decided to give it a try. So far, things are looking good. Have not connected it to the car, but I have been able to get it up and running with a Mongoose Pro cable and SDD 1.59 (no login required). So, lets see what this does once I connect it to the car and see what it can and cannot do. The only thing that has me a little worried at the moment is that as I was finishing up the install, the anti-virus triggered on a heuristic alert. Reading up, it can be a real thing, it can be a false positive. This is a laptop that I don't use for anything else, so, if it bricks, it bricks. I am making sure to keep the wi-fi off on the unit and I am pretty much only running SDD on the unit. Doing a final virus check after bypassing the quarantined files and installing them anyways. I figure if it is a true virus, the scan that is currently happening should indicate that it wasn't a false positive and was an actual virus. I will wipe the hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

Two things I did find of interest is that Drew Technologies is no longer making a JLR specific cable. They do have the software still available. So, you may be able to get say a Ford Pro cable and make things work. Not 100% sure, but the cable should be fairly generic and the only difference being the software that you download as it appears that it puts something into the cable to make it brand specific. The other thing is maybe I am reading too far into it, but I am thinking that you need to install the Drew Technology software and also all of the SDD software. That wasn't something that I did the first time and the reason why I had the pieces, but not a functional system. Is there something that the Drew Technologies software will do without the SDD software? Kinda curious. I haven't gone into the Drew software all that much as I have been spending most of the day trying to SDD installed (very time intensive thing with all the updates that I put in on both the laptop and for the SDD software).

As I find out more, I will let you all know.

Old 04-14-2020 | 02:51 PM
Veteran Member

Hook up a hefty power supply if you ever reprogram - a decent heavy duty charger will do otherwise. You won't believe the current that can be drawn...

Old 04-14-2020 | 09:58 PM
Veteran member

JagV8, I have drawn a line with myself. I do not plan on reprogramming anything unless it is a MUST DO. I know me. If I start tweaking, I will keep tweaking till the point I have a $1000 paperweight. So, easier to just keep the rules simple. Time will tell. But, good to know that you need something to keep the car charged while you program a module.

Old 04-15-2020 | 01:39 AM
Veteran Member

Good plan

You want a decent power supply or the car running in any case - all the modules will be powered up and active so sinking power.

Old 06-08-2020 | 07:06 PM

The CEN-TECH 94169, tested on 2007 XJ8 is listed as "approved" in post one.
The CEN-TECH 94169, tested on my 2004 XJ8 is garbage, it throws an error message and will not let me reset the check engine light. So I ordered the laptop based OBDCOM for $88 and will post here how that works out.

after a long wait it says line error!

Last edited by jagophile; 06-08-2020 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-10-2020 | 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

What about the Foxwell NT510, anyone tried it ?
They are on sale for $129 delivered to your door.
With one free download, they say it can program modules.
Also it can reprogram them, if they are able to be reprogrammed.
Saw it recommended on a Scotty Kilmer video.
He doesn't get paid to advertise any products.
All kinds of tools, & stuff is sent to him to try & rate
He's pretty blunt about what works, & what doesn't.
He gives this high praise, for the small amount of money.
Says it does several functions that his his $3500 reader does.

Old 08-26-2020 | 05:26 PM
Default 2017 Jaguar XJL (Supercharged)

Has anyone had any luck with finding an OBD2 Scanner / Diagnostic Tool that works well with a 2017 Jaguar XJL (Supercharged)? More specifically, and OBD2 / Diagnostic Tool that works well with a few / some of the following features:

*Steering Angle Reset
*Electronic Parking Brake
*Bi-Directional Active Test
*DPF Reset
*ABS Bleeding
*Special Reset Functions
*Brake Pad Life

Thanks for the replies

Old 08-26-2020 | 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

No real feed back on the Foxwell NT510, from anyone but me i guess.
I find it scans the modules reads and clears Jaguar specific codes.
Find more things to see it does, every time i plug it in.
For $129, with the Jaguar download included, a pretty good deal.
The icarsoft i930 is another very good Jaguar specific reader.
That one i got for less than $60 delivered,.half the price,two years earlier.
Sure there are plenty of others out there as well.

Old 08-27-2020 | 05:24 AM

Just saw your post—sorry my response is late.I have the ICarsoft i930 and am not happy with it. It will not read the ECM on my 2004 XJ8. Their “tech support” never even responded to my multiple calls and emails. Their receptionist promised that they would get back to me, but it never happened.

Old 08-27-2020 | 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

That seems to be standard procedure, they never responded to me, at all.
The 04's engine modules are not read by the i930's, but the others modules are.
The Foxwell is limited here as well, as are all except the dealer level types.

Old 09-08-2020 | 05:17 PM

Ancel AD 410 would not recognize a check engine light on my 1997 XK8. Ancel support says device is not compatible with my car.

Old 01-07-2021 | 05:32 PM

2016 XJL Portfolio, 3.0L DFI, AWD, 35k

not sure if this thread is still being supported. Longer than War and Peace. I originally assumed I could read it all.
H20boy's last update to the entry page is 2014.
I agree with the recommendation from 2014 to divide into at least 3 parts: the AutoEnginuity choices, the Mongoose/SDD coded tools, and the cheap and basic.

For CAN-OBD basic handheld, I bought the Innova 3150RS for under $200. Haven't had any issues. It identified the car. However, need to start the engine for it to synch.

Old 03-09-2021 | 08:09 AM

I guess, just to add to this long list... I praised the FlyOBD JLR SDD2 and have had it for years, it was able to maintain the latest versions of SDD with all features including 160.02 but yesterday I had my rude awakening. This company has been full of internal conflict and over time reduced support for clients, yesterday was the all time low and now bodes my recommendation to stay away from their products.

In their wisdom and platform, they run with the FDVI and later switched to the newer SVCI series but they still sell and supported the FDVI series (One of the sale promises was lifetime support for original purchaser) The JLR SDD2 is under the FDVI and needs the FDVI Quick Loader to run properly, as of yesterday, the Quick Loader program requires an update to operate which is linked to their site which they removed the program update, leaving it in an infinite loop thus locking up use of the product. Their reason on their site when I tried to find out what is happening is that there are other companies cloning their products so they removed all support for the FDVI series and whether it was purchased years ago or yesterday, your out of luck but they will support the SVCI series for now. I have tried contacting but received no replies. (Personally sounds more like they need to boost sales of the SVCI line because, really, what do they do?)

I have been looking at both the Launch X431 V+ and Launch X431 Pro but wow... what completely different marketing and support strategies for these two that perform about the same. I also was looking at the Autel MaxiIM IM608 but I can't see my use to the subscription cost worth it. In the end, I will most likely purchase a proper dongle and use the SDD subscription on TOPIx when a repair is required. I have many diagnostic units but my favorite right now is the OBDLink MX+ with Torque (I also use it with FORScan for my Ford vehicles)

Sorry again for the long winded post but I thought I should get this out a.s.a.p.

Kevin

Old 03-10-2021 | 04:24 PM

I’ll also chime in on the iCarSoft i930. Useful on the F-Type for quick reads but limited on what it can actually do. Had it for general code reading on our Rovers so this was expected. I will say, I’m very disappointed in the coding abilities of these Jags compared to our Audis, BMWs, Lexus and even my F150. Not really griping about wanting to change various options, more about the servicing abilities. I don’t like collecting gadgets...just miss having a program like Ross-Tech’s VCDS for the Audi VAG-COM Software to add to my garage laptop.

Old 03-10-2021 | 07:19 PM
Veteran Member

My Foxwell's 510 is more advanced than the i930 is, but it still could be better.
Having two Jaguars, one in each car, the Foxwell in the Vanden Plas.
The other one in the 04 base XJ8,.
The computer, with the cable set up is next.
When fortune smiles and sends some extra funds my way.
Till then i'll get by with what i have.

Old 03-13-2021 | 07:08 AM

Ive tried the OBDLink with the latest firmware on a 2017 XE and while it can connect and read codes and pull data from the ECU when the car is in the on position (engine not running), the car does not like the LX to still be plugged in when the engine is on. Strange things start to happen even with the care still in Park and at idle. Here are some of what I have seen: ASPC deactivated, driving modes unavailable, Auto Start/Stop unavailable. After taking the car in for annual service, I asked the tech to take a look at the ECU and after doing so, he had asked me not to do whatever I did because it looked very strange. Maybe there is a setting on the OBDlink that causes this to happen, maybe it is just this reader. Either way, seems like it should be listed as one to NOT use if your goal is to collect real time data while driving. I tried reading codes and real time data with both the OBDlink app and with Torque, both work and connect to the device fine, although the car still doesnt like when the reader is plugged in with the engine on. Looks like it will only give access to the Engine module with respect to data (temps, pressures, O2s, trims etc.)

OBDlink LX https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-lx/

Old 03-31-2021 | 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by kkurulak
I guess, just to add to this long list... I praised the FlyOBD JLR SDD2 and have had it for years, it was able to maintain the latest versions of SDD with all features including 160.02 but yesterday I had my rude awakening. This company has been full of internal conflict and over time reduced support for clients, yesterday was the all time low and now bodes my recommendation to stay away from their products.

In their wisdom and platform, they run with the FDVI and later switched to the newer SVCI series but they still sell and supported the FDVI series (One of the sale promises was lifetime support for original purchaser) The JLR SDD2 is under the FDVI and needs the FDVI Quick Loader to run properly, as of yesterday, the Quick Loader program requires an update to operate which is linked to their site which they removed the program update, leaving it in an infinite loop thus locking up use of the product. Their reason on their site when I tried to find out what is happening is that there are other companies cloning their products so they removed all support for the FDVI series and whether it was purchased years ago or yesterday, your out of luck but they will support the SVCI series for now. I have tried contacting but received no replies. (Personally sounds more like they need to boost sales of the SVCI line because, really, what do they do?)

I have been looking at both the Launch X431 V+ and Launch X431 Pro but wow... what completely different marketing and support strategies for these two that perform about the same. I also was looking at the Autel MaxiIM IM608 but I can't see my use to the subscription cost worth it. In the end, I will most likely purchase a proper dongle and use the SDD subscription on TOPIx when a repair is required. I have many diagnostic units but my favorite right now is the OBDLink MX+ with Torque (I also use it with FORScan for my Ford vehicles)

Sorry again for the long winded post but I thought I should get this out a.s.a.p.

Kevin
Well. got it working again with 160.03 but still no input from my inquiries so not sure what is happening on their end. I am happy it is communicating with their server.

Quick Reply: OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **