General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 02:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jakob morgan
Anyone used the iCarsoft Jaguar/Landrover scanner? $150 on amazon is pretty good if it can actually do everything it claims. Can any of these scanners clear the TCM adaptions?
Hi, Yes, I just got mine for my XFR and it worked fine, it helped me to diagnose an issue with one of my parking sensors.
I bought it from ebay, here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/18381196229...item2acc0bf5b7

The only thing I noticed, is that it returns the error codes without the digits after the - sign, for instance, it would return B1B48, for rear outer left sensor, but the workshop manual indicates that there are 3 codes with that designation, B1B48-01, B1B48-12 or B1B48-96. Still it's a good approximation, and you can check the sensors in realtime to see their values.

Old 07-16-2021, 06:06 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I personally use and have used for a while the vident iauto702pro its relatively inexpensive at £170 the updates are regular. It's been used on fiestas right to McLaren's, lamborghini's, Ferrari's and beyond. I seriously rate it for cost simply and the huge range of features/tools it provides.

Ben.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which OBD2 reader should I be looking for on Ebay, X-type 2007. Just want something light and affordable, 30-50 dollars.

Old 11-03-2021, 12:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X-Type 2.0D 2004 OBD Code Reader AUTEL ML529 Work OK
Just to advise that the Autel ML529 successfully read my UK cars OBD engine data and reset the warning light.
I understand that the Autel AL529 is exactly the same unit but a different colour.
The ML529 shows both the description as well as the error code so saved having to look it up.
Enabled me to use the ML529 to reset the Engine Management light with the unit as the fault had cleared.
The X-Type error I had was "Exhaust Gas Re circulation Control Circuit"
Must flag that it will not show SRS airbag and related codes which apparently the 619 \ 629 units are said to do but cannot confirm.
I have no experience of OBD readers so not sure if a £5 reader could have done the exact same job or not.
Hopefully this information will help someone ?

Last edited by GGG; 11-03-2021 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Remove QUOTE
The following users liked this post:
Cino61 (11-13-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 11:43 AM
Default What's the latest as of Nov 2021?

Wow, what a long thread dating back to 2010 ! A lot has changed with technology in that time. I just bought a 2009 XK and have successfully used an ODB product called FIXD on my family Odyssey, etc. (they run specials all the time for $19.95, NOT $59.95 on Amazon) So, a few new owner questions: I am using an iPhone 11 Pro Max and would like an recommendations for the best ODBII scanner that will work with my XK? Can I leave it plugged in all the time?

FYI, I contacted the FIXD tech support people and they said FIXD ONLY works with their scanner software ... so, great for my wife, family and friends but not good enough for a Jag. I'd like to see coolant temp, battery level, etc.

Is this a good choice
Tonwon Pro ODBII BT 4.0 from Amazon Tonwon Pro ODBII BT 4.0 from Amazon

Thanks, Scott

Last edited by JagXK2009; 11-14-2021 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 11-18-2021, 12:57 AM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I recently bought the CRP 123 Premium by Launch off the Snap On truck that comes weekly to the worlds largest Yamaha Golf Car Dealer I recently started wrenching for after 15 years as a truck driver. I picked it up for $50 used.
It's an entry level professional grade diagnostic tool with an amateur price tag and can be bought new for not much more than a $120 from I've seen online.
I've used it on my '03 XJ8 Sport and so far it works as intended. Quite happy with the purchase and it has really good reviews from what I've seen .
I was able to take it home for a week and try it out first which was cool.
It monitors and streams 88 functions of the engine live on a 4" colored screen and does graphs. I haven't, as of yet, used it to it's full capability as it also does the Transmission, ABS, and Airbags.
For those looking for a little more than just a code reader, it's a good buy and supposedly works on all Asian, European, and American gasoline vehicles from 2001 on to I believe 2017 and diesel from 2004 on. It updates via a computer and USB cable.

Features:

• Retrieves Manufacturer Specific Enhanced Data for Domestic, Asian and European vehicles
  • Reads and Records Data Streams for ABS, SRS, Transmission and Engine
  • Auto ID Vehicles, Auto Module Search & Fast Protocol ID
  • Reads and clears codes on Engine, Transmission (A/T), ABS, and Airbag (SRS) systems – on all makes and all models (16 Pin)
  • Support for all 10 test modes of OBD II with Enhanced OBD II Mode 6
  • Retrieves generic and manufacturer specific codes – Current, Permanent & Pending
  • View freeze frame data and I/M Readiness monitor status
  • Graph, record, and replay data in full color
  • Menu with DTC definitions in English, Spanish & French
  • Intuitive Interface and Button Operation with Sleek, Rugged Design 4.0” TFT full color display
  • Free Internet updates (USB 2.0)

Last edited by 60Gunner; 11-18-2021 at 01:31 AM.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thnx for this post. I’m definitely gonna b getting one. Too many electronics on the ‘newer’ jags.

Old 12-12-2021, 04:10 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi I was looking at the scanners list above, recommended for my XJ8 3.2 1998 Exec, been to the site, thought id share the info on this scanner(ref purposes only)
Although some writeups on Amazon are not complementary, so check out properly?

https://www.innova.com/products/fixa...FeatureContent

Last edited by Jagger98; 12-12-2021 at 04:13 AM.
Old 05-15-2022, 07:26 PM

I have a 2000 XJR. I've read thru this thread top to bottom - researched the different code scanners mentioned for my model. I'd really like to see an update on what are considered the most desirable code scanners now. I think it would be helpful for me and others.

Superchargedxkr (01-28-2023)
Old 05-16-2022, 04:59 AM

I have a 2005 S-type - manual transmission(!) - and bought the iCarsoft Multi-system Car Diagnostic Tool LR V2.0 - it works on Land ROver and Jaguar, but not all models. I haven't seen my XKR SC from 1999 in the list. It does read all the things it claims it does, so far for scanning. I only use it for scanning, because I am not savvy enough to go muck about systems I do not work with. It's easier messed up than repaired in this case.

Used it when my handbrake wouldn't release anymore. People said it usually is the electric motor from the handbrake. Changed the handbrake unit and problem ... not solved. So I bought the scanner, the cause the scanner came up with was the clutch switch. Tried the one on the paddle, not the right one. Tried about every switch in the bloody car which could have anything to do with the clutch system. In the end the scanner was never the less right. The ECU for the handbrake and the cruise control didn't receive a 3v signal from the master clutch cylinder. Not because that switch was broken, but because the ECU was broken.

Still use it at regular intervals to check my car. Now I need a scanner for my 1999 super charged XKS

Old 05-18-2022, 05:35 PM
Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Not all scan tools are alike: Hagerty recommendations

Maybe you missed this months Hagerty Drivers Club article on Jaguar OBD scanners. I tried to find it online to no avail, so I scanned the magazine article into the attached PDF. The recommendations in this column are generally spot-on. Here is the salient conclusion:

That said, the Land Rover/ Jaguar scan tools from iCarSoft and Foxwell both appear to be popular in the Jaguar world. The iCarSoft LR vl.0 ($190), will read and clear trouble codes and perform an oil service maintenance reset. The Foxwell NT630 ($150) will also perform the service functions of steering angle calibration and ABS bleeding. For $260, the iCarSoft LR v2.0 adds Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) and Battery Management System (BMS) reset.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
OBD-scanners.pdf (88.3 KB, 176 views)
Superchargedxkr (01-28-2023)
Old 05-19-2022, 01:39 AM

I have no subscription on, or am a member of Hagerty Drivers Club (I live in the Netherlands, Europe), and, hence, cannot share your knowledge in this unless someone draws my attention to those articles. Thank you for sharing the article.

jagophile (05-19-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 05:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm using the "xtool d7"
I highly rate it. It can access all the Jaguar systems, does service resets and has live data. Also is bi-directional for those of you who are more hands on with fault finding. Plus unlike some it has the ability to do most cars of any make and model.
Its way beyond what I required but i bought it on offer on prime day off amazon for a decent price and was able to do the spread the cost over 3 months interest free so couldn't resist.

Superchargedxkr (02-05-2023)
Old 09-23-2022, 08:59 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Blau grun obd2 bt

Amazon Amazon
Folks, I had this scanner and used it with 2006 Toyota Rav4 and 2019 Subaru Outback.
Tried to see what I can see with just acquired 2004 XJ8 VDP. Plugged reader into OBD port. What a surprise: when I turned key into ON the message center started coming in with all good things like Power break failure, gear box failure, air suspension failure...
Torque Pro was not able to connect to ECU.
Turned ignition OFF. waited for about 30 seconds turned it on, started engine MIL came on!
Car did not went through state inspection yet! I have no means to read/rest codes.
Drove for a while: nothing abnormal.
Next day was working under hood cleaning things, had to unplug MAF sensor to check status of air filter. May be just coincident, ignition was OFF. But when I started engine after I was done with air filter and MAF was connected back, MIL went OFF.
Just want to share my experience with this device. I will NEVER plug this code reader into Jag again!

Old 09-27-2022, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

It's coincidence.

Your laws say when the MIL is put on / goes off and Jaguar obey them (they were fined when they slipped up).

Old 12-13-2022, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,930 Posts

What you linked is not a scanner? It's an OBDII interface? But it should give you the basic codes.
The software should have somewhere in it a place to erase codes?
Please post the codes themselves so you can get better help.

Do you know how to Bluetooth connect that interface using Torque Pro? Torque Pro can use any OBDII device that's one of the nice things about it.
The device was NOT your problem and without seeing the codes you still have in the car I can't say if it's fixed or not?

Old 12-13-2022, 10:00 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
What you linked is not a scanner? It's an OBDII interface? But it should give you the basic codes.
The software should have somewhere in it a place to erase codes?
Please post the codes themselves so you can get better help.

Do you know how to Bluetooth connect that interface using Torque Pro? Torque Pro can use any OBDII device that's one of the nice things about it.
The device was NOT your problem and without seeing the codes you still have in the car I can't say if it's fixed or not?
Clubairthı,
Thank you for correcting me. Yes, it is BT interface for OBDII.
BTW, I do use this dongle with Torque Pro on Android phone. It works fine on 2006 Toyota and 2019 Subaru. But, 2004 jag does not like it at all: shows various messages and, I think, locks it from connection to Torque Pro...

On other hand I am using iCarsoft 930. It does not diagnose my car automatically, says something like can't connect to ECM. It does reads OBDII codes, resets, diagnose some other functions like ASM and parking assist module, but not in automatic mode, I have to select every module manually. It does read OBDII sensors like STFT , LTFT, rail pressure, etc.
The other interesting facts it reports failed some of communication protocols. I need to dig in to see if those protocols are applicable to 2004 jag.
Regards,
B. Koshka

Last edited by Big Koshka; 12-13-2022 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,930 Posts

That icarsoft scanner seems to be the one for your car so I can't explain why it won't connect?
Now if your getting failed communication errors that can point to battery problems?
Battery age?

Old 12-14-2022, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Quite a few OBD II tools are buggy. Some struggle with cars (like many Jags) which have multiple protocols (e.g. ISO 9141-2, CAN & SCP) or with a PCM (aka ECM) that's not at the typical address (e.g. $11 instead of $10) or are fooled if the PCM responds to more than one protocol (e.g. 9141 & CAN).

There may be updated firmware for the tool, or not.

Old 01-26-2023, 06:25 AM
Received 315 Likes on 183 Posts

I've got lost in this thread, so much info over the 12 years or so it's been running.

Is there a current recommendation to use on a X308?

I was thinking of this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384979812...id=27038347467

VIDENT iAuto 702Pro

As recommended further up the thread, is that still a good idea?

Quick Reply: OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **