General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar ABS Scanner

Hi there does anyone know where I can pick up a ABS Scanner for Jaguars 1998 and newer? It has to be able to read ABS and Air Bag codes

Old 04-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default $52.99 - ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II Wireless Transceiver Dongle

I have purchased and used one of these:

$52.99 - ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II Wireless Transceiver Dongle - OBD/OBD2 Car Diag. Tools

It is the elm327 chip. It works with my 2005 XJ8 VDP. I intend to leave it in place permanently.

I have purchased a bunch of different products from dealextreme.com and have always been happy with their service. It arrived two weeks after I ordered it.
Typical shipping times, the proverbial "slow boat from China".

I use it with Torque for Android ($5 at the app market). The software connected to the device and work perfectly out of the box with my HTC Thunderbolt.

Using the additional Torque plug-in the device "sees" 5 additional live outputs that torque is not reporting, so someone with app programing skill could get additional information that Torque is currently not showing.

Torque does link to complete Jaguar codes (for those it reports) so you can see on the fly the explanation of the code presented. My car isn't reporting any issues so I can't speak to what would be displayed if you actually had an issue.

At this point Torque reports the following for my car:

Display Name Description
Acceleration Sensors X Y and Z acceleration sensors
Engine Load Percentage load of the engine
Engine RPM RPM (Revs per minute) of the engine
Intake Manifold Pressure Air intake pressure at manifold
Mass Air Flow Rate Air intake flow rate measured as mass
Throttle Position ECU commanded throttle position (not user commanded)
Timing Advance Degrees advance of engine timing
Trip Distance Distance travelled since start of app/reset
0-100kph Time Performance counter 0-100 Kilometers per hour timer
0-60mph Time Performance counter 0-60 Miles per hour timer
1/4 Mile time Performance counter quarter mile timer
1/8 Mile Time Performance counter one eigth mile timer
Altitude (GPS) Altitude as derived from GPS chipset
Ambient Air Temp Ambient air temparature
Barometric pressure Air pressure as measured by ECU
Fuel Trim bank X sensor X Individual fuel trims
Horsepower Calculated Horsepower
Intake Air Temperature Air temperature measured at air intake
Speed (OBD) Speed as measured from ECU
Speed (GPS) Speed as measured from GPS unit
Fuel Pressure
Turbo Boost & Vacuum gauge
KPL
MPG
Voltage
GPS vs OBD Speed difference

According to the dealextreme website the device will report the following:

Supports all OBD-II protocols
• Works with all OBD-II compliant vehicles
• Wireless (Bluetooth)
• Software included for Palm, PDA
• Software included for Windows PC
• Software included for Windows Smartphone
• Supports ISO 9141, KWP2000
• Supports SAE J1850
• Supports CAN bus
Functions:
• Read diagnostic trouble codes, both generic and manufacturer-specific, and display their meaning (over 3000 generic code definitions in the database).
• Clear trouble codes and turn off the MIL ("Check Engine" light)
• Display current sensor data, including:
• Engine RPM
• Calculated Load Value
• Coolant Temperature
• Fuel System Status
• Vehicle Speed
• Short Term Fuel Trim
• Long Term Fuel Trim
• Intake Manifold Pressure
• Timing Advance
• Intake Air Temperature
• Air Flow Rate
• Absolute Throttle Position
• Oxygen sensor voltages/associated short term fuel trims
• Fuel System status
• Fuel Pressure
• Many others...

For a $58 solution I am very pleased with the wireless transceiver from DealExtreme and the Torque for Android software.

Now I can drive down the road with my phone in it's cradle and watch live data streaming to the phone. Very cool.

Last edited by 45Wheelgun; 04-16-2011 at 06:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Alforest (08-23-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 09:51 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just bought the ELM 327 on the bay for $17.00 shipped from Hong Kong, actually bought it 4-17 and got it today.

The generic software and demos on the disk are worthless, Soooooooooo I grabbed up proscan 5.0 works like a charm, turned off my CEL.

All is good.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:53 PM

UPDATE:

The unit is now having connection problems, first noticed today.

Looking at the "AutoEnginuity OBDII" now.

The HK 327 clone may be only minimally useful.

Hardware- ELM 327 worked perfectly on my 2003 XJ8 VDP
Software- Proscan 5.0 flawless!! Worked just fine with this hardware bought in HK for $17.00.

Last edited by ant17; 10-21-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Update
Old 04-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JWT
Got the confirmation reply from Mike at OBDCOM a while ago. That says something about response & support! He confirmed Jaguar specific code capability. I copy the paragraph from his reply below for clarity. He also reminded me that his company issues free updates to the software as more specific codes capabilities are added.

I noticed the link to their URL did not work in my earlier post, so maybe the forum stops them somehow? Here it is again.OBDCOM Diagnostic Systems for ALL vehicles

Here is Mike's reply ( who has just purchased an XJ8... way to go Mike!)

"We recently added hundreds of new Jaguar (and other manufacturer) -specific code descriptions to that database, and yes it does read all the Jaguar specific (engine-related) trouble codes. You won't find any buttons or functions in the software that specifically address the brand of vehicle you're working on, because the OBD-II standard makes them all "talk" the same. But, having said that... Not all tools handle manufacturer-specific trouble codes the same. Some will not report them if they do not regocnize them, others won't report them at all, or they only show them to you if you purchse an upgrade of some sort. Anyway, I noticed another forum member mentioned that their reader would not read some codes, so I thought I should mention that ours will report the code no matter what."
This looks like a good product, however my car was built in the UK. Can anyone confirm if the software will read Jaguar manufacturer codes in cars from outside the US? I bought the Autoenginuity software including the Jaguar enhancment. It has failed to read any Jaguar sensors on my 1996 XJ6 or a 1998 XJ8 or a 2003 XJ6. Only got generic readings from all cars. I dont want to buy another product and have the same problems. Any comments or experiences would be a help. Thanks in advance. Dave, Liverpool, England.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by davedonoghue
This looks like a good product, however my car was built in the UK. Can anyone confirm if the software will read Jaguar manufacturer codes in cars from outside the US? I bought the Autoenginuity software including the Jaguar enhancment. It has failed to read any Jaguar sensors on my 1996 XJ6 or a 1998 XJ8 or a 2003 XJ6. Only got generic readings from all cars. I dont want to buy another product and have the same problems. Any comments or experiences would be a help. Thanks in advance. Dave, Liverpool, England.
Did you buy the Jaguar specific enhancements?

If you want to dump it, post a few more messages so you can get PM privileges and send a PM.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by 45Wheelgun
I have purchased and used one of these:

$52.99 - ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II Wireless Transceiver Dongle - OBD/OBD2 Car Diag. Tools

Now I can drive down the road with my phone in it's cradle and watch live data streaming to the phone. Very cool.
Not trying to one-up Wheelgun, but I got the $39.95 version from Amazon with free two-day shipping (daughter has a gratis "PRIME" account extended to full-time students)

Here is info I couldn't find short of trial & error: The "Free" version of Torque (Android Marketplace) will not give you ST and LT fuel trims and I couldn't find documentation as to what you get for the $4.95 Upgrade other than 0-60 & 0-100 mph timers. Furthermore, the Free version returns three false codes on a 95 VDP 4.0L when the actual situtation is a P0411. Paid version tells the truth about the P0411 on a 95. Both versions accurately report P0171/P0174 on 2005 S-Type 3.0L. On the other hand, as far as I can tell, the free Torque will not shut down your Ford 7.3L powerstroke diesel when you scan for codes (but I don't know if it will return any or the proper ones as I didn't have any on that one) However, the paid version WILL DEFINITELY secure power to the 7.3L PwrStroke fuel pump and kill it immediately EVERY time you ask for a code-scan, then activate the "Service ENgine Soon" light but claim it is not in communication with the PCM when you try to find out why that light is on. Furthermore, there will be no restart unless and until you cycle the key through the "OFF" position to reset things. Just a word of caution. Don't know if this behaviour applies to other vehicles/engines but certainly a 2000 Excursion.

I'm not complaining, it is a neat gadget, even with the freebie-app considering all the parameters you can watch in real-time driving down the road. The X300 port is tucked away a bit inboard of the leading edge of the center console and lends itself to leaving it attached. If you get it for the S-type, I'd go for the "shorty" version as its port is a bit more in the legroom area. My complaints: No list of the extra parameters you get with the paid-version (even on the Torque website/forum) and the suspect codes delivered by the feebie (though I realize you get what you pay for) To be fair, though I can't recall, the Ford Powerstroke MAY be on the published list of vehicles the ELM327/Torque is not compatible with, but to me.....there is a bit of a jump between "Scanner is incompatible with..." and "Shuts your engine down cold!" I also found other commands besides "check codes" will SOMETIMES shut down the PSD, but they were seemingly random and intermittent, whilst "Check codes" was 100%.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by plumsauce
Did you buy the Jaguar specific enhancements?

If you want to dump it, post a few more messages so you can get PM privileges and send a PM.
That $17.00 item in post 104 worked fine for my XJ8 vdp.

Used proscan 5.0 software bc the free SW they send with the hardware is pretty much useless!!

Old 05-19-2011, 06:40 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Not trying to one-up Wheelgun, but I got the $39.95 version from Amazon with free two-day shipping (daughter has a gratis "PRIME" account extended to full-time students)
FYI:

I didn't purchase the device I did from dealextreme.com based on price. It was based on recommendations from other users as well as the author of Torque. The author has a Torque forum where devices are compared and contrasted.

Not all implementations of the ELM327 chip are equal. The Torque author specifically recommends against the $20 ebay solution as "problematic" and "prone to failure". Obviously your mileage may vary...

Since the Torque software is just translating the data received by the ELM327, your results will be specifically effected by the ELM327 implementation you purchase.

The Torque software itself (speaking only of the paid version), is completely programmable by someone with programming skills. Already there are multiple people working on various plugins for the product. One available in the market now (for free) displays a raw feed of all data being received including codes that are not currently being translated. Another allows for you phone's camera to capture video, mate it to the data. In playback mode, you can see video of trip with system data overlaid on top.

The online tracking of data from your car is being developed by several people and shows great promise.

My paid version with my device shows fuel trim levels along with a pile of data i have no idea how to use!

Old 05-31-2011, 08:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OBDCOM works on my 2003 S Type 4.2

Old 06-01-2011, 09:03 AM

The $17.00 solution worked flawless for me!! And for that price, your ahead if you have to throw it away!

No need for the more expensive options.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm happy with this one Autel
I ordered it directly from China and It was around 50 €. Work's fine with 3.0 x-type -03.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default does AutoEnginuity read Bxxxx DTC & PID codes?

Does the autoenginuity ST06 w/Jag specific module read all DTC's including Bxxxx codes; like that surfacez via RCM, and does it read PID codes as well? I am trying to isolate cause of airbag flsh code 17 and need to fetch both DTC & PID codes and before spending $500 I want to be sure the unit reads these codes. I tried an INNOVA model 3120 and it did pick up the Cruise Control related DTC, since that cable was unplugged at one time and the tool did clear it out, however that machine claims there were no other DTC's present.
Thanks, Bob

Old 07-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

Bob,
Take a look at this https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...project-55163/ it may help you.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Default OBD-II capable of jag PID codes

Norri, I've seen the post and have been in touch with Jim ( Bodyman). He's given me a few helpful pointers. however I am at the point where I need a comprehensive OBD-II reader capable of reading and displaying Bxxxx codes and deciphering jaguar specific PID codes. It seems Autoenginuity is the most comprehensive reader available to a DIY and I need to make sure it provides accurate info re: PID codes. From what I've gathered, that is the only way to isolate my problem. If there is another scanner that can do it for half the price, that would be cool but can't find those details in this thread.
Bob

Old 07-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

OK,
Maybe you could PM Jagv8, I think he has autoenginuity and certainly knows what it's capabilites are.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:39 PM

Actron CP9575 seems to work well with the 2000 S-Type.

Jeff

Old 07-21-2011, 07:39 AM

AutoEnginuity ST-06 Proline OBD-II adapter with Jaguar specific module level 9.1.1 is capable of resetting SRS / ARTS / RCM airbag flash codes in 2006 XJ8. This is a PC based scan tool utilizing USB connected to IBM Thinkpad running XP Professional.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:47 AM

I bought a ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII scanner for £16/about $25 from eBay. I then got the free Torque app for my Android phone.

It seems to work very well, and I have been able to delete fault codes after doing a little bit of maintenance, so am very happy.

One thing - these units do not appear to ship with the Bluetooth pairing code for the unit. I dug around on an Android developers forum and found that the default code is 6789, not particularly intuitive if they are not going to tell you the code!

Cheers,

Al

Old 09-05-2011, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

So long as you're fully aware that elm327 / torque ONLY deals with one of the car's 10-20 modules (the PCM).

It also only gives partial live data - which won't matter to most users.

Do not trust the text displayed for any manufacturer-specific codes (e.g. P1xxx ones), with any tool that's not jag-specific. Look the actual code up in a jag file. Don't just google and hope!!

E.g. most sources of data get P1000 and P1111 wrong. They get most other P1xxx codes wrong, too. Those types of code can and do vary even between models of the same make across the years! (That's how a P1 code is allowed by standard & law to be.)

Quick Reply: OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **