General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

OBDII scanner recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBDII scanner recommendations

Like the thread title says, any specific OBDII scanner recommendations from personal experience?

Also, has anyone had any problems clearing a code from the computer. I've heard that some models will throw another code for "memory loss"? If anyone has specific XF info that would be helpful.

Thanks in Advance

Old 11-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

peniole, what exactly are you wanting your future scanner to do. Simple engine and tranny codes, other more 'enhanced' functions like ABS, air bags, misc modules? Real time 02 stats, and other instant data? That'll make a huge difference in what is recommended.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:13 PM

Well I'd actually need to know how useful the extended capabilities would be for me. Would you mind sharing some of the more advanced capabilities and applications? Thanks.

I am looking for more than just pulling engine and transmission codes. I'd like to see some real time data to keep an eye for gas quality (timing retardation, mix ratios...etc.), make sure that things don't turn into problems in the future if I catch a variance in the numbers early (if that makes sense during normal maintenance). Check for emission readiness. Clear annoyance codes such as the p0411 that some 09s are getting and are waiting for re-program. Reset the maintenance light if I do my own maintenance.

So far I've found a couple...

Elmscan 5 compact. http://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/e...5-compact.html

A considerably more expensive one from AutoEnginuity. http://www.autoenginuity.com/products-scantoolpc.html

I'm leaning towards the PC hookup ones rather than the stand alone ones. They cost less but seem to provide more data and flexibility.

Last edited by peniole; 11-25-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,909 Likes on 3,211 Posts

peniole, if you are after real time data, then the laptop variations are what you are going to want. The cheapy readers read only the basic engine codes. There are also enhanced codes which only the higher end ones will read. After that, accessing the other computers is going to be a function of what the reader can/will do. That varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Seems to me the laptop readers normally don't access the other computers. So, that might be a detractor, might not be. I had one of the laptop readers and I loved it alot. Granted, I had a trouble with keeping the program running because it required a very specific setup in my computer and always gave me trouble. But, when it worked, it was great. The real time stats can be somewhat overwhelming. There is tons of data to look at. So, make sure that whatever program you get, it has the ability to turn stuff off so you are looking at only what you want to look at.

If you have more questions, just ask.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

In that case pineole, I can only recommend your last one - autoengenuity, as it is what I purchased after considerable research. Its very complex and configurable to whatever you want to do. Maybe others will have another recommendation.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:06 AM

Thanks for the advice guys

The only problem with AE is that they don't mention the XF in their OE enhanced list even though they mention the 09 models.

Last edited by peniole; 11-29-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:23 PM

Confirmed from AE. 09 XF is included in the OE enhanced interface for jaguar.

Hey Matt I noticed in another thread that you have an AE scan tool. Did you also get the OE enhanced inteface (quite pricey above the actual tool price)? What useful additional info did you get from the enhanced interface?