General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Default oil cooler

Hi again to all on the forum, as some of you have read some of my posts about the trouble I had getting my car from the IRS and my trip across the great US via route 66 I thought I would add my problem with oil in the coolant. Two reasons to leave my newly purchased XK at the dealer I bought it from in Pheonix Az, 1: I wanted to drive it across the US in nice weather (not January) 2: The car had oil in the coolant. As a long time tech my mind went straight to a head gasket problem, so as part of the deal they would install a lower milage engine with a warranty which I was happy with. However after arriving to pick up my car and finding it impounded my mind was't on an engine it was only later after I got it back did I see I had the same problem. After going to a local repair shop,raising the car on a hoist, seeing the newly replaced engine did I believe it was really replaced like the dealer told me. Since oil in coolant and no coolant in the oil meant it was a oil pressure over coolant pressure ( oil pressure is somewhere in the 50 psi range while coolant is only about 15 psi) I thought the only thing the two engines had in common was the oil cooler. $800 bucks and several coolant flushes later and a bypassed oil cooler I was on the road again! After getting home I was concerned my temporary fix would fail so I went to the local junk yard and found a 4.6 Ford in an mid 90's pick up with a short oil filter threaded bolt then removed my busted oil cooler and installed a new filter. Since none where in stock in Pheonix and wouldn't be for a week I made this high pressure hose fix that got me home.As our climate is not near what it is in Arizona I may leave it this way.Pics should give you an idea of what I've been talking about.

Take care all and remember oil in coolant isn't all bad or expensive. Randy

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (06-27-2014)