General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Opinions Please....

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Opinions Please....

OK, I know they are like noses, everyone has one..
Here's my situation:
First off, I am new to the world of Jags (British cars, etc) but have suddenly felt very comfortable within this world. I am NOT new to vehicle mechanics, fab work, etc. I am switching from extreme 4x4 (the stuff you see on Discovery) back to my overall love of things automotive and have focused on classic British and vintage racing, topics I've been eying for a while now and have had a keen interest in (but not any involvement in) since I was much younger. I have had some experience with Land Rovers, both driving and working on them.

I was given a 77 XJ6L. Only 52,000 miles. However, it sat for about 12 years and was last started about 5 years ago. It still turns fairly easily (haven't yet attempted to fire it, was waiting to get keys from the old gent who gave it to me.. still have not rec'd them and I get that feeling I won't.. hence the thread asking about getting past the steering lock, etc).
Of course, it has rust. Literally NO floor boards left, from toe board all the way back to under the rear seat. Both lower rear wings (the section under the bumper, not the front sections); right front wing; all sills, L&R, inner/outer; front and rear valances. Back seat will need rebuild/reupholster, headlight sockets have minor rust. Jacking points are on their way out. One rear radius arm mount is showing signs of giving way as well. HOWEVER... EVERY part that is rusted is available for purchase new through several sources and would total just about a grand. The interior will need new carpets, headliner, dash pad/cover, the clear coat reapplied to wood dash (wood is in great shape though) and the rear seat as listed.
After that, its mostly just cosmetic stuff. It rolls very easily, even the grease is still in good shape at all points that I have seen so far.

Part 2:
I can pick up an 87 XJ6 with minimal rust, sun roof, absolutely beautiful interior. The only rust is on the valances. The bonnet is dented, but the hood on the 77 is in pretty darn good shape. I see that Series 1,2,3 have the same part number for their bonnets.
No motor. $300-400.

The only opinion I have so far is that the Series 2 is pretty worthless. In great (near concourse) shape maybe worth 5-6 thousand. The 87, on the other hand, is the last of the Series cars and is currently and will continue to be a much better value than the 77.
My original thought was to simply pull the dual carbed lump from the Series 2 and install in the Series 3. I have the abilities and the facilities to do so with relative ease.
I have been told by the same person that doing that is ludicrous. I should just toss (or possibly part) the 77 and find an 87 motor for the 87 or do the bowtie swap (I do not want to mar the Jag brand with a Chevy lump).

What I want:
A project that I can enjoy and turn into a nice driver that I can take to various Jag and British car events. I really love the lines of the earlier XJs. The square headlight versions simply loose it all in my opinion. A vehicle that I may actually be able to sell at some point and put some $$ in my pocket. Not investment level money, but even a grand over initial project outlay would make me smile. I end up attached to my cars usually though, so that might not happen. (I currently own three Toyotas. An 05 Yamaha sourced Corolla XRS, 200HP, 9K rpm redline, 6 spd, TRD suspension.. all from the factory. An 87 4Runner with 350,000 miles on her and a 98 Land Cruiser with 260,000 miles.)

With all that, let me hear it. Am I a glutton for punishment? Am I simply stupid or crazy?
Take the interior from the 87 and swap into 77 after all welding etc is done.. or simply swap the 77 lump into the 87.. or part out the 77/junk it and find an 87 engine to drop into the Series 3...?

Although it was the fact that I was given the XJ6L that brought me into the Jag world, I feel a distinct desire to stay with the Jaguar marque even if I end up actually doing nothing with the original car that brought me here.

Thank you all very much in advance for any and all flogging...

Talk soon,

Old 02-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi David,

I hope you have a large garage.. Based on the info in your post I would go with the 87 as the project base because I've heard that bodywork and interior work is more expensive than engine work, but some of the technical experts can provide a better answer. I would think the 77 engine could go in fairly easily but doing the electronics stuff might be tricky. You should check with the CT DMV as to what the emissions and safety regulations are so once you go get this project running you can register it.

You may want to get a Hemmings book and do some research for Jag parts and conversion kits. I take it you are either single or have a VERY understanding wife. Also, pick up some copies of Jaguar World for some POCs in the UK for some outfits that update older Jaguars to modern specs. They may be of some use. Apparently, updated MK II and the Series III XJ6 packages are quite popular over there.

Another thought, and this is really crazy, but what about finding a 4.0 or 4.2 Jag V8 and dropping that one in?

Good luck,

Mike

Old 02-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I share a 2000 sq ft garage with a friend. Space, although a bit tight with what we already have in there, shouldn't be too much of an issue.
My girlfriend currently lives in Vegas while I hold down the fort out here. She is understanding and loves the automotive/classic car lifestyle.. Heck, she even loves the 4x4 world.
I totally forgot about the emissions crap I'd have to deal with here in CT... going with an earlier less emissions engine into a newer model.
That does make the lean towards the 87 idea easier already.
I can get an 87 or newer motor pretty easily it would seem. The person/place who has the 87 said they may have a few kicking around. The 87 is also fuel injected as opposed to carbed, correct?

So, is there much of a market for used Series 2 XJ6 parts.??

Thanx!

Talk soon,

Old 02-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

My opinion is that the series II is the best looking design of the vintage XJs. However in your case it just does not seem cost/labor effective to repair the car you have. If you want to be ahead of the 8 ball that is.