General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Passenger front Window Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2024, 07:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Passenger front Window Issue

Hello everyone, So i have a 2012 jaguar xf saloon and my passenger front window dosen't move at all even if i press the switch from both doors. When i press the buttons i hear a clicking coming from the module. The first thing i did was replace the motor but still get the clicking from the module so next i replaced the module and still get the same response, clicking from the new module and no action from the new motor. Do anyone have the slightest clue what it could be.

Old 06-09-2024, 08:24 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

Evan, I would start with trying to move the motor without it being attached to the window mechanism. Verify that you have a motor that can move. If the motor does not move, then odds are your problem is a window switch or potentially a relay. If the motor turns (should kick a little when it starts), then you know your problem is your window mechanism and you will then need to look for a problem in the tracks to see what is causing it to bind up.

Old 06-09-2024, 08:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yes i replaced the motor only, i didn't attach it to the regulator. I plugged it in to see if the motor will activate when pressing both door switches but nothing, just clicking from the module.

Old 06-10-2024, 04:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

evan, if you can get me a wiring diagram for your year car, then I can give a more precise answer. But, using an XJ wiring diagram and assuming that things are going to be close, it is looking like your most likely issue is going to be either a wiring problem between the fuse box and the door module or between the module and the motor itself. Between the module and motor is going to be the more likely situation and for that, i would say to connect a multimeter between the 2 wires going to the motor (the others are for a hall effect sensor that measures how far the window has travelled). When you hit up or down, you should get atleast a short burst of power and you are looking for either +13 VDC (assuming the motor is running) or -13 VDC. If you then measure the power input to the module and see if it drops as you try to move the window, you should see it drop from 13.7 VDC to say 13.0 VDC. If you see it drop to say 8 VDC (potentially lower), then we know the wiring problem is between the fuse box and the module. But, if you are getting 13.0+ at all times at the input to the door module, but you see a much lower voltage at the motor, then we know the wiring to the motor is bad.