General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power seat wiring to make it work Outside the car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2017-20 F Pace Jag power seat, How to work outside the car

Attn: THERMO, I have 2017-20 Jag F-Pace power seats I am mounting in a 1989 GMC Vandurra Van. Would you are anyone out there have info on which pins to power up to make them work in the Van? Thanks, corsairmike

Old 04-07-2023, 10:23 AM

Hi Thermo, I read more of your post and I think I got the answer. Middle plug I have 3 black wires, two large one small, all negatives I presume. On the power side I have (1) yellow w/ orange stripe, (1) biggest wire is yellow w/ red stripe, and (1) purple w/ red strip, So I'll put positive battery to those and Negative to the blacks.Please correct me if I'm Wrong. Thanks again, Mike

Old 04-07-2023, 11:42 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

CiorsairMike, sounds like you have the correct wires. The only thing I would caution you on is to wire the yellow w/ orange stripe to a switchable power source (ie, one that is on when the vehicle is on, but off when the vehicle is off). This is a safety aspect built into the seat to limit the number of functions that are available while the car is parked. There is a certain wiring standard out there for what colors you use where and if you follow that, the one power wire is wired a bit differently than the other 2

Old 04-09-2023, 09:30 AM

Thanks Thermo, You're a confidence builder!

Old 04-15-2023, 10:51 AM

Hi Thermo, It's me again with the 2020 F-Pace Jaguar seats. I wired them as you said. Passenger seat works perfect with the two power +wires and two -grounds to a constant 12v supply, But I cannot get the drivers side to work. I have the yellow red stripe and the purple red stripe wired to a constant voltage supply. The yellow orange strip wired to ignition on supply. No Life. There is a small plug with two small wires, pink and orange. They look like control wires. I can't

find a receiver plug for it. I'll send pics. What are your thoughts? It still looks like a brand new seat so I don't believe the seat is bad. Your thoughts Please, Standn By, Mike

Old 04-15-2023, 07:29 PM
Veteran member

Take a look at this page I found:

F-Pace electric seats - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

It would appear that there should be 4 ground wires, not 2. That may be what is holding you up.

Old 04-15-2023, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Take a look at this page I found:

F-Pace electric seats - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

It would appear that there should be 4 ground wires, not 2. That may be what is holding you up.
Thanks Thermo, On the drivers side the main receiver plug had three black ground wires and a yellow w/red stripe (biggest wire), yellow w/orange strip and purple w/red stripe. I followed your instruction and wired the yellow w/orange stripe to a key ON source. I only had three black wires in that plug but tomorrow I will look closer for a fourth black wire. Passenger side had only two black wires and two power wires. Passenger side works great! Thanks again and I will let you know how it turns out tomorrow. Mike

Old 04-16-2023, 07:41 AM
Veteran member

The only other thing that I could possibly say is to get a 1 day subscription to Topix and find the diagram for the F-Pace seats that you have. That will tell you definitively what wires you need to connect to power. You should be able to make a copy of the diagrams and if you post them here, I can then look at them and give some help too.

Old 04-17-2023, 07:41 AM

The only other thing that I could possibly say is to get a 1 day subscription to Topix and find the diagram for the F-Pace seats that you have. That will tell you definitively what wires you need to connect to power. You should be able to make a copy of the diagrams and if you post them here, I can then look at them and give some help too.
Thanks Thermo, I'm working on the subscription. We had technical difficulties with the site. I have sent them an email and they are aware of the problem. I will get that wiring diagram and get back to you A.S.A.P.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:42 AM

Thermo, Here it is. I keep looking for some safety feature or something that keeps the seat from working. The yellow/orange and yellow/violet caught my attention and it is the only pair shown crossed over each other. They are real small wires that go to a different plug that connects to the vehicles wiring harness. As i said before my three main power input wires were yellow/red, yellow/orange and violet/red with three black wires made in to a female plug to receive the vehicles wiring harness. These are the only ones I have connected 12v to. Thanks for you help, Mike

Old 04-18-2023, 04:18 PM
Veteran member

Mike, first things first. Lets get the yellow/orange wire out of the positive wires. You should only have the violet/red and yellow/red connected to the positve side of your power source. As for your ground, most likely you found 3 black wire side by side on the one plug. Yes, all of those wires need to be tied together. BUt, there should be another black wire (Power GND 2 on the drawing) that you need to find. If the engineers followed some logic, you should have 4 plugs side by side on the seat and the 3 black wires are at 1 end of that line. The last black wire should be the middle plug nearest where you have the 3 current ground wires. Once you get those 4 wires tied together, the seat should come alive. If my assumption is wrong and you have found this wire on the middle plug and only found 2 wires on the one plug, then you need to look at the plug and find pins 4, 5, and 6. All 3 of those need to be tied to ground.

The yellow/violet and yellow/orange wires are for the CAN Bus. this allows for the radio to turn on the heated seats or the switch pack to set the memory for the seat.

This should get you up and running.

Old 04-18-2023, 04:33 PM

Mike, first things first. Lets get the yellow/orange wire out of the positive wires. You should only have the violet/red and yellow/red connected to the positve side of your power source. As for your ground, most likely you found 3 black wire side by side on the one plug. Yes, all of those wires need to be tied together. BUt, there should be another black wire (Power GND 2 on the drawing) that you need to find. If the engineers followed some logic, you should have 4 plugs side by side on the seat and the 3 black wires are at 1 end of that line. The last black wire should be the middle plug nearest where you have the 3 current ground wires. Once you get those 4 wires tied together, the seat should come alive. If my assumption is wrong and you have found this wire on the middle plug and only found 2 wires on the one plug, then you need to look at the plug and find pins 4, 5, and 6. All 3 of those need to be tied to ground.

The yellow/violet and yellow/orange wires are for the CAN Bus. this allows for the radio to turn on the heated seats or the switch pack to set the memory for the seat.

This should get you up and running.
Thanks Thermo, I've found that little 4th black Gnd 2. It was in the plug next to the plug that has the three main Gnd' wires towards the center of the seat. Im on it. Let you know, MIke

Old 04-18-2023, 05:12 PM

Three 14ga. Black grounds tied together with a small gauge Black Gnd 2 then to a vehicle ground. A constant ON wire tied to the +yellow/red, +violet/red. I was incredibly dissapointed, still no life! What are your thoughts? Thanks, Mike

Old 04-20-2023, 02:46 PM
Veteran member

Mike, at this point, the only thing I can think of is that the switch pack on the side of the seat has a power and/or ground wire that it needs. This is where I would be looking for a black wire or a wire with a red stripe there. After that, I am at a loss.

Old 04-20-2023, 04:16 PM

Mike, at this point, the only thing I can think of is that the switch pack on the side of the seat has a power and/or ground wire that it needs. This is where I would be looking for a black wire or a wire with a red stripe there. After that, I am at a loss.
Thanks Thermo for all your patience and help. I talked to the salvage yard today and they said he would work on getting me another base track, motors etc and i can bolt the matching LHD seat to it. Thanks for everything , Ill be back and let you know. MIKE

Old 04-21-2023, 03:24 AM

Hi Thermo, Okay At the back of the switchpack are three wires, Black, Gr w/ orange stripe and white. Black test good to ground. The other two are dead, no 12v. I ran them back and they plug into the circuit board. Any thoughts? Mucho Thanks Again

Old 04-21-2023, 06:58 AM

Good morning Thermo, The Gr/orange wire I speak of you can see in the seat bottom picture. It is the female plug to the right still attached to the seat. It has five wires to it on the left side of the plug. it is the first one from left. The vehicle harness plug male plugs into it and on the wiring diagram It is labeled Logic Feed. Whaddya Think?

Old 04-21-2023, 03:08 PM
Veteran member

Mike, it is sounding like a winner. That would be the most logical wire to choose.

Old 04-21-2023, 07:06 PM

Well I wired it( Gr/Og) to the 12v supply and checked to see if it was hot at the control switchpack. No go! which to me indicates it not passing thru the Module circuit board. Oh Well, I get (hopefully) another one come Monday. Thanks Thermo, Ill let you know how it turns out. I do not take defeat well.....

Old 04-22-2023, 06:59 AM
Veteran member

Mike, we can always bypass all the modules and simply hardwire the seat. That is always an option. The matter is just coming up wtih a wiring diagram for you to follow. Sometimes old school is the easiest way.

Quick Reply: Power seat wiring to make it work Outside the car?