General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power seat wiring to make it work Outside the car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2024, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Simon, I am trying ot figure out what you are trying to get at. You show the wiring list that I gave someone else to power their seats. If you use that, then that should power up the seat. As for the SD27/SD3/SD4, those are the names of the connectors on the underside of the seat. If you look near the pins, you should see little numbers stamped in the plastic. Find 1 and count around till you get to the dash number. IE, SD3-5 should have a black wire in the Pin 5 location. If you don't have that, then you have in your hands one of the other plugs. So, count around and see if you have a black wire at the Pin #1 location or a black/pink wire at the Pin #26 location. Then you will know if you have SD27 or SD4. The plugs are not labeled with the SD number on them.
thank you so much I will have a look over the weekend.

Old 05-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Default Wiring on XF seats for office chairs

Hi everyone,
I am trying to adapt a set of XF seats to make office chairs, but I’m having a bit of trouble with the wiring on the driver seat.
They were removed from a 2009 XF, but they seem to be XK seats. In the picture there is the part number for the module.

I have joined the three black wires and the three red-striped (blue-red/white-red/green-red) wires from connector A. In addition i also grounded the other thin black wire, which enables the lumbar support.

This worked for the passenger seat, but not for the driver seat, which has the module. The lumbar support adjustment works, which leads me to believe that the module is not dead, but nothing else is moving.

Would anyone have an idea of what could be the issue? Is the wiring on the driver seat different from the passenger side?

Thanks in advance!
Renan

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Old 05-26-2024, 04:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Renan, I would look at the switch pack. You should see a white-red wire and a black wire coming from there. Are these 2 wires attached appropriately? Without those, the switch pack does not have power and does not send a signal to the modules to make the seat move.

Old 05-26-2024, 05:08 PM

Renan, I would look at the switch pack. You should see a white-red wire and a black wire coming from there. Are these 2 wires attached appropriately? Without those, the switch pack does not have power and does not send a signal to the modules to make the seat move.
Hi Thermo,
Wow, nailed it!
I have been trying to figure this out for hours. The connector from the switch pack had a bad connection to the module.
Now I have movement, but it is on inch mode. It moves only for a second at a time.
Is there a way to overcome this and make it work continuously?

Thank you so much for helping me out, you’re a legend.

Old 05-27-2024, 04:41 AM
Default Maybe im being stupid ?

Simon, I am trying ot figure out what you are trying to get at. You show the wiring list that I gave someone else to power their seats. If you use that, then that should power up the seat. As for the SD27/SD3/SD4, those are the names of the connectors on the underside of the seat. If you look near the pins, you should see little numbers stamped in the plastic. Find 1 and count around till you get to the dash number. IE, SD3-5 should have a black wire in the Pin 5 location. If you don't have that, then you have in your hands one of the other plugs. So, count around and see if you have a black wire at the Pin #1 location or a black/pink wire at the Pin #26 location. Then you will know if you have SD27 or SD4. The plugs are not labeled with the SD number on them.
Still cant find information on seats you also said about wiring diagram you sent to other person please are you able to send it to me? Thanks

Old 05-27-2024, 07:46 AM
Veteran member

SimonR, send an email to "thermomonkey@yahoo.com" and give it a title saying something about Jaguar. I will then send you the diagram that I have. Hopefully that will help you with the tidbit of information you need.

Old 05-27-2024, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

Renan, unfortunately, my understanding is that for it to get out of inch mode, it needs to see other modules. So, this would be connecting the seat to a body control module and whatnot. More work than is probably desired. I would do some looking around the site and do a search on "seat inch mode" and maybe someone will have posted the answer that will work for you.

Old 05-30-2024, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,354 Likes on 1,854 Posts

Correct. If the seat is in "inch" mode that's a failure mode as Thermo posted above. These are all networked devices and you can't just run power and ground and expect them to work as in the car? So no you can't get it out of inch mode without some more work.

People have tried to "hack" the PWM that controls the movement but so far I have not seen a good solution yet.
Post back if you can get it working as we have had several others trying to do the same thing as you.

One suggestion that was not followed up on was to bypass all the factory stuff and go directly to the motors individually and power them directly. Again an idea but we never heard back?

Old 05-30-2024, 03:38 PM

Thanks Guys! That's what I thought, but I'm ok with the inch mode. It's not something I'll adjust frequently, so I'll keep clicking until the position is right.

I also removed the side airbags so it doesnt pop while someone is sitting or standing near it. It was quite easy, just a little tight to get the wrench/socket in.
I made sure the seat was not powered for at least a few hours and removed the hinge covers at the base (one had 3 screws and the other was just cliped in) because the back cover is attached behind the hinge cover. Once both sides were loose, it just slides down and it comes off.
The leather is held in place by one clip that pops off and two long hooks that slide over the plastic frame. Just unhooked those and got access to the airbag.
Before removing it, I detached the connector at the bottom of the airbag (just pinched from the sides and it comes right off). From the inside of the seat, there were two 10mm hex nut holding the air bag assembly. The assembly is a closed plastic box, but it is placed inside a bag that is attached to the seat. I just jiggled its way out.
Without the airbags there was a big empty space making the side bolsters saggy, so I filled with some tiny cushions I had laying around and put the seat back together.
Now the seats are safe to use. Just need to cover the wooden base.

the two bolds holding the airbag assembly to the seat

seat came from a 2009 XF, but the model says it comes from an XK (X150 10-way)

clips holding the back cover at the hinge (it's just placed around the bolt, so no need to remove the bolt)

seat without the back cover

back cover

airbag space filled with cushions

airbag assembly

Old 06-06-2024, 12:28 PM
Default Still struggling 😪

Originally Posted by SimonR
thank you so much I will have a look over the weekend.
I have a picture of the underside of the seat could you if poss take a look to see if you can help.