Recommendations for air,oil,plugs for

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for air,oil,plugs for

a 2007 S-Type 3.0....

Old 05-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Received 2,265 Likes on 1,845 Posts

I recommend all of those- engines run much better with them.

Stock plugs- if you've reached the mileage where a change is recommended
Oil viscosity and type as per owners manual
Stock filter or name brand aftermarket equivalent. No K&N.

Easy-peasy.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,920 Likes on 3,220 Posts

Stick with name brands and you will be fine. Some will say to go with a K&N air filter for the better performance, but as I have found out, if you do get any increase, it is so small, you won't notice it. I like the K&N simply because I can use the same filter over and over and have a clean filter as often as I like for just a little bit of my time. As for oil, that is like asking what your favorite color is. Everyone has an opinion. If you have been using a brand name before this, stick with it. If you look on the internet, you will find lots of conflicting information all from reputable sources. Personally, the gains from any full synthetic are so minute that for the cost, not worth it in the long run. I tried full synthetic in my car and didn't see a change in how the motor ran or in the mileage. Others think it is the best stuff out there and say they see changes. Your call.

When it comes to plugs, follow the KISS principle. Plugs like the Bosch +4's or the Splitfires (or any other "multiple spark" spark plug) don't do anything for our cars except make your wallet lighter. Go with a good quality (name brand) plug that is called a "double platinum" plug and you will be good for 100000 miles between plug changes.

I don't want to sound wishy washy, but a lot of this stuff is personal preference stuff. About the only thing that I can say is not to buy the "Jaguar" fluids. From our research, they are not anything more special than what you can buy over the counter that meets the same requirements (which most of the stuff does). The big difference is how much you pay for it. Again, the only "benefit" is the lightness of your wallet with going with the dealership fluids. With that being said, some dealerships do offer competitive prices with this stuff, so, don't completely rule out the dealership. A pricing review should be done at a minimum.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I have used Mobil 1 in all my gas engines and Amsoil in my diesels and haven't had problems with either when it comes to oil. Its not like I haven't done a search on these subjects,I have. The biggest I've found so far is air filters.I used K&N on my diesel and other vehicles and have found opinions for and against on this forum. Thats what I'm looking for plus what they use on their Jags.