General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ripped off by Safelite?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Ripped off by Safelite?

So I just got back from Safelite for the 2nd time, and I'm feeling like I probably got totally ripped off.

2001 XKR Convertible
1) Got a quote for $335 to do the windshield and wipers without rain sensor or heated and brought my car in.
2) I was informed I had a heated with rain sensor, I just didn't know what to look for until then. I had them go ahead an order the correct windshield which was only about $80 more. No biggie.
3) A week later, my heated with rain sensor windshield came in, I rolled over to Safelite and had it installed while I worked from Caribou Coffee.
I was told about a little rust around the edge and the fact the wiper line had been previously patched, but no big deal. I don't recall anything about the heated windshield being mentioned.
4) I noticed right as I got into the sun that there was a significant distortion right in front of my field of view so I called them and took it right back after checking in to my work email from home.
5) The checked it out and ordered me up a new windshield.
6) Yesterday (12 days after the issue), I harass them about where my new windshield was, and they told me they'd have it later that day, and I set up an appointment for today.
7) Brought it back in, and dropped it off to have the new windshield installed while I worked from Caribou again.
Got a call about an hour later saying there was a delay, the guy had to run out to the field for a moment. No problem. 3hrs after I dropped the car off, I walked over to Safelite to pick up my car.
8) The rear view mirror fell off immediately as I tried to adjust it. Apparently the clip just wasn't snapped in properly. I had them clip it back on as I didn't want to damage anything, including the windshield seal and have them say it was my fault.
9) I notice quickly that it doesn't look like there is a heated element in the windshield, but thought it might just be my eyes playing tricks on me inside the garage. When I pulled out, I KNEW there was no element.
10) I confronted them and the installer said the previous installer noted the old windshield may have been heated, but the connectors had been previously cut so the heated windshield wasn't doing anything so they ordered me a non-heated... Oh, and he "meant to ask" the front desk billing employee about that, and asked if this was through insurance. No, it's not through insurance, pal. I paid out of pocket. I don't want to stick an insurance company with extra cost for that matter...

Anyway, I had them credit me for the old windshield, and re-invoice the new one since they couldn't apply the discount directly to the existing invoice which saved me $90. That said, I feel like they probably screwed up, ordered the wrong windshield (or the wrong one came in or they forgot to order anything but had this one in stock) and didn't notice until they were half way through the installation. They called me to tell me about a made up delay, frantically checked the area for the correct windshield, but just wound up cutting the wires and hoping I wouldn't notice.

Are there known problems with the wiring for the winshields in these cars? Why would somebody have cut the wiring yet installed a heated windshield previously? Where would the wires be to connect to a proper heated windshield (I would like to check them for corrosion to see how recently they had been cut).

What do you guys think? To be honest, I think I was ridiculously understanding of the delays, and the faulty windshield, but not mentioning a $90 overcharge or the fact they installed a different windshield than the one that came out has me pissed.

Last edited by EvilKell; 06-05-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Safelite did my windshield on my S-Type. Other than being a little over zealous on the sealant everything went swimmingly. Sorry for your bad luck