General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

safe to drive with "tube" in tire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts
Default safe to drive with "tube" in tire?

last week my fiance drove over a curb with my G37 and punctured 2 tires. Each tire has a small rip along the lip of the tire (where the tire meets the rim)

i took it to a tireshop today and they said they cant repair it, but if they put a tube in it, it will be good as new and driveable.

Now considering this is only my winter set and I was planning on selling the wheels in 2 months, i decided to go with it but now im having some worries. is it safe to drive around like that?
will the rip get bigger?
will the tube be enough?

Old 01-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,874 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Not that mine is the final word but I'd be a bit worried as well. I just wouldn't be comfortable with any tire that is ripped, torn, gouged, or injured in any way.

Maybe if you're just using the car for local putt-putting about it might not be much of a risk. But highway speed driving would be out of the question.....in my opinion.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-12-2013, 05:55 PM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

+1

I'd also be seriously concerned at this fix. It is definitely NOT 'good as new'.

Holes through the tread are usually safely repairable by plugging but sidewall damage is effectively the end as the structural integrity of the tyre is compromised.

Damage to the bead is even worse and could potentially result in the tyre coming off the rim even at low speed.

Graham

Old 01-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Received 10,483 Likes on 6,922 Posts

+++++++ TOO MANY.

That tube will be "rubbing" on the inner casing of the tyre, and since the inner casing of "tubeless tyres" is NOT as smooth as the older "tubed tyres" there will be HUGE friction, and that tube will "blow out".

Add to that your insurance will LUV to talk to you IF something happened and a claim came across a desk.

I would cease driving, NOW, and fit new tyres, suck it up, SAFETY first.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member

crap, i should have did the research before i did the repair.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by carzaddict
crap, i should have did the research before i did the repair.
The biggest problem with using inner tubes is a sudden loss of tire pressure if punctured. If the nail goes into the tubeless time, the loss of tire pressure is gradual. On the inner tube its practically instant. This can result in a sudden loss of control. It will be very unpleasant even if its just a blow out without further consequences.

Forget about saving few bucks now and thing about saving large bucks later. Do yourself and your better half a favor and get new tires, like yesterday.

BTW, for future reference - if the tire has a sidewall puncture ANYWHERE, it cannot be fixed. Even if the damage is on the shoulder of the tread.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

We all agree. You need to change them as they are in a dangerous condition. I can't understand how any tyre shop could have given you this repair advice. Sidewall damage is terminal.

One of the other things is the damage that you can't see, even a low speed curbing can cause excessive stress to the side wall causing internal ruptures that over time can allow the tyre to let fly, usually at high speed.

It's not fun.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

thanks guys. im so furious that i asked 1000000 times if this was safe and they kept telling me "yeah yeah its fine"

im going to switch back to my summer tires.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I sincerely question the qualifications of the shop you went to, I'm no tire expert but that seems like a ridiculous idea.

I agree with the other guys, no amount of money is worth your life.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carzaddict
thanks guys. im so furious that i asked 1000000 times if this was safe and they kept telling me "yeah yeah its fine"

Let's be clear here. While we all agree it's a bad idea, and there's a real possibility of failure, and we'd be uncomfortable with such a repair, there's no absolute prediction that the repair WILL fail.

There's also a possibility it WON'T fail.

The key word here is "possibilty"..." At what point possibilities turn into probabilities, and what the results when they do? Ahhhhh....so many rubs.

I'll wager the shop has done this sort of thing before and nothing horrible has happened (that they know of) so they shrug off the potential risk. Not wise.

They may have thought they were doing you a a favor.....fixing your tire rather than selling a new one. That makes them heroic in the eyes of some consumers :-)

And, quite often we get angry when a repair shop says something is "unsafe". The automatic assumption is the shop is using scare tactics to bolster sales. Or....the repair shop is simply being cowardly: "They're just afraid of getting sued so they insist on selling me a new tire rather than fixing the old one. That's what's wrong with our world today. Damn lawyers!".

Anyhow, sidewall damage DOES condemn a tire by any professional standards, and for good reason. What the shop SHOULD have done is explain this to you so you could make a more informed decision. Whether they were being nice guys or idiots for what they did is for you to decide.

I am 100% certain, though, that their lawyer would tell them they are flat-out idiots.

Bottom line, even after all this blathering? It was a BAD idea. I'm right back where we started ! Talked myself right into a circle. Not the first time that's happened :-)

Just took the last sip of coffee from my cup.....so my "ramble" switch is now turned off.

Have a nice morning everyone !

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
carzaddict (01-14-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Received 10,483 Likes on 6,922 Posts

Morning Doug,

That is the BEST scribe you have penned for a while and I reckon it deserves a "sticky".

Just finished 3 coffees and since its only 20 minutes till midday, something stronger may be required.

A Peugeot 504 Diesel just arrived for "tidy up", HAHAHAHA.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Grant.

You know me. Sometimes I fall in love with the sound of my own voice :-). That's what my kids say, at least :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 01-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

i completely understand what you're saying doug, same rationalization kept running through my head...hence the reason i kept asking them if it was safe.

never the less ive switched back to my summer set. now i just wanna sell these buggers