General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

SDD configure existing modules, now car bricked and won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SDD configure existing modules, now car bricked and won’t start

Can anyone help guys?

I have a 2011 XJ 3.0 diesel premium luxury, and previously used SDD with my old x358 and no issues.

im using v160 with patch and mongoose pro.

Whilst using SDD I decided to reconfigure my Instrument cluster (IPC and update the software).

The laptop froze and my car now won’t start, the instrument dials don’t light up, the car won’t lock/unlock and when I plug it into SDD it says that the BCM and PCM have lost the VIN from the car config file.

I’ve tried to configure the modules as new but it always fails and says failed to write target security identifier.

If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Old 12-24-2023, 03:26 AM
Default Any update?

I just did the same thing! Please tell me you found a solution?

Old 12-24-2023, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Please do more reading on our huge SDD threads? I know we have pages and pages but every little bit helps.
Was the laptop plugged in or on battery? What are you using for a DC power supply? NOT a battery charger I hope!!!

It also helps to post where your at as we are only guessing on the internet?

I did post recently that Jaguar released a document that "might" fix these type of problems?
This is one of the huge threads I talk about and there is a lot to sift thru.

SDD Naked Truth
My post was at the very end of that long thread. I did have someone contact me to say that you can do what I posted as a way to get around SDD's refusal to work with used modules. But as always this is SDD and I can't predict if it will work for you?

One more request?
Can you report back what you did and if it worked or not? As SDD was never released to the public we are all in the dark about fixing problems. We rely on each other and all that knowledge is widely dispersed around the world. I hope some of our more expert SDD guys will post too?

Old 12-24-2023, 05:26 PM

Thanks replying. I’ll have a read through your tread. Thanks.

My laptop was plugged in. My situation is slightly different in that, my laptop didn’t crash.

i recently purchased my RR sport SC as a non runner, suspected key immob issues. After scanning I found communication issues with the cluster so I ran the add new cluster module in SDD.

SDD first asks the user whether I am using the same cluster. I indicated yes. It then runs a bunch of processes and downloads a bunch of files. It almost finishes when it fails to communicate with a bunch of other modules. The entire process then fails. Now the cluster is bricked, now when turning the key, the only light showing is an airbag light on position 2 of the key.

I’ve now come to learn that the instrument clusters themselves often fail and can cause the immob issue the car was having. I suspect it the cluster needs to be repaired or replaced. Perhaps this is why SDD fails when trying to process my request to add/update the cluster and its software.

Old 12-25-2023, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member

Boy not much of an answer with that communications error?
Please contact dealer technical support? Something tells me Jaguar won't be of much help?

If you find someone who can repair the instrument cluster that would be great! But I am afraid that is asking too much.
Will be watching to hopefully see your solution.

Old 12-25-2023, 04:50 PM
Received 596 Likes on 305 Posts

Giggity, Help me understand. Have you tried the process that club mentions in his post? last page, see upload below.

Do what you read below. Then let us know what happens. Thanks

Last edited by panthera999; 12-25-2023 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-26-2023, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member

Yes I am still looking for others that have done this? If it works this technique will be very powerful in reusing modules and forcing dead or miss programmed modules back to life.
I did get one message back and he said that it did work for him but that was a sample size of 1!

Let us know how you got it fixed if possible?

Old 12-26-2023, 08:59 AM
Received 8,104 Likes on 4,889 Posts

No idea if an early TECH GUIDE has any relevant info.
This from 2005

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
33tl-04-2005_32bitRecovery.pdf (192.4 KB, 102 views)
The following users liked this post:
Bill400 (12-31-2023)
Old 12-26-2023, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Motorcarman thanks for that document!

I was very interested in this because it mentions another "Hack"! They now say you can input a wrong VIN and force the system to program an ECM that normally would not be possible. I recently posted the trick of disconnecting a module before reading it and then plugging it back in "just" before WDS/SDD attempted to program it. Again to "fool" the system into performing things it normally won't do.

Old 12-31-2023, 02:01 PM
Received 298 Likes on 171 Posts

Were you on-line? Connected to JLR?

Was a partial read/download of the vehicle data files?
When you tried to program the vehicle, there was an interruption, or you loaded corrupt data/zeros.

You CAN recover but it may not be quick and/or easy.
You need data files for your vehicle.
The simplest way is to buy a day of access to TOPIX and do a proper download of V164 and your vehicle "As-Built" files.
Consider starting over on a fresh computer or reload of windows because SDD stores files that are extremely difficult to remove from windows.
Those files will likely interfere with a legit copy of SDD V164, but you can try just deleting the cracked program.
You will likely have to reprogram the ICM. Start with the RSJB because that was likely the active source.

So, did you have any interaction with JLR/Topix with your computer?
If so, JLR may be taking measures to defeat hacking.

Alternative is to use V150 or before with VDF totally offline.

Let us know how you do.

Old 01-02-2024, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bill400
Were you on-line? Connected to JLR?

Was a partial read/download of the vehicle data files?
When you tried to program the vehicle, there was an interruption, or you loaded corrupt data/zeros.

You CAN recover but it may not be quick and/or easy.
You need data files for your vehicle.
The simplest way is to buy a day of access to TOPIX and do a proper download of V164 and your vehicle "As-Built" files.
Consider starting over on a fresh computer or reload of windows because SDD stores files that are extremely difficult to remove from windows.
Those files will likely interfere with a legit copy of SDD V164, but you can try just deleting the cracked program.
You will likely have to reprogram the ICM. Start with the RSJB because that was likely the active source.

So, did you have any interaction with JLR/Topix with your computer?
If so, JLR may be taking measures to defeat hacking.

Alternative is to use V150 or before with VDF totally offline.

Let us know how you do.

Thanks for everyone who has contributed. You guys are a great community to be apart of.

I think you’re on to the issue here. I tried to register with topix but I hit a roadblock. I hoped that registering was a simple process with a fee but I need to submit forms including evidence of a training course.

I’m confident that if I had the as built data file, I’d have success but without it, I’m about to pull the pin on the situation and give up.

I seem to have made matters worse, mutiple modules have now lost communication and I can only log into JLR SDD by manually entering the vin.

Old 01-02-2024, 12:39 AM

My current situation 😵‍💫

Old 01-02-2024, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member

Very sad to see those errors!
I am sorry but I have no suggestions at this point.

If you do find what files you are missing post back.
I have sent various SDD files to people if they are missing from their SDD setup.

I did find this about where the master CCF is stored.
Here is Jaguar's explanation;

The Car Configuration File is held in three locations on
the vehicle:
• Auxiliary Junction Box (AJB) or Rear Junction Box
(RJB), depending on model
• Central Junction Box (CJB)
• Engine Control Module (ECM)
The AJB and RJB are also referred to as ‘master modules’
because they hold master copies of the CCF. A
master CCF is an active copy of the current car configuration
with all of the personalization settings and
changes that have been made since factory programming
of the CCF (‘As-Built’ data).

This points to trying to get the master CCF from either of those junction boxes (AJB/RJB or the AJB).
Attached is the Jaguar document and I hope it does not confuse things further.

Note my access to Topix has been fouled up recently too? Got stuck in update password loop of some kind and can't get past it?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CCF Programming.pdf (46.3 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by clubairth1; 01-02-2024 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-02-2024, 10:31 AM
Default Been there, done that!

Originally Posted by Giggity
Thanks for everyone who has contributed. You guys are a great community to be apart of.

I seem to have made matters worse, mutiple modules have now lost communication and I can only log into JLR SDD by manually entering the vin.
Yes, you made matters worse.
It will take a bit of time to recover, but you can do it.

The default is to tow to your nearest JLR dealer or a competent (with SDD) indie shop.

I recommend that you use this as a learning experience.

To do so, you must work completely off-line.

Is your SDD V164 still functioning properly?

If not, and you were online, JLR may have shut you down.
Or, you may have simply loaded zeros into the RSJB. Or both.

Begin by making sure that SDD is fully functional.

You may have to start over with a new boot of windows.
This is very true if you were online.

There is more than one way to skin this cat, but I recommend a new install of windows and begin over.

There is likely still a copy of your CCF on one of the backup modules but getting there may be tricky.

So, explain exactly where you are and we will offer suggestions. This may take a lot of time.

Bill

Old 01-03-2024, 06:27 AM
Received 339 Likes on 190 Posts

This VIN mismatch only means there's no comms with major modules, which is clearly shown by a red crosses.
If you're pretty much sure that the CAN wiring, powers and grounds are fine - here's a lifehack:
-right before starting a programming of existing module latch and unlatch front door lock and turn on the hazard - this would wake the CAN buses up and help to establish a comms.

Bill400 (01-04-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 11:26 PM

Thank you all. I’ve grateful for the overwhelming response from so many people.

All modules are now responding. I still have an immobilised car but I put that down to the instrument cluster. But I’m back in action and couldn’t be more happy.

My issue turned out to be a low voltage car battery. After a final try yesterday with no success, I left the car key on position 2 and found it dead flat today. I changed the battery and the cluster immediately responded. I also installed SDD V150 and carried out all tests. Everything responded perfectly.

oddly, this all started from a non responding cluster. So it’s very weird that it’s now responding. I just wish that key would start it… oh well, it’s time to pull it out and have it repaired.

again, thanks everyone pray 🙏

Old 01-04-2024, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

To program using SDD you must have a hefty power supply as the Jaguar doc say.

Bill400 (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

Glad you made progress but do listen to what JagV8 posted. This is a critical part of successfully using SDD!

Old 01-05-2024, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

make a maintainer from a delta server power supply

Old 01-05-2024, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by xalty
make a maintainer from a delta server power supply
Please expand on your recommendation: provide a link, schematic or consider writing a guide.

best regards,
Bill

Quick Reply: SDD configure existing modules, now car bricked and won’t start