General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Searching for IDS/SSD info on early XK8

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 05:25 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Searching for IDS/SSD info on early XK8

Hi everyone. Is there a tech person on here or a thread concerning what I need to find for running the JLR IDS/SSD program for my 1997 XK8?
I have a couple of programs that I've collected but really, I need to know what would load and work and what laptop to find to run it on.

🔥 SDD JLR IDS V159.04 V 160.04 on usb Full Program For Land Rover Jaguar with Online updates.

Easy install just plug & play

1 CLICK INSTALL. This is one of them.I bought this a couple of days ago 16/3/23
--------------------
IDS v125.03 on a CD is another one that I bought some four years ago.
I've never had a successful install on a small Samsung laptop running windows 7. (Quite slow!) I have a "mongoose" cable.
I've heard the Panasonic tough book would possibly be the way to go but there are quite a few different models on the market running various opp systems and various amounts of ram and hard drive sizes.
Any info or help would be very welcome. S

Old 03-19-2023, 04:48 AM

Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction concerning the correct IDS software for an early XK8? I just need to know what version level and what to install it on.
Laptops running windows7 are getting a bit on the slow side now. I've read on here that the Panasonic Tough book is the way to go but what model would be suitable. No point in over-buying really. I have readers for my XF so I only need it for my 97 XK8. Thanks. S

Old 03-19-2023, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

SDD will drop back to the level of software needed for your car. Which is IDS.
Does your SDD properly read the VIN from your car or do you have to manually type it in?
Those are early cars so you won't have the all the stuff the later cars do.

Does your car have a problem now?
I don't use the tough book but that was what Jaguar used when they introduced this system to the dealers.

Old 03-19-2023, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the reply clubairth1.
Its a long story but I bought a JLR disc about four years ago (IDS v125.03) and I had a guy load it onto a small laptop running windows 7 but the laptop was giving some problems and I lost a bit of interest in actually doing something about it. I turned it on last week and it scrambled my router so nothing else in the house that uses wifi would go on the web until I re-booted the router. So, I'm starting again with this. I'm going to buy a tough book and load whatever windows system onto it that whatever version JLR software that will work for my 97 XK8. Nothing else will go on it. It will function only for my XK8.

I've searched on here for about a week and gleaned a lot of valuable info relating to the JLR software but most of it was posted quite sometime ago and takes a bit of finding! Things have changed a bit since I last did anything to do with JLR IDS. I see there is now software that will load onto many more windows versions and now, I've really got no clue as to where to find the best software package. I see also that there are places to just download this software for free and they give you a pretty comprehensive tutorial on how to load it but I don't know how reliable it is and, indeed, if I should deal with them at all.
The problem with my XK8 at the moment is an ABS one and the fact that when I turn the ignition on and start the engine, there is nothing working on the dash at all. I'm quite used to using vehicle code readers as I have three Jaguars and Mazda CX5 2.2d. Just need a bit of guidance to get the correct JLR stuff for this car.
Thanks. S

Old 03-19-2023, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

bootleg mongoose = problems

buy the real vci from jlr or keep struggling, or even better a gna600 and download 118.5 which still runs on win10 no problem. last 6 digit vin entry was dropped with 130, needs sdd webpage and full vin number to start tabman.

Last edited by xalty; 03-19-2023 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-19-2023, 12:26 PM

I can see I have a lot to learn about all this! Will the 118.5 run in 8 or 10? And where can I get it? I'm looking at a couple of tough books but most of which I see are running 10 but of course, they will be much quicker than an old laptop on 7.
I do know someone who has a rotunda VCM1 but that will depend on the price. The mongoose lead I have is a genuine one.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

Yes a number of ways to do it and we do have some giant threads on SDD if your interested?
It does not make much difference what laptop you use so I would not spend much just for the tough book. Yes lot's of details and remember this was never released to the public and is and was ONLY for Jaguar to use in the dealership. So zero help from Jaguar on any of this.

Here is a list of a quick search that should keep you busy for a while! I currently have almost 9 GB in my SDD folder. It's takes a massive amount of space.

SDD Threads on Forum

I still keep finding little bits of info here and there? On the laptop make sure to turn off ALL the crappy power saving junk that MS jams into these things. In particular turn off ALL the power saving things for the USB ports. Otherwise you will be cruising along with SDD and when it takes one of it's LONG siesta's deciding what to do the power saving function will kick in shutting down communications between the laptop and the car!

ALWAYS run the laptop hooked to AC power and ALWAYS have the car battery hooked to the proper type of power supply!
Here is a document on what power supply is needed and this is again another area where us shade tree guys fall apart? Many try to use battery chargers and claim since the car is at 13.5 VDC all is well. It's not! you MUST have a high power, low ripple regulated DC power supply. This is NOT what a battery charger is! Battery charger's don't care how clean the DC output is because they are merely charging batteries.

Now people have got by with a charger and I also started out that way. Then I started getting strange things happening that I could not explain? Not sure but I did finally buy a good DC power supply. So please do NOT try to do any programming without the proper power supply. Read codes only? Sure you should be fine.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 03-20-2023, 09:22 AM
Received 8,104 Likes on 4,889 Posts

IDS 118.5 (the final version) needs a Rotunda VCM and needs to run on a 32 bit machine.(IDS DVD42 was the first issue of IDS in 2006)
SDD 119 was the start of SDD and the generic 'passthrough' devices start at SDD125. (SDD119-124 needs a VCM)

The original Jaguar issued Panasonic Toughbook was a 1.8ghz machine running Win XP Pro 32 bit. (Jaguar charged our dealership $18,000 for the setup)

A Rotunda VCM is getting really hard to find and nobody seems to want to run Win XP on an old laptop.
People have reported using Win 7 32 bit but I still use XP Pro 32 bit. (I even still use WDS)

The following users liked this post:
tlindi (10-05-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 10:27 AM

Many thanks for all that valuable advice clubairth1.
I have indeed been reading those giant threads on this subject. A lot of them go back a bit though. I also found an SDD thread on a Landrover forum that's been running for about ten years by the original poster!
I recently got hold of a JLR IDS V159.04 V159.04 on a USB memory stick. It will run in windows 7/8/Vista 32/64. It will not run in 10 or XP. The seller says its the best by far software. He also says it comes with the complete activation licence patched and current login user name and password.
I also have a program on a CD. IDS V125.03 that I've had sitting in a draw for quite sometime. It runs in windows 7 and XP 32. I've no idea if either program is what I will need for my XK8. Some have posted that various versions do more than others. One said that up to 159 did more than 160 and on.
Remember, I'm doing all this to read on a 97 XK8. and it won't be used for any other modern car. If I'm typing rubbish here, be nice and put me right as I'm really starting at the beginning on this and I do a lot of research on all my projects before I make any firm decisions.

I contacted a friend of mine who I know is running the JLR software but he's away till the end of the month. He said in his return that he's running either 130 or 131 in windows 7 and he has to move the date to keep it working plus he keeps it off-line to prevent it from updating. He also uses a Mongoose cable but he'll tell me more on his return. He runs an early X100 and a 2003 XKR
What I've found reading the early threads is that most of what was available had to be run in windows 7 32 but these days there are programs that will run in many more windows versions.
There must be a reason for this and its getting confusing as to what version of windows/laptop to choose.

Old 03-21-2023, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

I've seen people post that the British Diagnostics device works and so does the IDS/SDD they include. I think they run it in a VM but have a search and maybe find out. (For your car you'll end up in IDS I gather.)

Personally I'd avoid programming modules in case the device isn't up to it.

You do want a hefty power supply - and if you reprogram then it needs good regulation (low ripple etc). You're dealing with old old tech modules back when such drew lots of current and were fussy about voltage as well.

Old 03-21-2023, 06:14 AM

Hi JagV8. Thanks for the info. I'll look into what "British Diagnostics device" is as I've not seen it!
I don't intend to re-program any modules unless I really have to as I know its more than a bit risky. I'm looking into a power supply. There are enough out there to choose from. Nothing has changed on the power needed for Jaguars. If something stops working on my XF, the battery and alternator is the first port of call.

I'm currently looking at a tough book CF52 But its not been advertised as to what the processor is or ram size and hard drive size is. I'm also not sure what windows program it has but I'll know in a couple of days.

***Just been online to look at the British Diagnostics website. Very interesting. May be worth a purchase I think.***

Last edited by steve4ltr; 03-21-2023 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

Yes very good suggestion by JagV8. I was going to point you to that web site too. It would cut down the amount of work needed to get up running but with added cost. The cost is not too bad. I was doing SDD before they started up plus I have found the more ground work I can do installing things the better understanding I have of the system.

The have a year guarantee and they guarantee their cable too so that's ahead of anybody else dealing with SDD stuff. I would not be afraid to program modules using the British Diagnostic setup. It is proven.

Yes so many ways to get this running too?
I use Win7 Pro 64 bit. Started with SDD V160.xxx and now thru all the updates I am somewhere around V163.xxx. 100% hooked to the internet and always running the current date. I did find adding a SSD to the laptop improved how SDD runs a BUNCH! But as always it's a very slow, clunky and confusing software to use. I often don't know what it's doing as there are LONG pauses for reasons of ?

As far as the versions go I have yet to find a car my SDD V163.xxx can't read? I have not had that many cars hooked up and yours is older than any I have tried so I don't have direct experience with a 1997 model. I have manually entered 2001 car info and it recognized the VIN and immediately loaded IDS. So it "appears" to be working as it should.

Maybe I will look up a 1997 VIN somewhere and try it? Just to see what SDD does?

Last edited by clubairth1; 03-21-2023 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:35 AM

Hi clubairth1. I don't mind spending some more money if I know it will work! I first had a go at this some five years ago but the installation was a real pain for me so I gave it to a guy who knows what to do and he had a pain with it as well. I've been in touch with him last week and he now flatly refuses to get involved! So if British Diagnostics device has something that I can do rather than someone else, it may be a worthwhile move. The software I bought a couple of weeks ago said it was a "one click" operation. What a load of tosh that turned out to be!

On the British Diagnostics device site they are saying that the 130 package will do everything so I may go for that as soon as I find out what operating system they state and I get hold of a decent computer. As their stuff runs in a VM I could probably run it in a more recent operating system. I used to run some parts-book info inside a VM and I did install it so I can probably handle it.
By the way, there are still quite a few 97 XKs about. You just need to find someone who will take the risk! My friend who is on his hols at the moment said that when he plugs his early car (98) up that the software automatically selects IDS and that when he plugs his 2003 XKR it goes straight to SDD which he finds frustrating!

Also, I've had a reply from the guy selling this CF53 tough book and he's mailed me some info. Have a look and let me know if it looks worthwhile.

Microsoft Windows 7 professional
Installed physical memory 2.00gb
Total physical memory 1.99gb
Available physical memory 1.21 GB
Total virtual memory 3.98 GB
Available virtual memory 3.19 GB

Last edited by steve4ltr; 03-21-2023 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:25 PM

Well in an itchy finger moment I've bought a tough book CF18 off ebay.
I'm not sure if it fits the bill but it was so so not a lot of money I couldn't resist it! Apparently the mouse doesn't move unless a usb mouse is plugged in. Apart from that it works.
80gig removable drive 1.2 processor (which probably is slow) no idea about the ram. Battery is good and it comes with a charger. Running windows 7.
If it isn't good enough I'll get the mouse working and sell it on.
So much for itchy fingers!

Old 03-22-2023, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

Hard to say? I run 8GB memory and just added a 1TB SSD to speed things up.
I think you might find that HD too small? SDD is huge and I had a 320GB drive that was completely full and I only use this laptop for SDD. I know I consumed a lot of space with all the updates I have done.

Plus I have loaded the full PathFinder software too but can't get it working yet.

Last edited by clubairth1; 03-22-2023 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2023, 02:10 PM

It was a quick itchy finger when I saw it. Apparently the track pad doesn't work but that's probably a driver problem. Was £40 and that includes shipping so if its not up to it I'll fix the track pad and move it on.
I mailed British diagnostics yesterday but they haven't responded yet. I think that they may be the place to buy the software and they will know what I need to run it on using the JLR Mongoose lead I already have.

Old 03-25-2023, 10:40 AM

Hi all. I've sent the CF18 back so that's in the past. I'm now looking at a CF52 with 250gb hard drive and 4gig of ram and the pro is 1.80ghz and its running windows 7 pro.
Would this be ok for what I want to do with these programs or will I need something better? Thanks. S

Old 03-26-2023, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

Your idea to contact British Diagnostics is a good one.
They should have enough experience to help you select what laptop to use.

I still think you will find that 250GB drive too small but maybe not?

Old 03-26-2023, 10:10 AM

Hi clubairth1. I've just been on the BD site and read through their FAQs and read this:
We recommend a minimum spec of: Core2duo, 1gb ram, 50gb free hard drive space. This is well below even the small laptop I already have as it has 110gb of free space. I always thought that the JLR software took up a lot of hard-drive space but perhaps I'm wrong. The BD software runs in a VM as well. I'm not sure that makes any difference either.
I did mail BD last Monday but they haven't replied so I may try phoning them tomorrow and ask the relevant questions. I'll keep you informed as to what they say.

Old 03-29-2023, 02:57 AM

Just a note here to say that there isn't a phone number for BD that I can find. I've mailed them twice and so far, no return to my mails so I think I'll need to look elsewhere for the JLR software. If anyone has an alternative place to either buy it or maybe a free download that they have has success with, it would be most welcome. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Searching for IDS/SSD info on early XK8