General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Seat ID and wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat ID and wiring help

Good afternoon all, I’m new to the site and am in need of your help. As I love Jags I bought some seats to make the drive in my old VW van better. Unfortunately I can’t identify which year they are from or which model, (they look similar to some XFs I have seen) I need the movement working but not heating or airbags I’m guessing black wires are ground and brown are 12V. Not sure about the others. I’ve attached some pictures which will hopefully help anyone that is willing.

What are the blue and red wires for?

Old 08-05-2021, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,354 Likes on 1,854 Posts

All late model Jaguar's have a DDM (Drivers Door Module) which usually includes the power seat stuff and it interfaces with the entire cars electronic system including the PCM. So it's not like the old days where you put power and ground to certain wires and everything works. Note the circuit board that sits between the wiring and the seat motors in your picture.

Now you might get lucky and I would start apply 12 VDC to various wires to see if you can get anything moving. I doubt you will. I have seen people bypass all the electronics and attempt to power the seat motors directly and then rig up some kind of wiring adapter so the seat controls move the correct motor. But be aware these are complicated seats. To help identify them I would look for part numbers and see where that leads. A factory wiring diagram is required and I would work on that first before messing or modifying the seats.

When you purchased them the guy did not know what they came out of? Seems a bit odd? Hopefully they are not stolen?
Also a lot of cut wires and that's not a good sign either? Did you cut them or did the seats come that way?

If worse comes to worse you could install the seats in a fixed position or maybe even add a manual seat slider to move them back and forth.

Old 08-05-2021, 05:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

ste83, like what clubairth1 said, powering up the seat is not a simple "connect up 12 VDC to this and that wire and tada, done". If you can get me a little more information about the seat, I can help get the seat powered up to do various functions. I have helped other members do this very thing. But, I need a starting point. If you look on the seat (specifically the underside), you will hopefully find a part number. Most part numbers are going to be 4 characters, then a dash, 5-6 characters, then a dash, followed by 2 more characters. This XXXX-YYYYYY-ZZ number will tell me a lot of information. Specifically the XXXX will tell me a body style and relative year of vehicle that it came out of. The ZZ is going to tell me the version number of the seat and its associated components. So, please look and see what you can find. I have a number of recent electrical schematics and if I don't have one for this specific seat, I am sure through this site, I can get my hands on the one for this seat.

Old 08-06-2021, 06:45 AM

I completely understand what you are both saying. Firstly they came out of the same type of vehicle I want to put them in, and they were fitted when the person bought the vehicle, his wife didn’t like them which was the reason for removal. He didn’t really take much notice when removing the electrics. But they did all work when he had them fitted. I does look like he had the black wire linked and the brown/ green wires liked and the blue and red with connectors on hooked up to a red and back wire. I have been looking at the wiring diagrams for the XF as the seat looks exactly close to those in the XF S, however the wire colours don’t match. I have seen the posts form a few years back with someone making a gaming chair that thermo helped with. Where is the best place to look for the parts number you need? Thank you guys for the help already as I have already asked these questions on two other jag groups and been ignored.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:09 AM

Is this any use?

Old 08-06-2021, 04:58 PM
Veteran member

STE, yes, that was exactly what I was looking for. In this case, that relates back to a 2004 XJ. Knowing this, You should only need to wire up 3 wires to make the seat work. Now, this assumes that no one has messed with a bunch of the other wiring (which, looking at the pics, will be your nemesis for this project). So, you need to find a black wire with a red stripe, 2 black wires with a green stripe, and a single black wire. You can tie the 3 striped wires together as these will be your sources of power. The single black wire is your ground.

With this being said, if you look at the switch pack on the side of the seat, you may see 3 black wires coming off of this. These are all supposed to meet up with the factory wiring, but may have been cut. So, I would start with looking at the switch pack and finding your ground(s). specifically, they will be coming off of plug connections SD5-1, SD5-6,and SD29-1. Hopefully the plugs are numbered and this makes finding your grounds easier.

With this being said, the one black wire with a green stripe may be broken out into 4 wires (this is your switchable 12 VDC source). One wire will come off of the main control board at connector/pin SD4-13. The other 3 come off of the switch pack at terminals SD5-7, SD5-12, and SD29-8. The black wire with a red stripe comes off of plug SD3-6 (straight off of battery). The other black wire with a green stripe also comes off of the main circuit board at connector/pin SD27-2 (straight off of battery).

Since you are wiring this into a vehicle, this should handle all your power needs to.

Old 08-07-2021, 04:06 AM

Thank you so much! Im away for a few days but when I get home I can’t wait to get it working. Which bits are for the air bag? I’m wondering if to disconnect it as it won’t have all the sensors attached, I don’t want it going off accidentally. What size fuse would you recommend, as I do have spare fuse ways in the panel and was thinking of setting up independent wires rather than piggybacking of others

Old 08-07-2021, 04:32 PM
Veteran member

STE83, each of the battery wires have a factory fuse rated for 40 amps (so, you would need 2 of those). Then the switchable power supply has a 10 amp fuse associated with it. Granted, there are a lot of other things on that same circuit, so, you could probably cut it down to a 5 amp fuse.

As for airbags, it would appear that they are all not in the seat. So, you should be good there.