General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Seeking advice on non-genuine parts quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 04:46 PM
Received 186 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Seeking advice on non-genuine parts quality

Hello all, I'm seeking some feedback on what experience people have had with parts quality from a couple of aftermarket suppliers. I'm currently in the middle of a big repair on my 2010 XF 4.2 supercharged. A coolant hose that passes under the supecharger failed and necessitated removal of the engine / transmission / subframe assembly to access. Whilst the vehicle is so far dismantled it makes sense to replace a lot of things that are otherwise difficult to access. I've got quotes for an extensive list of parts from my nearest Jaguar dealer as well as from SNG Barratt and British Parts UK. There is, unsurprisingly, a big difference in prices and with the number of parts involved the difference totals well over a thousand dollars. Being new to Jaguar ownership I have no experience of the quality of parts from these suppliers so am hoping for your help- I have owned Land Rover vehicles for over 20 years and there are some notorious suppliers out there whose parts are appalling quality; I don't want to find myself in that situation here, I'll happily pay the dealer prices if there is any question mark over the non-genuine suppliers. If anyone is reluctant to publicly tell me I should avoid any particular supplier, a PM is welcome.

Old 02-10-2021, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,956 Posts

The two suppliers you mention have good reputationsm and you should have confidence they will supply parts of the right quality but there are others, like David Manners who have been supplying Jaguar and other British car parts for decades.. The basic thing to look for if it is not a Jaguar-sourced part is "OEM" meaning Original Equipment Manufacturer. OEM parts are made by the manufacturer that supplies Jaguar so are made to the same quality standards. I agree it can be a minefield, but usually the test of "if it looks too good to be true, it usually is too good to be true" holds sway.
Could you give an example of some parts where you're a bit unsure of which to buy ?

The following 2 users liked this post by Fraser Mitchell:
GGG (02-11-2021), POD XF (02-11-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Could you give an example of some parts where you're a bit unsure of which to buy ?
The parts I'm souring currently include all of the coolant hoses, two of which are under the supercharger and if they fail prematurely the engine will have to come out again. Failure of any hose is of course undesirable but I'll be going genuine with those two unless there is something out there that is definitely better. there is a hose assembly at the front of the engine which is over AU$1200 from the dealer, less than half that from the above suppliers and access is not a major issue. Other items include supercharger outlet ducts, lots of gaskets.

Old 02-11-2021, 04:21 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
The two suppliers you mention have good reputationsm and you should have confidence they will supply parts of the right quality but there are others, like David Manners who have been supplying Jaguar and other British car parts for decades.. The basic thing to look for if it is not a Jaguar-sourced part is "OEM" meaning Original Equipment Manufacturer. OEM parts are made by the manufacturer that supplies Jaguar so are made to the same quality standards. .....
+1

Both S N G Barratt and British Parts UK have worked hard for many years to build up their reputation for quality and reliablilty at competitive prices. Fraser also mention David Manners and I would add Berkshire Jag Components to the list of potential aftermarket parts sources. I have purchased from all of them over the years.

My parts buying strategy is:
1. identify the part number
2. check the cost of OEM from Jaguar (sometimes this can be a shock - other times a pleasant surprise) to give an indicative cost
3. check the cost of OEM from aftermarket parts suppliers
4. check the cost of "aftermarket equivalent" from aftermarket parts suppliers - this usually represents the best deal.

Finding the JLR cost does not necessarily require contacting a Jaguar Dealer. The Jaguar Parts and Jaguar Classic websites have useful parts diagrams and prices:
https://www.jaguarparts.com/
https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic...-classic-parts

Two factors working against you are:
1. distance - the listed suppliers are all in the UK
2. availability - JLR are running short of an increasing number of parts both for manufacturing and spares as the pandemic hits manufacturing at their suppliers

At the present time it is often a challenge finding a supplier with stock let alone at the best price.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
POD XF (02-11-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 06:20 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,192 Likes on 832 Posts

Should you have a “good” relationship with any of these suppliers, have you asked for a discount from msrp citing competition’s pricing and good customer’ship’? and the fact they will get the job?
My dealer regularly discounts my needs, equating to pricing within 10% of aftermarket pricing.
fwiw.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:11 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,237 Posts

For those with older cars, the rule of thumb is always stick with OEM for any rubber based suspension product.

Hoses....eh, that's not something I would pay a serious upcharge for...but then again the addendum to Rule #1 is to pay for OEM when the amount of effort to replace the part again is monumental, which is certainly the case in your situation.

I guess the question you want to ask is, are there BETTER hose offerings than the standard type that OEM offers, such as silicone, etc. I don't have an answer for that. I don't believe you're going to get a unique hose made for the engine that is made BETTER than OEM. The only place I would consider buying one would be at a hydraulic hose shop. (They're around you, you just don't know about them) They make custom hoses all the time for heavy duty equipment and vehicles. They would need the old hose, or a sample to see if they could make a copy. That could possibly be a beefier, more durable hose option than even OEM.

I would go with OEM on the two hoses under the supercharger, unless there is a better option, and aftermarket for the hose at the front of the engine.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Vee

I would go with OEM on the two hoses under the supercharger, unless there is a better option, and aftermarket for the hose at the front of the engine.

Which is precisely what I've done. I've ordered from the dealer the hoses that can't be accessed without major work, and gone to reputable aftermarket suppliers for the remainder. I can't see a reason why the genuine hoses shouldn't last ten years again, which I guess is acceptable. I've also ordered from the dealer those parts which will enable me to at least make a start on reassembling the vehicle whilst I wait for the remainder to arrive from overseas.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 778 Posts

An addendum I would like to add to Vee's response, as well as everyone else's. While yes, the above-mentioned suppliers do have a good reputation. For a job such as this that involves lots of labor, you don't want to re-do this because of substandard parts. As such, I would call them before ordering to make sure what the brand of the aftermarket part you're buying is. IF they say it's ÜRO, go for the OE part.

Anything made by ÜRO is trash, even the seemingly impossible to get wrong hoses. I have learned this the hard way, having had to replace ÜRO parts just weeks after installing them. And yes, even the reputable sources do carry ÜRO.

Ken Dreger (10-07-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 06:35 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
An addendum I would like to add to Vee's response, as well as everyone else's. While yes, the above-mentioned suppliers do have a good reputation. For a job such as this that involves lots of labor, you don't want to re-do this because of substandard parts. As such, I would call them before ordering to make sure what the brand of the aftermarket part you're buying is. IF they say it's ÜRO, go for the OE part.

Anything made by ÜRO is trash, even the seemingly impossible to get wrong hoses. I have learned this the hard way, having had to replace ÜRO parts just weeks after installing them. And yes, even the reputable sources do carry ÜRO.
I confirm that any reseller is capable of sending aftermarket crap parts without specifying....and charge OEM prices for it! You should always ask, regardless who you’re buying it from.

URO isn’t the worst. I find that they can be serviceable. Eurospare is to be avoided at all costs. URO makes the gaskets for the AJ6/AJ16 spark plug wells. They do not make a camcover gasket. Eurospare makes that. It’s about an inch too long. I dare you to make it work. Eurospare goes downhill from there.

Ken Dreger (10-07-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 08:27 PM

Thanks for the above tips. I have gone with dealer / genuine parts for everything that would involve a repeat of the engine & subframe removal if it were to fail. Just too damn much work to chance it. I'm feeling my way into the Jaguar world but I've been bitten in the past with non-genuine Land Rover parts, such as a transfer case drive train that was made to the incorrect spec and too short to go over the sprockets. I don't know if Britpart do jaguar as well but they won't be hearing from me. Good to know who to add to that list for the Jaguar. By the time parts get here from the UK and are found to be no good, it's too much hassle and expense to return them.

The following 2 users liked this post by POD XF:
guy (02-24-2021), Ken Dreger (10-07-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 05:59 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,192 Likes on 832 Posts

yes. I am done with being bitten too. And like you, bitten on both the LRs and Jags. It really is a false economy in the end.

Ken Dreger (10-07-2021)
Old 01-10-2023, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ensuring Quality with Aurecom Aftermarket Parts: A Guide to Non-Genuine Auto Parts

Regarding non-genuine parts, it is important to be cautious and research before purchasing. Quality can vary greatly among aftermarket parts, and using a lower-quality part can lead to costly repairs or even damage to your vehicle.

One brand to consider is Aurecom Aftermarket Parts. They have a reputation for producing high-quality, durable parts that meet or exceed original equipment specifications. They also have a rigorous quality control process to ensure that each part meets the standards set by the original equipment manufacturer.

Before making a purchase, it is also recommended to read reviews from other customers or check the warranty offered by the manufacturer. This will give you a good idea of the quality you can expect from the parts. Additionally, it's also recommended to consult with a trusted mechanic who will give you expert advice on the brand and quality of the parts you're about to purchase.

In summary, always research and consider well-established brands like Aurecom, read reviews, and check the warranty offered before purchasing to ensure you get a high-quality non-genuine part.

Old 01-31-2023, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently I bought a XF 2010 at an online auction, the condition wasn’t perfect, I saw all issues using Live Video Streaming and VIR tools, but the price was very good so I made a deal. Now I’m going to buy a lot of parts so your discussion is very useful for me, thanks a lot.