General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Select Edition Warranty Timing

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts
Default Select Edition Warranty Timing

Researching used jags and am wondering about the Select Edtion warranty. From reading here it appears that an extended SE warranty can be obtained anytime prior to buying a car from the dealer. With BMW's , the Certification must happen prior to sale. Is Jag different? Is the SE limited to the first six years from the cars in service date? Are good extended warranties available after the six year period?

Thank you in advance.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:06 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi, there!

From my experience, I believe the car must be registered by the dealer with Jaguar as a Jaguar Select Edition prior to selling it to you (they will do it for you when you agree to the sale). However, once the sale is completed, I don't believe you can get it certified as a Jaguar Select. Initially, the select warranty will be limited to 6 years (and certain mileage) from the original date the car was placed in service. If you buy the car as a Jaguar Select, I understand you can get the warranty extended as the initial period gets close to expiration.

Hope this helps!

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (01-12-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 06:15 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

I understand the "Select Edition" is not REALLY an extension of the original Jaguar factory warranty. It is instead an exclusionary aftermarket warranty that Jaguar contracts to provide to its customers on a select basis.

I am told however, it is one of the better extended warranties out there. It just does not cover everything the original 'bumper to bumper" warranty does.

In any case, look at total cost. You might actually do better by purchasing an extended warranty from a reputable company

Just my two cents

jaguny (01-12-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 06:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the jaguar select warranty and I believe it is bumper to bumper coverage. As an example, my battery died last week and the warranty covered the entire cost.

jaguny (01-12-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Watchgeek
I have the jaguar select warranty and I believe it is bumper to bumper coverage. As an example, my battery died last week and the warranty covered the entire cost.
The Jaguar Select Edition warranty, as of this year known as Jaguar Select warranty, is not actually bumper to bumper, it does not cover things like soft trim, battery, key fob battery or rubber parts like hoses. In fact, a pipe/hose assembly is not covered if it has any rubber component. So I'd guess your original warranty has yet to expire.

The other gent had a good point, the Jaguar Select has been known for years as the best in the business for a factory-backed warranty.

Cheers,