General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

So I got the JTIS download...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I got the JTIS download...

After reading Real_Tech's write up on the "IDS SDD, the naked truth" the other day I had a bit of a sinking feeling. That maybe, just maybe, I was a hackmaster.
Ouch.
I did get the JTIS .zip file downloaded and installed and I wanted to say thanks for making that available.
It's much better than what I had, which was - nothing.
But man if that's what you dealership guys have to live with, I feel for ya.
I've spent a lot of years wrenching, and I've seen some bad tech info, but that stuff is - well it's bad!
I spent 14 years in public transit fleet maintenance and watched as each new piece of equipment showed up with less and less support info, until it became apparent that holistic hood line reading was going to be the best info you might have. And then I left. Good (in one way at least) to see my past decision still has some validity.
Whatever happened to human readable info? I know, that would be too easy.
The XJS guys have the Kirby Palm book "Experience in a book".
Now that's some tech info. Someday, maybe well get one written for the XJ8 cars (and others).
Anyways - I do mean to extend my gratitude for making the JTIS available, such as it is.
So thank you,

Last edited by bobaye; 02-25-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:38 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I, too, find it somewhat lacking relative to all other dealer service manuals I have had my hands on... I wish that even Chilton's or Haynes had something for the XJ8's...

One thing to be aware of - it take s bit of digging to find some details: JTIS seems to only outline an item in it's first year. Example - I was looking for info on the secondary chain tensioners for my 2000 XJ8 to no avail, till someone here told me to look in earlier years. Sure enough - there they were, in 2008, I believe - the first year of that design.

Painful, to be sure, but a whole lot better than what I had previously - nada.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 02-25-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Very true on the JTIS, its helped me more than I'd like to admit.

I've learned, instead of using the 'picture' tree to find my component or system, I do a global search, and then just flip thru all the references for it...sometimes the diagram, or information is in a totally different area of the CD.

There are other documents floating around our members hands, like a parts diagram for XKs of my generation which are invaluable for finding 'then' prices, and listed labor times for each. Helps me pre-plan my strategy.

Another member (BuckMR2) acquired a 2005 JTIS which is totally different that anything I have or seen previously. I've never seen it anywhere else on ebay, but his descriptions he's posted, with schematics and diagrams seem very friendly to DIYs. I have never been able to find it before.

Name:  Copyofjtispic-1.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  83.9 KB

Old 02-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice pic WaterBoy - I clicked to download it...but the link didn't work ;-0 (!!!)
I'm sure there's some improvements in the later version, but I'm still glad to have what's available.
I was hoping to find some throttle body info actually. (I mean some real info, yeah you know...).
I may have to buy a spare and sacrifice it in the name of science and reverse engineering.
I refuse to accept it as the murky mystical throttle gate that Jaguar purports it to be.
I still contend that a well written service manual far exceeds the bandwidth of any internet connection or browse-able CD.
Don't take that from just me though - I'm quoting Andrew Tanenbaum from his book Computer Networks there. He's a guy who should know that too.
With persistence and tenacity we can and will subvert the dominant paradigm. (!)

Old 02-25-2010, 06:06 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I did find the 2005 edition of the TIS (lost the J in this version apparently) on ebay. I ordered it. But, surely he'll 'find' more to sell.

the 2005 covers...

XJS 1995-96 Limited info
XJ range 1995-2005
XK range 1997-2005
S-Type 1999-2005
X-Type 2001-2005

Old 02-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by bobaye
I still contend that a well written service manual far exceeds the bandwidth of any internet connection or browse-able CD.
Don't take that from just me though - I'm quoting Andrew Tanenbaum from his book Computer Networks there. He's a guy who should know that too.
With persistence and tenacity we can and will subvert the dominant paradigm. (!)
I'm with you on that one. I mean how many folk take their laptop into the throne room for a read?

Old 02-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Just ordered the new version... I'll try to post a comparison between it and the previous version here, when it arrives.