General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Stability Control warning, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stability Control warning, etc.

I have rebuilt my '98 XJ8 back to running condition from a broken timing chain, but a few issues still remain. My stability control, traction control and ABS warnings are still on. I assume that these also cause the yellow dash light to stay on. The car drives very well, but these are a neusance. Also, my cruise Control "kicks out" after engaging, and it won't allow me to restart without restarting the engine again. Any clues or ideas would be a great help. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2021, 12:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

Odds are, you have one of the wheel speed sensors not sending a signal, leading to the error lights that you see. I would say to start with getting the codes read. You will hopefully get a C11X5 code (where X is going to be a number between 4 and 7). With this number, you can figure out which wheel is having the issue. Once you resolve the sensor issue, all the other lights should go away and you will also get back your cruise. Now, this is all assuming that you still have your speedo (I think you would mention this if it wasn't working). So, this is telling me that your ABS and stability control modules are working and are plugged in. So, this takes us back to a wheel speed sensor. Based on the current work, I would be looking at the front wheels to see if a plug got bumped and is not making a good connection. Could be something that simple.

Old 04-28-2021, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Odds are, you have one of the wheel speed sensors not sending a signal, leading to the error lights that you see. I would say to start with getting the codes read. You will hopefully get a C11X5 code (where X is going to be a number between 4 and 7). With this number, you can figure out which wheel is having the issue. Once you resolve the sensor issue, all the other lights should go away and you will also get back your cruise. Now, this is all assuming that you still have your speedo (I think you would mention this if it wasn't working). So, this is telling me that your ABS and stability control modules are working and are plugged in. So, this takes us back to a wheel speed sensor. Based on the current work, I would be looking at the front wheels to see if a plug got bumped and is not making a good connection. Could be something that simple.
Thanks so much. I will start looking.