General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Strange DSC TracDSC DSCoff issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 02:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange DSC TracDSC DSCoff issues

Driving around today I tried to play around with the various settings. I had it in sport mode in DSC and tried to turn on TracDSC which it would do for a moment then it would switch to "AEB disabled DSCoff" by itself. For some strange reason it wouldn't keep the car in TracDSC. I can't figure it out since I'm only doing the short momentary press which should kick it into TracDSC only. If I do the long press then it produces the audible chime and goes to "AEB disabled DSCoff" as it should. It wasn't giving any error messages.

Was working fine a couple weeks ago last time I was messing around with it.

2017 XE 35t

Old 08-01-2023, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

On most cars or let me rephrase many cars it’s due to a bad wheel speed sensor

Old 08-02-2023, 09:24 PM

To me that logic wouldn't work. If DSC works in the normal setting why would it not work in a "modified" de- tuned setting? If the DSC at any level is dependent (and I'm assuming that wheel speed sensing is vital for any and all DSC function) on the wheel sensor them why does it work at all?

Full disclosure, I don't know how the whole is integrated, Assumptions based on what makes sense.

Old 08-03-2023, 07:36 AM
Received 276 Likes on 210 Posts

In my XE, pressing the button for <3sec makes it display "TracDSC" then it displays a different warning screen saying "AEB disabled / DSC off / Press OK to clear." ​​​​If I press "OK" the second screen disappears. The traction control light is on and is orange, and the safety warning light on the right (triangle) is also orange. I believe the car is now in TracDSC mode. If I press the button again, it goes back to "DSC on."

If I hold the button for >3sec it displays "DSC off" and also emits an audible ding​​​​​​, then displays the same warning screen "AEB disabled / DSC off / Press OK to clear." The traction control light is on, but this time the safety light on the right is red. I believe the car is now in DSC off mode.

I only just learned about this - I thought the first screen tells you what mode you went into, and the second is just the warnings associated with both modes?

Last edited by dangoesfast; 08-03-2023 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-03-2023, 10:38 AM

I'll check on this. Thanks for the detailed response.

I haven't really ever played around much with this, and my foggy memory of it has me thinking that the tracdsc would stay displayed... in tracdsc mode.

Old 08-05-2023, 12:47 AM

Played with this again. short press results in Trac DSC display followed immediately by " AEB disabled DSCoff "... Long press results in chime and "AEB disabled DSCoff "

The orange warnings are lit for both and the small car/ wheel slide icon is lit for both

Old 08-05-2023, 01:16 AM
Received 276 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by CheetahCar
Played with this again. short press results in Trac DSC display followed immediately by " AEB disabled DSCoff "... Long press results in chime and "AEB disabled DSCoff "

The orange warnings are lit for both and the small car/ wheel slide icon is lit for both
Sorry for confusing things, I could have sworn the warning lamp was red yesterday but I just double checked and it's orange in both. By now I'm extra confused so I triple-checked the manual here and the "Switching between DSC and TracDSC" says:

To switch between DSC and TracDSC, press and hold the DSC OFF button, located on the center console, for less than 3 seconds. See SWITCHING DYNAMIC STABILITY CONTROL (DSC) OFF.

The instrument panel temporarily displays the TracDSC or the DSC on message to confirm selection.

The instrument panel illuminates the DSC OFF warning lamp while TracDSC is enabled, to confirm that DSC is disabled. See DYNAMIC STABILITY CONTROL (DSC) OFF (AMBER).
then the "Switching DSC section" says:

To switch the DSC system off, press and hold the DSC OFF button, located on the center console, for more than 3 seconds.

An audible warning tone sounds. The instrument panel temporarily displays the DSC OFF message and also illuminates the DSC OFF warning lamp to confirm that DSC is disabled. See DYNAMIC STABILITY CONTROL (DSC) OFF (AMBER).
The audible tone and the first messages seems to be the differentiators between the two modes... neither section mention the AEB Disabled / DSC Off warning screen, but when I first saw that screen in both modes I just figured it meant DSC wasn't on rather than being in the "DSC off" mode.

Last edited by dangoesfast; 08-05-2023 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-05-2023, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by CheetahCar
To me that logic wouldn't work. If DSC works in the normal setting why would it not work in a "modified" de- tuned setting? If the DSC at any level is dependent (and I'm assuming that wheel speed sensing is vital for any and all DSC function) on the wheel sensor them why does it work at all?

Full disclosure, I don't know how the whole is integrated, Assumptions based on what makes sense.
ignore what I wrote. I thought they had ABS and traction control lights on continuously. Because yes 50 speed sensor is out it has constant faults and that those two lights will lite