General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

stuck oil cooler quick connect

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuck oil cooler quick connect

I can't undo the front oil cooler quick release fitting that leaks on my 94 xj12.
I have the plastic tool(7/8) that goes in all the way, but won't release..
Do I need a release collar that goes in further?
I doesn't help that the previous owner crammed in silicone around the fitting, trying to stop the leak,.
I got rid of most of the stuff, and been yanking on the hose hard, to no avail.
Suggestions?

Old 05-03-2020, 07:03 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

Startupboy, I have found that those fittings can be a PITA sometimes. What I have found that helps is you take one hand and push the connector further on to the connection (this puts a little bit of space on the back side of the spring clips). You then take the removal tool and slide it along the hose and under the spring clips (as you are still pushing the connector on). You will then want to attempt to open the tool as much as it will go as you then push the tool and pull the connector together. This should allow the connector to slide off. It is a bit of a circus show trying to do a few things all at the same time, but if you need the connector off, this is what I have found it takes.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well.!! , still no go.
Unfortunately I am doing this on the ground. To no avail.
The hose rotates, but wont come off.
Maybe I need to invest in an aluminum removal tool, instead of the cheap white plastic. It is very flimsy.
This is a rescue car, that I am trying to evaluate. It is possible that it has a blown head gasket, and it definitely needs one hydraulic motor mount .
The oil leak is so bad that I can;t drive it, so it has to get fixed.. No white smoke; and radiator seems to stay full, but I think it got overheated badly.
I don't really want to spend a lot of money until I make sure that the car is worth saving.
( It was cheap).

Old 05-08-2020, 04:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 996 Likes on 676 Posts

After I blew a hole in my 6.0 XJ12 oil cooler hose, I sent the car to the local British Automotive shop. Their solution for the replacement of both lines was to CUT OFF the original 4 fittings at each end, and weld on smaller diameter barbed connectors. Then they used leaky, inappropriate hoses. It was a total hack job. Luckily, the shop that actually welded the connectors (a subcontractor shop) apparently did a good job. I replaced the crappy hose with the good stuff and all has been well. But enough about me...

The method of cutting off the connector and welding a barbed connector on could work for you, if done right. You can probably find barbed connectors (3 barbs) that will fit into the original hose. But if you get the car running and decide to keep it, you will probably want to replace both oil cooler hoses, as they are ancient and could pop like mine did. And original metal/rubber lines are just too expensive, if you can find them at all.

Last edited by SleekJag12; 05-08-2020 at 04:21 AM.