General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

sun damaged paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 06:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sun damaged paint

l have a champagne gold 2002 s-type. l'm wondering what to do about a few patches of sun damaged paint on the hood and roof of the car,would a cut and polish help? Or fix the problem? Regards Steven

Old 01-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,923 Likes on 3,223 Posts

accounts2000, if you are talking about where the paint has turned white, then you are looking at having a shop respray the car assuming that they can use some polishing compound/lightly sand to get rid of the white (damaged clear coat). If they end up having to go below the color paint layer, then you are looking at having to have atleast the pieces painted with color and then clear coat the whole car.

You can try removing the white yourself using something like 3M Perfect-It III (Stage 1 or 2) and then taking your chances. Then all you would have to have done is the car clear coated.

Granted, I am making an assumption here. The best advice that I can say is to take it to a body shop and see what they say. But, I can almost garantee that they are going to see the Jag emblem and say something to the effect of "oh, this is bad and it needs a whole new paint job to the tune of ......". I would guess they are going to try and get your for somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500-2000.

The following users liked this post:
accounts2000 (01-02-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

use a product called X-Kote, it works like magic

Last edited by GGG; 02-08-2014 at 05:31 PM. Reason: edit product name
accounts2000 (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Clear-over-Base paint is the very devil when it gets faded, because it is the base coat that is faded not the clear coat. In the old days of single layer paints, one could polish away the faded top of the paint, but with the clear coat on top, it is virtually impossible. I tried with my wife's New Beetle, that is a very bright yellow, but all you do is polish the clear coat, and the base coat stays the faded same. A combination of sanding away the clear coat, followed by a polish then application of another layer of clear coat might work.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by dublj306
l rang x-kote up and the quoted me 6 -700 for a treatment,whats on the site in before and afters is pretty impressive,still my damage is bad. If they can get me out of it for the price ld be smiling.

http://www.x-kote.com.au/before-afte...icon_beerchug:

Old 02-10-2014, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Clear-over-Base paint is the very devil when it gets faded, because it is the base coat that is faded not the clear coat. In the old days of single layer paints, one could polish away the faded top of the paint, but with the clear coat on top, it is virtually impossible. I tried with my wife's New Beetle, that is a very bright yellow, but all you do is polish the clear coat, and the base coat stays the faded same. A combination of sanding away the clear coat, followed by a polish then application of another layer of clear coat might work.
lm very tempted to give the x-kote a go,but have a horrible suspicion you may be right,in which case its six or seven hundred bucks down the drain.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have time to invest in, you could have a body shop
sandblast the existing paint and then shoot 1-2 layers of basecoat and then clearcoat. If you go by this route, I would suggest, atleast 5-6 layers of urethane clearcoat. Spraymax 2K is pretty good. Worst case, even if you used spraymax 2K clearcoat (aerosol spray can), there would be tremendous amount of orange peel, which you would have to wet sand by hand or machine (orbital buffer) from 1500 grit progressively down to about 3000 grit - 5000 grit. Afterwards, you would need an orbital buffer to buff it out , polish it and then wax it ! It would come out looking as good as ever ! Plus, in terms of materials, it would be way too cheap ! Of course, you need loads of time and patience for this !

Thanks

Old 02-11-2014, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by dublj306
Hi there,
lve rang x kote and it might just do the trick.lm gonna take a run down there for the xkote boys at silverwaters request to get an assessment.If it comes off well,l will post the result,thanks again.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Thumbs up

no problem man, **** works like magic for scratches, fades, discolor , clear whatever, x cote is da **** . lol i wouldnt sandblast your car or spend 1000s doing all this **** these guys saying but your call, your flow , your car, im repainting my x type this spring/summer!

accounts2000 (02-13-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
accounts2000, if you are talking about where the paint has turned white, then you are looking at having a shop respray the car assuming that they can use some polishing compound/lightly sand to get rid of the white (damaged clear coat). If they end up having to go below the color paint layer, then you are looking at having to have atleast the pieces painted with color and then clear coat the whole car.

You can try removing the white yourself using something like 3M Perfect-It III (Stage 1 or 2) and then taking your chances. Then all you would have to have done is the car clear coated.

Granted, I am making an assumption here. The best advice that I can say is to take it to a body shop and see what they say. But, I can almost garantee that they are going to see the Jag emblem and say something to the effect of "oh, this is bad and it needs a whole new paint job to the tune of ......". I would guess they are going to try and get your for somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500-2000.
l

l checked out x-kote which l now think may actually pull me out of it at 6 or 7 hundred bucks. But then whats the extra grand or 1300 to get the thing fully resprayed.? It's a tough call.l should try 3M perfect and see if it can do the job though agreed,its only 60 to 100 for the various types of it..but l'm a lazy slob on the weekends and it looks like it needs some elbow grease. l thought you could buy x-kote and put it on yourself,but they do it.
Yes well they see that emblem and bump up the price but you've got to weigh that up against the glory of driving a Jag haven't you.? The thugs in blue pulled me up the other night and seemed to get the impression l was filthy rich and made comments to the effect that the pots l'd picked up off the side of the road and thrown in the boot for the garden were actually part of a big dope harvest.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by taylor_cj2009
If you have time to invest in, you could have a body shop
sandblast the existing paint and then shoot 1-2 layers of basecoat and then clearcoat. If you go by this route, I would suggest, atleast 5-6 layers of urethane clearcoat. Spraymax 2K is pretty good. Worst case, even if you used spraymax 2K clearcoat (aerosol spray can), there would be tremendous amount of orange peel, which you would have to wet sand by hand or machine (orbital buffer) from 1500 grit progressively down to about 3000 grit - 5000 grit. Afterwards, you would need an orbital buffer to buff it out , polish it and then wax it ! It would come out looking as good as ever ! Plus, in terms of materials, it would be way too cheap ! Of course, you need loads of time and patience for this !

Thanks
This is a brilliant idea Taylor, however it does require considerable patience and discipline.l'm as rough as guts and can't be trusted with any sort of paint near a Jaguar.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:27 PM

haha pigs love me to man! fawk em, tinted riding dirty..

accounts2000 (02-13-2014)