General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tech assistance - knowledgable members

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 12:52 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My two cents worth:

Guru implies the achievement of spiritual enlightenment through transcendence aided by a disciplined approach and meditation: much like working weekends on your Jag out of love, to achieve the bliss that comes from with the knowledge of your cat's true inner self. This sounded good to me at first, but the more I think about it, the more it sounds too spiritually egalitarian for the simple love of cars.

On the other hand, a Thumbs Up/Like icon would be purely member-driven based on the usefulness of the post, whether by a certified tech, a wise guru or a common schlub like me with only one good idea. I suggest modeling a "Like" button after the ones on Facebook, which also count how many people "Like" a particular post. You can control abuse by not having an "unlike" or "thumbs down" button.

To me, the positive reinforcement of a "Like/Thumbs-up" button similar that on Facebook is just what we need, not some fancy title that could potentially open up the forum to criticism by others.

I'm rather thinking that Jag Forum members would prefer to express their thanks with a Like/Thumbs-Up button rather than through a reverential title bestowed by select holders of knowledge. I believe that the best appreciation comes from your peers.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Thanks for the feedback folks, keep it coming.

It is much appreciated.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

For aftermarket installers , I think we should use AUDIO EXPERT badge .
IE: Dennis Black at X Type Forums posted a thread about his aftermarket setup and I have noticed that some members benefit from his thread and he also bumps it up time to time .

If we say X Type Expert it chimes in my mind that a member who is greatly skilled in every aspect of a particular ride like Thermo .He has already got a badge

Old 09-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

How about "Master Tech"?

Old 09-29-2010, 09:28 PM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
I'd be in favor of something along the lines of the "thumbs up" recognition, or "most helpful" stars....something like that. Something generated by the readers themselves.

Assigning titles or badges such as "expert" or "guru" leaves me with a slightly uneasy feeling, frankly, and for a number of reasons...not the least of which is that they inherently segregate rather than unite. I can elaborate on this but I probably don't have to.

Cheers
DD
I'm with Doug here for similar reasons. I'm not much for titles or labels and prefer to leave them out....just me.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by stevetech
I'm with Doug here for similar reasons. I'm not much for titles or labels and prefer to leave them out....just me.
We could just change our screen names to Bobtech, joetech, Er Stevetech
Who luvs ya baaaaby

Old 09-30-2010, 06:25 AM
ud

Yeah, interesting on screen names. This was the first forum in which I've ever participated. I was too naive to realize the screen name you choose is permanent. In retrospect, I would have chosen something else, maybe Steve1 or Steve1111,....or maybe Billyjoe2222, but its a "Fete accompli" at this point.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by stevetech
Yeah, interesting on screen names. This was the first forum in which I've ever participated. I was too naive to realize the screen name you choose is permanent. In retrospect, I would have chosen something else, maybe Steve1 or Steve1111,....or maybe Billyjoe2222, but its a "Fete accompli" at this point.
STEVE PM JIM(ADMIN) HE SHOULD BE ABLE TO CHANGE IT FOR YOU, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING "PRINCE STEVE, BRITISH AND GERMAN AUTOPHILE EXTRAORDINAIRE"
I KNOW ALITTLE WORDY BUT YOU SHOULD DO IT

Old 09-30-2010, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  19.3 KB

Thanks Brutal, I already pm'd steve and offered to change it for him
No problem.
btw....DO YOU NEED TO SHOUT???....lol

Old 10-01-2010, 05:26 AM
ud

Thanks Jim, I've answered your pm.

Best,

Old 10-01-2010, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  19.3 KB

Nice new name Steve11

Old 10-01-2010, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by JimC64

Thanks Brutal, I already pm'd steve and offered to change it for him
No problem.
btw....DO YOU NEED TO SHOUT???....lol
ACTUALLY IVE EXPLAINED THIS BEFORE JIM, BUT FOR THOSE SHORT ON MEMORY.... WHEN IM AT WORK I USE A ADP PROGRAM THAT ONLY USES ALL CAPS COMMANDS. SINCE IM NOT A LOOK AT THE SCREEN BUT THE KEYBOARD TYPE GUY. I END UP TYPING A WHOLE PARAGRAPH BEFORE I LOOK UP TO SEE IM IN ALL CAPS. SO IM NOT GONNA GO BACK AND CHANGE IT. BESIDES THIS WEBSITE AND OTHERS ALMOST ALWAYS CHANGES MY POSTS TO LOWER CASE ANYWAYS. NOTICE I SAID "ALMOST ALWAYS"
AS OF LATE THOUGH IT DOESNT "ALWAYS" MAYBE YOU COULD TALK TO I.T. AND HAVE THAT FIXED.....

Old 10-01-2010, 05:59 PM
ud

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
ACTUALLY IVE EXPLAINED THIS BEFORE JIM, BUT FOR THOSE SHORT ON MEMORY.... WHEN IM AT WORK I USE A ADP PROGRAM THAT ONLY USES ALL CAPS COMMANDS. SINCE IM NOT A LOOK AT THE SCREEN BUT THE KEYBOARD TYPE GUY. I END UP TYPING A WHOLE PARAGRAPH BEFORE I LOOK UP TO SEE IM IN ALL CAPS. SO IM NOT GONNA GO BACK AND CHANGE IT. BESIDES THIS WEBSITE AND OTHERS ALMOST ALWAYS CHANGES MY POSTS TO LOWER CASE ANYWAYS. NOTICE I SAID "ALMOST ALWAYS"
AS OF LATE THOUGH IT DOESNT "ALWAYS" MAYBE YOU COULD TALK TO I.T. AND HAVE THAT FIXED.....
Could have fooled me...with typing, punctuation and spelling as perfect as yours I never would have guessed you don't even look at the screen for whole paragraphs.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by steve11
Could have fooled me...with typing, punctuation and spelling as perfect as yours I never would have guessed you don't even look at the screen for whole paragraphs.
Lol, you should see my at home posts when Ie had a few beerrs

Old 10-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

I'll suggest it here like i did on the Thermo homage thread..."Valued Opinion" or "Take heed, this Cat knows of what he speaks" badges

Old 10-02-2010, 01:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
Lol, you should see my at home posts when Ie had a few beerrs
AHA, so that is how we can keep track of ye, just look for beerr caps

Old 10-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I knew about the caps issue for Brutal at work so understood the reasoning for it when he responds to my questions. I also know that in many cases his responses have been very helpful and have saved me a great deal of cash which goes towards the daughter's college costs (Can't wait until thats over so I can use the money for the real things that matter, massages and Hookers ).

Once you get on the site for a while and understand the players that respond (like Brutal) and how their help is so valuable, you will not care if they cap every response, drink a case of beer and mis-spell every word and say F*** You after every sentence. I know in between all that, they know their stuff and help a great deal. Sounds like I'm stroking these guys, but really, just grateful. Without them, My wife's Jag would be a mess.

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (01-04-2012)
Old 12-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help

need help with getting radiator out ! how hard is it to do

Old 12-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

letitbe, ummmmm this is in the way wrong thread and what vehicle are you inquiring about? It would be very helpful for you in the future, if you goto "User CP" and "edit signature" and type in year, model and engine, as you see in my (and many many others) signature!

Old 12-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Jim if you happen to come along this old thread, whatever happened to this original idea? I am in full support of it. There are alot of GREAT members that should receive some sort of recognition, even if "they don't want it"!

Quick Reply: Tech assistance - knowledgable members