General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tool kit for non-mechanical woman

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 04:41 PM
Received 172 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Tool kit for non-mechanical woman

Being non-mechanical, and with some physical limitations, are there certain “must carry” tools for my 1997 XK8 (convertible)? I do keep the tech manuals in the boot, along with a small tire inflator, first aid kit, flashlight, hazard/emergency kit, extra qt of oil. I usually do over-compensate, but also anticipate learning what I CAN do if necessary. It really IS a small storage space, and I need room for the picnic hamper as well....
thanks all!

Cindy

Old 08-16-2021, 03:15 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Cindy,

I carry very little more than you have listed. A multi-tool, duct tape, electrical tape, code reader and tyre plug kit. An engine, transmission or suspension issue is usually going to be beyond roadside repair and the most likely incidents to cause a breakdown where immediate intervention is possible are:
1. puncture
2. electrical/electronic faults
3. overheating

Advance preparation - make sure the locking wheel (lug) nut key is in the toolkit and the wheels can be removed. If some gorilla with an air wrench has tightened them way beyond the recommended torque (63 - 75 lbf) then roadside removal is going to be challenging for anyone. Presuming your vehicle has the spacesaver spare, these tend to lose air at around 2 - 5 psi per month so a pressure check should be added to monthly oil/coolant checks. I carry a tyre plug kit for emergency repairs without having to remove the wheel. Takes up very little space and saves a lot of time.

You need to get slightly technical for electronic faults. The MIL/CEL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp/Check Engine Lamp) illuminating or the vehicle going into RP (Restricted Performance) needs a code reader. Nothing fancy to read basic Powertrain (Pxxxx) codes but essential to find out what is setting the warning. Often just clearing codes will get a vehicle going temporarily either back home or to a safe place.

Overheating is an engine killer. A temporary repair to a split hose can be made with duct tape and plain water can be used to fill up in an emergency.

For situations where only recovery is the answer, there should be a screw-in Towing Eye in the toolkit. Check it's there.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Rosevillesister (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 03:19 AM
Received 10,483 Likes on 6,922 Posts

OK, your up there and things are a tad different.

I always carry:

Duct tape. Good hose emergency repair, then leave the pressure cap OFF.
Screwdriver
Pliers
Odd spanners (wrench I think).
Wire.Surprising what can be fixed with sire and pliers.
Coolant. OK, water will do to get home and sort the issue correctly.

Not ever been involved in teh XK8 cars others may add to that.

We traveled the Aust coast road, 25000kms, in the 1985 XJS V12 with not much more than I mentioned. Never used any of them.

The daily/weekly etc care of ANY car makes a huge difference to the tools carried. The XK8 is a modern car, and modern cars are generally more reliable IF that care is done right.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,213 Likes on 2,368 Posts

I reckon the most likely problem on the side of the road is a simple puncture so the best tool to carry is a tyre plug kit (and a tyre inflator which you already have).
I have a Stop & Go kit, this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/32468021752...0AAOSwWDlgyoMe
Great for simple nail/screw punctures, I have used it twice now and it really saved my bacon. But read up on the instructions first so you know how to use it when the time comes.

Old 08-16-2021, 06:25 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

Rose, I can think of 2 things that will be of significant help for a person like yourself. The first is getting what is called a Star bar. It looks like a big plus and it is meant for changing tires. Yes, there is a wrench in the car, but for someone like you, you will probably find that this just doesn't have the leverage you need to break the lug nuts loose. Get the biggest one you can find so you have the leverage to break stuff free. Once you get one, each end is a different size. See which end fits your car. Note that end and then using say a can of spray paint or some other signifier, mark that end. This way, in the frustration of the moment, it is one less thing you have to figure out. I tend to spray paint the end the color of the car as I move mine from car to car and I just happen to have 2 different size wheel nuts on the cars.

The second thing would be a subscription to a service like AAA (your auto insurance may already have this). That way, if you break down and due to whatever reason, it is beyond your control, a single call and zoom, you are off to safety. Sure, a service like this will run you $100 a year or so, but after that first tow back to somewhere that you can get assistance, it will be well worth it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
Grant Francis (08-16-2021), Rosevillesister (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 07:19 AM
Default Adding to my list

Wow! Ask and ye shall receive! So, I do have ‘premium plus’ AAA membership . Check. Have my new list(note to self: buy more paper): duct tape, electrical tape, plug kit, multi tool, various small tools. Wish list: code reader(BobRoy recommended). And need to thoroughly check to see what is with the spare tire, check that psi.
can I say it often enough? You guys are invaluable! Thank you, yet again!

Cindy

The following 3 users liked this post by Rosevillesister:
GGG (08-16-2021), Grant Francis (08-16-2021), sklimii (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Yea with cell phones and tow trucks I really don't carry anything theses days. I don't even change flat tires anymore. Just too easy and quick to call someone out.

The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
guy (08-28-2021), Rosevillesister (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 11:01 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 1,213 Posts

With an app, the wireless OBD2 readers are less than $10! Order yours today!!!

Old 08-24-2021, 04:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,098 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Personally if you are a non mechanical person (regardless of gender) I wouldnt waste any money on tools and that kind of stuff. Invest in the best roadside assist/autoclub type service you can buy. Other than that just think about what you need to keep yourself comfortable and safe at the roadside in your environment until the cavalry arrives.

The following 3 users liked this post by yarpos:
Grant Francis (08-24-2021), Rosevillesister (08-24-2021), V7Sport (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Originally Posted by yarpos
Personally if you are a non mechanical person (regardless of gender) I wouldnt waste any money on tools and that kind of stuff. Invest in the best roadside assist/autoclub type service you can buy.
I'd say instead that the most likely breakdown with a properly maintained car is a puncture.

Anyone can change a wheel if:
1. they practice beforehand (dry weather, probably at home, with guidance preferably)
2. carry the odd tool or two to make it easier (telescopic wheel wrench is #1, hi-vis vest for safety is #2 maybe)
3. has made SURE all wheel (aka lug) nuts are correctly tight (i.e. not over-tight) - again a good job to do at home

Rosevillesister (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 04:28 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

I would forego the previous recommendation to buy an old time "star bar"? (Never heard the four sided tool called that before) Instead, buy this telescoping tool for the job:
Lug Nut Wrench Lug Nut Wrench

Then, I would have a small socket set in the car, preferably with 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 14mm sockets. This one might do, but make sure you throw in the 8mm...you may need that one.
Socket Set Socket Set

I would also buy one of those battery packs that can jumpstart your car, like this one:
Jump Starter Jump Starter

Lastly, a screwdriver with different tips stored in the handle. This one, is pricey, but my favorite, and even has the T-27 torx head included!
Screwdriver Screwdriver

Old 08-24-2021, 05:23 PM
Default Tires and Tool Kits

Originally Posted by JagV8
I'd say instead that the most likely breakdown with a properly maintained car is a puncture.

Anyone can change a wheel if:
1. they practice beforehand (dry weather, probably at home, with guidance preferably)
2. carry the odd tool or two to make it easier (telescopic wheel wrench is #1, hi-vis vest for safety is #2 maybe)
3. has made SURE all wheel (aka lug) nuts are correctly tight (i.e. not over-tight) - again a good job to do at home
AAA membership,multi-tool, duct tape & electrical tape, tire inflator, flashlight, emergency hazard lights, first aid kit, water, all the manuals, and a filled thermos.......CHECK. Will get wheel wrench.
Now I’m going to tell you about my first(and last) tire change all by myself. So, hubby(now ex) had checked my fairly new Mercury Cougar, rotated tires, for a 3 hour road trip I was taking, alone. As an after thought, showed me how to change tire...,About 2 hours into trip, I accelerated to pass another car(about 70mph).... and guess what? Rear drivers tire BLEW OUT. Lady-handled it to the shoulder. No cell phones then. And about 5 miles past CHP headquarters on highway. Put blocks behind tires, got jack out and jacked up car enough to get tire off(full size spare at that time). Guess what? Dear hubby had rotated steel belted tires so they ran backwards. Uh, steel belts wrapped around axel. Guess what, again.....hubby had worked at Goodyear, building steel belted radials for 8 years.
i got the darn tire changed, no one stopped until I was tightening lug nuts. End of story.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,213 Likes on 2,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Vee
I would forego the previous recommendation to buy an old time "star bar"? (Never heard the four sided tool called that before) Instead, buy this telescoping tool for the job:
Lug Nut Wrench

Then, I would have a small socket set in the car, preferably with 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 14mm sockets. This one might do, but make sure you throw in the 8mm...you may need that one.
Socket Set

I would also buy one of those battery packs that can jumpstart your car, like this one:
Jump Starter

Lastly, a screwdriver with different tips stored in the handle. This one, is pricey, but my favorite, and even has the T-27 torx head included!
Screwdriver
Yep, that Lug Nut Wrench is pretty much identical to the one I carry in the car as part of my tool kit, much easier to store than a cross brace (the correct name for a "star bar") and it has saved my bacon two or three times now, forget the OEM "tire lever/wrench" which is almost useless and has been known to bend like a pretzel.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, that Lug Nut Wrench is pretty much identical to the one I carry in the car as part of my tool kit, much easier to store than a cross brace (the correct name for a "star bar") and it has saved my bacon two or three times now, forget the OEM "tire lever/wrench" which is almost useless and has been known to bend like a pretzel.
Have ordered that lug wrench...already have socket set in another tool caddy, hmmmm screwdriver thing on horizon(good to have in any case, replaces multitude of drivers), jump starter huh? Yes, it’s nice to believe that roadside service can help in ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, but I’m pragmatic enough to believe in YouTube, Google, and tech manuals , when help cannot come soon for comfort. I am usually the one who has the “thing” that others need.
Until I bought the Jaguar, my car trunk was always spacious enough for all kinds of “possibles”( I call ‘em “2 body trunks”...).

Old 08-25-2021, 07:09 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rosevillesister
Have ordered that lug wrench...already have socket set in another tool caddy, hmmmm screwdriver thing on horizon(good to have in any case, replaces multitude of drivers), jump starter huh? Yes, it’s nice to believe that roadside service can help in ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, but I’m pragmatic enough to believe in YouTube, Google, and tech manuals , when help cannot come soon for comfort. I am usually the one who has the “thing” that others need.
Until I bought the Jaguar, my car trunk was always spacious enough for all kinds of “possibles”( I call ‘em “2 body trunks”...).
For a convertible, the trunk is not bad at all...maybe a one body trunk?

Rosevillesister (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 695 Posts

Interesting discussion about the four sided lug wrench, but one tool I would suggest to invest in, not necessarily to carry with you, but I consider essential for emergency preparation, is a 1/2 inch drive torque wrench and appropriate sized socket for your lug nuts. Reason is that whenever you have your car serviced, there is a propensity to overtorque the lug nuts making it a real bear to break them loose with the kit in your trunk. First thing I do when I get my car home from having new tires or anything like that is to get out my big 4-sided lug wrench (or sometimes have to resort to an impact gun) and break them all loose. Then I set the correct torque values on my "clicker" type torque wrench and re-torque them all to the right settings. That way I know for sure that I will be able to get them off with the factory lug wrench if I ever need to change a tire on the shoulder of the freeway in the rain. I figure the less time it takes me to fight with it, the sooner I'm going to be out of harm's way. And then I don't need to carry any extra lug wrench.

If you are of slight build, then you might test to see how much effort it takes YOU to unscrew a properly torqued lug nut. Maybe you need the extra leverage of a bigger lug wrench even when properly torqued. But then its even more crucial that you don't need to be wrestling a torque bear on the side of the road. You can get a decent 10-150lb click torque wrench on Amazon for under $40. Just don't use the torque wrench to break the nuts loose as it supposedly messes up the calibration - only for tightening and be sure to store it with the setting on zero.

Rosevillesister (08-25-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
whenever you have your car serviced, there is a propensity to overtorque the lug nuts making it a real bear to break them loose with the kit in your trunk. First thing I do when I get my car home from having new tires or anything like that is to get out my ... lug wrench ... and break them all loose. Then I set the correct torque values on my "clicker" type torque wrench and re-torque them all to the right settings.
Me too!!

Old 08-26-2021, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Vee
Lug Nut Wrench

Socket Set

Jump Starter

Screwdriver
Received my telescoping luv wrench yesterday, and thank you for suggesting it! It takes up very little space and I could handle it without difficulty. The torque wrench now, sounds like I need to have someone tighten the lugs properly so that I can get a feel for how tight they need to be. I had a tire shop repair a tire on my Altima and proceeded to break the lug. Doesn’t make sense; guy didn’t know what he was doing obviously AND the TIRE SHOP didn’t have the ability to REMOVE and replace the lug...had to send car to a (I believe) wheel bearing shop.
Of course, I know that I will definitely have limitations on doing anything but “easy access” stuff, and want to learn at least the minimal roadside Jag first aid..
Guys/members; those of you with hands-on experience..how great it would be to have you give in-person instruction to new Jag members in your area. The Forum is invaluable for “been there, done that”, but hands on always works best for me. I wouldn’t have to keep looking up the terms you use...LOL!