General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Transmission Fluid

I have a XJ8 and an XK8 both had the fluid changed.. the secret is OUT, there are 2 fluids you can youse: Valvoline Max Life, fully sintetic, meets BMW LT71141 or Castrol import multi-vehicle is written right on the bottle.Jaguar will never admit it or tell you, they want to make a fortune on trans fluid, we should ask ...Jaguar, that is, where is your oil refinery?
You can call Valvoline 1 800 832-6825 option 5 they are very helpfull and will confirm that treir fluid costing no more than $7.00 is the same as the jaguar @$40 more or less!!!!!
Drop me a note I will be glad to share.
rennicint@yahoo.com

Old 12-16-2012, 02:38 AM
Received 10,503 Likes on 6,935 Posts

Yep.

We have "Multi vehicle full synthetic" trans fluids down here. Primarily Penrite (penriteoil.com.au) and Nulon (nulon.com.au), that have them. The list of "applicable to spec" is growing daily. I have used them for 3 years now in all my Jags and other brands of cars with NO ill effects at all.

CastroL, Valvoline, Mobil, and other big names are here, but not as readily available as those 2 in my opinion.

I understand that the northern hemisphere markets (mainly the States) have very different available oils in general than what we have, and vice/versa.

My findings is our manufacturers have basically taken a lot of the Hoo-Ha out of the "special oils" secrecy. Then add the manufacturers strongly advising a trans fluid change at approx 80k kms is assisting fluid manufacturers to "get with it". This "sealed for life" has really caused some serious grief down here as well other markets.

Some of the trans fluids, namely the ZF 6 speed is still not on the list of any of these, so down here its MB or ZF direct for that oil, and only in 20ltr containers that I could find at work from our oil suppliers.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 12-16-2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Jaguar will never admit it or tell you, they want to make a fortune on trans fluid, we should ask ...Jaguar, that is, where is your oil refinery?
Why care about Jaguar? All non-supercharged XJ8 and XK8 are fitted with 5 gear ZF 5HP24 transmissions. And the ZF Friedrichshafen AG maintains a worldwide network of trained service partners.

When the time has come to change the transmission oil I'll give my Daimler into the hands of one of those service partners (which is, by chance, right across the street in my case {lucky me! } ). This I can be sure that the tranny is maintained the right way and that the oil will be replaced with a certified fluid.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Default ZF Tech.

There are not ZF service station where I am,
The oils I mentioned, Valvoline Max Life and Castrol multi import are certified to be used in the ZF.
If you like to keep wasting your money go hehad

Old 12-18-2012, 03:04 AM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

As the transmission is slightly more important to a car than let's say a couple of light bulbs, and proper maintainance of the transmission elongates its lifespan significantly, I can't see why it should be a waste of money to let the maintainance do by a service partner of the transmission's manufacturer.

It's far less expensive than letting Jaguar do the job.

My point is that the cost of alternatives should be compared to the cost of the service done by ZF partners and not to what Jaguar charges.

If there isn't a ZF service partner available I consider DIY or maintainance by a trustworthy workshop far better than no maintainance at all.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:07 AM

according to the owner manual the zf transmission does not require maintenance it is sealed for life, does not even has a dit stick to chek the fluid level I was giving anvise that is for any reason ( My fluid leaked from the pan) you need to replace the fluid, yuo do not have to pay the high price of zf or jaguar fluid

Old 12-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

I think the general consensus now from ZF, dealers and owners is that the "sealed for life" information is bollo,,,, (sorry) not correct and fluid changes should be carried out.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:17 AM
Received 10,503 Likes on 6,935 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
I think the general consensus now from ZF, dealers and owners is that the "sealed for life" information is bollo,,,, (sorry) not correct and fluid changes should be carried out.
Right on Norri.

Down here in the last 18 months, or so, ALL the manufacturers have woken up to the errors of "sealed for life" being taken as seriously as it originally was, and are now recommending strongly that the fluid gets changed at "about 80000kms".

Old 12-21-2012, 11:59 PM
Default seal for life

seal for life is B.S. for sure unless they mean a life of 100000 kilometers or less! we should get that clarified from ZF in the mean time chek you fluid level and do not buy their transmissin fluid