General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

WDS help

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy WDS help

Evening,

I have this pesky wds computer, replaced the batteries and it booted p fine with no issues...well until what little charge they had in them was gone. I have replaced the power supply on the docking station with an ATX from an HP computer (after a small rewiring) and the docking station powers up (cd and floppy start up, power light and docked light illuminate if the ptu is engaged) both 12V lights on the docking station illuminate (docking station motherboard) and the 16v light comes on also albeit a bit more dim than the other two. Problem is there seems to be no power going to the PTU to either turn it on or charge batteries. Both ceramic resistors on the docking station do get hot and the power supply fan is engaged. not sure what else could be the problem, as today is the first time I have had ptu turn on due to the battery. Sorry for the long post but does anyone have any similar issues ?? perhaps a hidden fuse somewhere in the docking station, when i received it the orig. power supply was shot. the connector / slider portion seems to engage with no issues and appears to be in good shape at least. thanks for any advice

Paul

Old 02-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Received 8,138 Likes on 4,910 Posts

Buy a 12V power cable (A204) to power the PTU from a car battery and see if the CD ROM will read a CD to the PTU. You can plug in a mouse and keyboard to use the PTU as a Windows 98 computer. You can press the WINDOW and E keys to enter windows explorer to see the CD and A drives. (and all the other folders)

I loaded the DTC summaries (.pdf) onto the PTU hardrive to view them without going to another computer or finding the paper ring binder in the stack of books.

You will need the A204 anyway if you want to configure modules. If the PTU requests the A204 and you don't plug it in, the programming stops there!!!!!! It will NOT continue.

Once the software is loaded, you don't actually need the docking station if you power the PTU with the A204 and use the touch screen for the keyboard/mouse.

The OBDII cable (B203) will also power the PTU so you might plug it in and power up the PTU that way.

I have uploaded the Jaguar WDS guide as a .pdf in the sticky section somewhere.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
93XJR-S (02-01-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 10:27 PM

thanks Bob, if the unit is plugged in via the dc / battery cable will it also charge the battery?? I ordered the 204 cable but am curious if a standard 12v laptop charger could be used to charge the thing

Thanks again for your help....once I have it running long enough I will arrange for those update cd's with you

Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 AM

I think it will charge the battery with either the A204 or the OBDII cable. Either way will power the PTU to operate for diagnostics and programming.

I don't 'undock' my PTU very often and I just keep the WDS plugged in and next to the vehicle in the shop. That way I can print-out things that I save for the customer right then.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
93XJR-S (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 04:00 PM

Ah, I miswired the replacement power supply on the docking station, looks like it needed 1 12V, 2 5V, and the 3 others were ground. Seems to be happy now, unfortunately though the A204 order did not work out, looks like there is one on ebay at the moment so may wait to see the asking price closer to the end of the auction, wish there was one around Houston, oh well. Thanks again for your advice!!! much appreciated

Old 02-03-2012, 04:33 PM

Remember that the touch screen can be calibrated by double tapping the red OFF button on the right side. You need to tap it twice QUICKLY and the calibration screen comes up.

bob gauff

Old 12-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Buy a 12V power cable (A204) to power the PTU from a car battery and see if the CD ROM will read a CD to the PTU. You can plug in a mouse and keyboard to use the PTU as a Windows 98 computer. You can press the WINDOW and E keys to enter windows explorer to see the CD and A drives. (and all the other folders)

I loaded the DTC summaries (.pdf) onto the PTU hardrive to view them without going to another computer or finding the paper ring binder in the stack of books.

You will need the A204 anyway if you want to configure modules. If the PTU requests the A204 and you don't plug it in, the programming stops there!!!!!! It will NOT continue.

Once the software is loaded, you don't actually need the docking station if you power the PTU with the A204 and use the touch screen for the keyboard/mouse.

The OBDII cable (B203) will also power the PTU so you might plug it in and power up the PTU that way.

I have uploaded the Jaguar WDS guide as a .pdf in the sticky section somewhere.

bob gauff
Hello Bob,

I recently bought a Ford WDS off of Ebay (GDS 3500). I wonder if I could prevail upon you for the Jaguar software?