General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Window Tinting

Perhaps many have dealt with window tinting on their vehicles. Mine had it, started deteriorating and now is a mess. I need to get it removed and/or replaced. Any cautions, advice? I've heard of a company that does the work and will try to ask the best questions to see if they have done similar work, but always wonder what SHOULD I have known before I jumped in on something new.

Sandy

Old 10-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I removed my window tinting a few months ago. I thought about paying to have it done right, but after searching the web for tips on DIY experiences I decided to give it a shot. It turned out to be very easy and took less than an hour.

I sprayed each window inside with regular Windex - meaning containing ammonia - and spread it all around the window with a paper towel. I let the Windex soak on the window for a couple of minutes, then I sprayed the top edge again and began to scrape the top edge at a corner using a double edge steel razor blade until I removed enough tint to grab with my fingers. I then pulled the tint and while it didn't come off all in one sheet, it did come off in large pieces. I then sprayed and wiped and scaped until all the tint was removed from the window. I repeated this process for every window, being particularly careful with the rear window due to the defroster conductors that you don't want to damage.

Finish by giving all the windows a good cleaning.

Easy little project for only the cost of the blade(s), paper towels, and Windex with ammonia.

I have no experience with installing window tint so I'll leave that to others.

I guess I need to update my signature photo since my jag no longer has tint!

Last edited by GatorJoe; 10-10-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: added last sentence after seeing sig. photo
The following users liked this post:
Sandrahsfn (10-11-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,904 Likes on 3,208 Posts

Sandy, like Joe said, removing it is really easy. He is spot on with what needs to be done. Granted, I have removed the tint without applying any liquid and have had good luck.

When it comes to new tint, it is sounding like you are going to have someone do it for you. If that is the case, I recommend spending a little extra and going up in level on the tint available. You have the "$99 specials" that while it looks good for the first year, after that you can see where the tint is starting to loose its color and lighten up. After about 3 years, the tint will have lost almost all of its color except on the edge that is tucked up into the window seal. Look to get some of the lifetime tint. This is made with slightly different materials and while it costs a bit more, once you get it done, you won't have to worry about it again.

If you get some of the "metallic tints" (not metal color, but the tint part of the film is made out of a metal), you may find that it can interfere with any cell phone reception or the keyfob potentially doing the locks. So, something to pay attention to when talking with a shop.

If you are looking to do the tint job yourself, I would tell you to get your hands on some tint that you don't care about. E-bay sells a lot of the cheap tint (like I was mentioning above as part of the $99 specials). You can get a kit or two and spend an afternoon installing the tint yourself. This is where Youtube can be very helpful as you can hopefully watch some of these guys explaining what needs to be done and then you can apply that knowledge to your car. The side windows are easy. The big trick is having the window rolled down just a little bit (1/2" or less) and then wetting the film and getting it on the window without it folding over on itself. You will be amazed as to how much you can move the film once you have it on the glass. Then it is a matter of working out all the liquid and air bubbles. The rear window, well, I am still trying to figure that one out myself. In short, you need atleast 2 people when doing that large of a sheet. I have tried it doing it myself and every time I have messed up the film.

If you need to know more, just ask. I will tell you what I know.

The following users liked this post:
Sandrahsfn (10-11-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 05:59 PM
Default Truly simple

A thousand thanks for the reassurance that removing the tint would be an easy thing to accomplish. Windex and a razor blade. Little bit of effort, about an hour. VOILA!

Got in. Drove. It felt SO much more relaxing now that the window doesn't look permanently dirty or fuzzy. Crystal clear and clean!

Mahalo.

Sandy

Old 10-16-2013, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Go Sandy....

You did a write up for the forum detailing the whole process c/w before, during and after shots right??

Hopefully post them soon

Old 10-17-2013, 02:29 PM

Oh my. Before and after shots. Nope, didn't have the instinct, I was so excited to make the effort. My step by step was basically what was reported here. Yah!

Spray each window inside with Windex (checked to make sure it contained ammonia). Began to scrape the top edge at a corner using a double edge steel razor blade until I removed enough tint to grab with my fingers. It didn't come off all in one sheet, just worked with any bit or area that needed removal. I did the drivers' and passenger windows. They are sparkly, clear - no evidence of the work, scrapes or marks.

Amazing!

Sandy