I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 years old HSE - is this risky?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 02:17 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by enderle
The I-Pace came out in 2018 as a 2019 model and 2020 was little changed other than it came with the software updates and patching from the factory that the older car got during that first year and there were a considerable number of software issues with the 2019 car. But, assuming you make sure the car you get is fully patched, I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between 2019 and 2020. Typically it takes three years for any major changes outside of critical fixes. There may be some minor hardware changes that haven't been caught but I'm not aware of anyone that has called them out in either of the I-Pace forums or Facebook which I follow. Best of luck!
Thank you for the information. The module updates / patches was something I found important. Especially for an electric car and because it's the first production batch.
Good to hear the model was little changed hardware wise.
Yesterday I made the decision to buy a MY21 with Pivi Pro and 3 Phase charging.
It's an EV320 (Europe) model with less options (but all the options I wanted), but that doesn't bother me.
Price was just a bit more expensive than the full option 2018 model with 35.000km.
Considering I buy the car longterm, a basically new I-Pace with the new infotainment and 3 Phase was for me a bit more interesting / important.
Not that the 2018 model wasn't interesting, it's still a great car. And like you say, the model hasn't changed much.

It's my first EV, so I am curious how the experience will be.

Last edited by giomgio; 09-21-2021 at 02:21 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:25 AM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts

To be clear, every I-Pace can do Level 3 (three-phase) charging; I have one of the first cars shipped to the US and have used Level 3 chargers several times. What you got was a better onboard Phase 2 system that will charge the car faster at home (a worthwhile upgrade- 11KW rather than 7KW -that significantly lowers charging time if you have the correct Level 2 charger). I'd have gone that route for about that same price, too, as the charging improvement and AV update are worth the extra charge. You also get a bigger screen and haptics, which is nice. There is a digital mirror option I'd love (view out the back window is poor). Did you get that, and if you did, what do you think?

Old 09-26-2021, 05:48 AM

Sorry for the late reply! Yes, the faster charging at home is something I found important. Maybe not now, but for the future.
I am curious how the electric experience will be, with charging and all that stuff.
But based on a short test drive I really like how it drives.
It's on normal springs / suspension, not the air suspension, but it's so smooth and steering is still really direct.
I have an E-Pace at the moment, but the I-Pace is a totally different car to drive. Suspension on the E-Pace is a lot more firm.
The infotainment is indeed a nice upgrade, smooth and intuitive.

Unfortunately mine doesn't have the digital mirror, but I don't think I will miss this
I have never experienced the digital mirror, but the sales person said it's just a gadget and not many customers choose this option.
It's difficult for the brain to calculate and understand the digital moving view.

Old 09-27-2021, 04:31 PM

I've used the digital mirror on GM SUVs and it really is nice if you can't easily see out of the rearview mirror due to passengers or cargo. I know that I often fill my car up with boxes to take to the recycling center which blocks that mirror and I keep my backseat down so it doesn't block that view as well. It would be a feature I'd want as a result. Anyway congratulations on the new car hope you love it as much as I love mine!

Old 09-28-2021, 02:26 AM

When having passengers in the back or boxes that block te view I can imagine it's indeed a welcome option.
Thank you I hope so too (but I think I know already I will definitely enjoy it ).
It will be a total different experience and I am ready for it.

The following users liked this post:
enderle (09-28-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 09:23 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just picked up i-Pace 2022 HSE with Black Package

We originally ordered a Tesla model Y with performance but they kept pushing the date. Was going to be January until available. We test drove the Mach-E Mustang (which we liked) but it was 6 months to order. I used to own a RR Sport so I happen to call my local Jag dealer and they had gotten this beauty on the truck that same day I called. It was still wrapped. I told the sale rep we would be right over and after the test drive, immediately moved forward. Let me know if anyone has questions on the 2022 changes. More than happy to share. I cannot stress enough of how happy we are with it. I have a few friends with the Tesla model Y and hands down I love the Jag over the model Y.

The following 3 users liked this post by JagIpace:
Carbuff2 (10-08-2021), enderle (10-08-2021), MattRG (04-01-2022)
Old 10-08-2021, 04:47 AM

Great choice and really nice spec! Congrats!
Have you driven the Model Y? How do you like the driving of the I-Pace compared to the Mach-E and/or Model Y?

Old 03-26-2022, 02:05 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

My wife really wants one of these but the new ones are just too pricey for us and dealers in northern California are adding $10K to the sticker prices to make it worse. So I have looked for a used one and discovered that those are very scarce in the west, especially in California. I can just about bring myself to bear the cost of a 2019 one (about $50-55K) without gagging too much but they are very few and far between! The only paint colors I have seen offered, that I can stand, are a dark grey and a much preferred lighter grey. I can't go with black, white, or red (or electric blue!) and those seem to be by far the most common. Even the few grey 2019s I've seen listed within a thousand miles or so of home all have had black interiors Ugh! Oh, how I wish I could get one in BRG/tan but clearly that's not going to happen. I found a dark grey/black one in Seattle but by the time I could connect, it was sold. Then a lighter grey one in Denver, also with black interior, also sold by the time I could inquire. Then I found a listing in southern California, dark grey/black (even with 18" wheels--the others had 22" or 20"), and inquired. No response.

This is really frustrating. A couple of Jag dealers in Georgia seem to have quite a corner on these, including a few in more appealing color combos, but with BRANDED TITLES! What's up with that? How are Jaguar dealers brining themselves to sell (as "certified") these tainted-title lemon cars? Any insights?

Thanks,

Granville

Old 03-26-2022, 08:01 PM

Personally I'd avoid a Branded Title electric. Not a lot of people know how to work on electrics yet and the risk that someone screwed something up is high. The risk is a high voltage short that causes the battery cells to fail in a cascade and that'll take your house out. As far as the first year cars, the only sustaining problem I know of is the 12 volt battery, about $350 if I recall, and if you buy one I'd replace it unless it was already replaced. I haven't had to replace mine yet but if the dealer was closer (180 miles away) I'd have done it by now (I have one in my garage but replacing the thing requires disconnecting the power battery and I don't do high voltage). Currently, due to the shortage, new and used cars are in a sellers market due to the supply chain issues as you've discovered. Finally, mine is my favorite car to own so far (and I've had a crap ton of cars), so if you buy it right you'll likely love it. You will need to install a Level 2 charger at your home though, but driving by gas stations smiling and waving is soooo worth it! (Oh and I still haven't found an electric I like better so rather than leasing a new electric when my lease ran out, I bought the lease out). Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
MattRG (04-01-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 08:29 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks v much Enderle for your informative and encouraging post! I have found one that interests me and its only about 500 miles or so away, which is closer than most. It's dark grey, which I dont mind, but as with almost every listing I've seen listed it has black interior. I might bite and will certainly ask about the 12 volt battery. Tip mich appreciated.