I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Locking Doors on Car Exit

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 05:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto Locking Doors on Car Exit

Hello - I am new to this forum. I previously owned a Chevy Bolt which auto locked the doors, as long as the car was shut off and I exited with the key fob in my pocket. I never had to worry about locking the doors. I can't count the number of times that I've gotten out of the i-pace and forgot to manually lock the doors with the key fob or via the door handles. Jaguar, if you're listening, can you please add this feature via an OTA update? Thanks, Karl

The following users liked this post:
jlainie (09-05-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 11:03 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i would not like this option

Old 04-20-2020, 11:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@bashby Ideally, it would be an option that could be enabled/disabled via one of the two consoles. That way, those that would like this option could enable it and those that would not like it can leave it disabled.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:55 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts

Tesla's do this, in fact they go farther and will open the door for you as you approach the car. It is kind of a cool feature. The issue with it is some folks forget and leave their keys in the car and then, thinking the car will lock itself, walk away only to come back and find their car has a new owner. But I'd like the feature.

jlainie (09-05-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 03:16 AM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

My I-Pace does this and it annoys the hell out of me. I unlock the car, disconnect the charing cable, leave the car to put the charging cable back on the charger and it locks the doors.
The other annoying thing. I get drive through food, park the car leave for 10 seconds to place the food in the frunk, it shuts itself off.

Old 09-01-2020, 06:17 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts

I get out of the car to get the mail and it shuts itself off. On the positive side, I've seen videos of folks getting out of their running car for a few seconds only to see some vagrant jump in the driver's seat and drive the thing away. So, good news, that won't happen to us. But I agree it can be annoying.

hotpinkturban (11-30-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 07:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turn it off then.........i really miss this option. It is one of the handiest features most of us enjoy. I cannot believe the ipace is missing this feature. in my wildest dreams i never thought to ask about this one. This is and was a real disappointment. As much as i love the car, not having this option is actually quite shocking. it is convenience 101 for most other car makes................

Old 11-27-2020, 09:56 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I’ve never heard of this option on any car. I don’t think I’d like it, but I’d be willing to give it a try.

Old 11-27-2020, 10:50 AM
Default Auto makers that offer this feature.

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I’ve never heard of this option on any car. I don’t think I’d like it, but I’d be willing to give it a try.
HONDA, Acura, Toyota, Lexus Audi Chevy Ford etc....
really. I’ve had all these brands and this feature was standard on most of the mid tier models. Not even a premium feature.

Old 11-28-2020, 06:54 AM

Interesting. I own late model GMC and Porsche vehicles and they don’t have that option. Neither did our Audi before the I-Pace. Maybe I’m misunderstanding what we are talking about here....

Just to make sure I understand, the OP is talking about the car automatically locking itself after you exit the vehicle and walk away with the fob in your possession. All of my vehicles, including the I-Pace automatically lock the doors when moving over a certain speed (5 mph maybe?), but none of them automatically lock when I leave the vehicle as described above.

Last edited by Dennis C; 11-28-2020 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by diawa944
HONDA, Acura, Toyota, Lexus Audi Chevy Ford etc....
really. I’ve had all these brands and this feature was standard on most of the mid tier models. Not even a premium feature.
diawa944, the more that I’ve thought about this, the more I think you’re talking about what Jaguar calls “Drive-away Locking”. This feature meets your description. It’s something that is found in all of my vehicles, it’s not a premium feature, and it’s something that I would miss. What surprises me is that you are missing this feature in your I-Pace, but it is available in the settings.

Jaguar does offer something called Passive Arming for the alarm system, but this feature must be activated by your dealer, and it does not lock the vehicle. Your I-Pace also has a feature called “Automatic re-locking and re-arming of the alarm”. This feature will re-lock the car and re-arm the alarm if the car is unlocked using the fob, and a door is not opened for 40 seconds.

As I read about the locking functions of the I-Pace, I learned about single locking and double locking. I found that to be interesting.

I also looked into the passive locking described by the OP, and searched to see if this was an option on my other vehicles. It is not an option in my GMC truck. It is not an option in my Porsche 911. It was not an option in my Audi SQ5. The only vehicles that I’ve ever heard of having this functionality are the OP’s Chevy Bolt and the Tesla as mentioned above.

Please correct me if I’m misunderstanding this, or if there’s a way to access this in my other cars. I don’t think I would like it, but I’d like to try it out.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:14 PM

Hi Dennis,
I have those features active on my I pace.that is not what I mean.
with the key fob in my pocket or in my wife’s purse I just walk away from the vehicle and at my pre set time the vehicle auto locks all doors. Simple as that. I have in my car stable a 2005 Honda CR-V for the beach, 2014 Chevy pickup truck, 2018 Acura MDX, 2017 xfininity Lexus 460, Vw Passat and Lexus LS.
ALL- And I mean all of these cars had this feature.
because of this missing feature, every time I walk away from the car I forget to lock it. That’s what I mean about auto lock and not the locking of the door when put in reverse or at 5mph which the jag offers.

If someone leaves the key fob in the car it will not lock.
when my hands are full with a cup of coffee and my coat or briefcase I now need to actually lock the car.
this is unacceptable in my mind.
that is what I am trying to convey.
regards,

Old 12-02-2020, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I'm really surprised that all those cars that you mentioned have this feature, and none of my cars have ever had this feature. I can see why you'd miss it if you've had it on so many cars.