I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 07:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying advice

Thinking of changing the car at the minute and have been reading the i-Pace review online at the Green Car Guide and it seems pretty good.
What do you guys think? Would you buy one?
https://www.greencarguide.co.uk/car-...ic-hse-review/

Old 05-18-2020, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,464 Likes on 1,958 Posts

The car has had lots of rave reviews, and certainly seems well designed and built, and Jaguar can be proud of what they have produced. The only problem as I see it is it is a very up-market car priced accordingly. As such it surely has to be much more than an around-town shopping trolley like a Leaf, and that's where the downside lies. Unlike Tesla, you are totally at the mercy of the public charging points if you use it for any long trips, and these vary a lot in their charging rate and also state of maintenance. You could find when you get to a charging point that it is out-of-order, or somebody is already charging there and has just started. Have a look on Harry's Garage on Youtube where he gives a review, and also read the comments from EV and I-pace owners. He had great trouble recharging on a trip down to London, arriving at his planned recharge location, (a fuel station), to find all the charging points in use, and nowhere to even park to wait for one to become available. The other completely crazy thing about charging points is they seem to require you open an account before you can use the charger. Do you have to have an account every time you fill up with petrol ? Of course not, so this is a needless and stupid imposition. It also relies on you having a working mobile phone with you. The absolute weakest point in the whole electric vehicle offer is the charging, (unless you have a Tesla, of course).
If it were me, I'd stick to petrol or diesel for now and buy a used Leaf or whatever to use around town and see how you get on. If you're happy after a few months, then get the Jaguar.

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 05-18-2020 at 05:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Macca80 (06-10-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 06:36 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts

I love mine. But it does really depend on how you plan to drive it and the availability of chargers. You can get one pretty inexpensively at the moment as well as the dealers are really hungry. but if you drive under 200 miles a day and can put in a Level 2 charger it is a ton of fun.

The following users liked this post:
jlainie (09-14-2020)